Payed MODs are back.

Tairetsu

Hmm.

Wonder what the split is.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's probably the exact same bullshit as before but with a way smaller announcement so people don't notice.

So stupid, the real way to go about this would be a Donate button on the workshop page, that way people could choose to give money for a mod if they enjoy it enough...

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's probably the exact same bullshit as before but with a way smaller announcement so people don't notice.

They wouldn't be nearly stupid enough to just bring back what caused them massive grief.

theres a catch somewhere in there.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Lets be honest. Steam is a service therefore they should have adequate support to handle peoples problems. Pay to win is always unfair.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Hmm.

I bet there never was a split; it just turns out their first iteration was crap, and now they think they fixed what was wrong with their system to begin with, chiefly the ability to rip off other work for profit.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

So stupid, the real way to go about this would be a Donate button on the workshop page, that way people could choose to give money for a mod if they enjoy it enough...

Completely agree, I never buy DLC because I find it to be bullshit most of the time, I would definitely not pay MODs that are the exact same thing

They wouldn't be nearly stupid enough to just bring back what caused them massive grief.

theres a catch somewhere in there.

Regardless, we have to give Valve pressure to spit the beans one more time, and keep pushing back every time they try. 

Hmm.

It would probably be similar to in-game workshop items. E.g. Dota 2 content creators get something stupid like 25% before tax of the total sale. 

Kinda losing hope in Valve these days.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

It won't last long.

Desktop: ASUS Z97-AR | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon | ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX OC | Corsair 650W TX | Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz | Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB | SilentiumPC HE1225 | Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv. | Razer Deathstalker | Razer Taipan | SteelSeries DEX | SteelSeries Siberia Elite Black Prism Edition | DXRacer Maximum Series | Bluemic Snowball Aluminium 
Laptop: ASUS Zenbook UX32LN

Camera: Nikon D5300

I think it is outrageous that gamers feel they're entitled to use mods for free. A person and/or studio has dedicated time, money and resources to developing part of a game, who are you to play it for free? You should feel lucky that so much content is available for free, and appreciate how some modders need money to continue modding. Some mods add huge additional parts to games and took ages to build, just like a game does. I feel modders deserve money just how developers do.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Lets be honest. Steam is a service therefore they should have adequate support to handle peoples problems. Pay to win is always unfair.

Unfortunately, that's a problem with Steam - their customer support is, well, known for being exceptionally poor.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Regardless, we have to give Valve pressure to spit the beans one more time, and keep pushing back every time they try. 

Sound wisdom, but only for those who are passionate enough to keep trying, at some point people just aren't going to bother. I'm already quite disinterested in it, but I'm rather apathetic to things like this anyways, not that I don't think it's a bad plan to begin with. But we can all agree that a donate button is the best course of action. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

I think it is outrageous that gamers feel they're entitled to use mods for free. A person and/or studio has dedicated time, money and resources to developing part of a game, who are you to play it for free? You should feel lucky that so much content is available for free, and appreciate how some modders need money to continue modding. Some mods add huge additional parts to games and took ages to build, just like a game does. I feel modders deserve money just how developers do.

I don't dispute people wanting to make money off of modding. If anything, I welcome it.

But forcing payment for mods that aren't even guaranteed to work a few months down the line or could conflict with another mod is an exceptionally bad way of going about this.

Donations would work better, as far as I'm concerned. Don't force the purchase of mods: incentivise it.

DAYTONA

Donations are a far better way to reward modders for their work, people can give money base on what they feel the MOD is worth, and people who CAN'T give money can enjoy the content for free and donate later down the line.

I for example don't have a job,I cannot really give money towards something like this, and I add MODs to my games because I can't buy new ones, if I could enjoy a MOD now, when I actually have money to give, I would definitely do so, consumer trust is something important in community projects like MODs are.

That's not the issue here, the issue is their method of implementation of the thing. Remember last time people got ripped off for bs mods and the work of other moders were stolen and sold for a profit. 

Its just steam trying to milk money out of the gamer. They know people will buy games and waste their money on skins for csgo for example. People will still pay whether they like it or not because they need to get their problem fixed. I used steam support once and I cant remember what for, something with CSGO and their response was "try restarting the game or uninstall". Waited 3 weeks just for that, why bother...

I don't dispute people wanting to make money off of modding. If anything, I welcome it.

But forcing payment for mods that aren't even guaranteed to work a few months down the line or could conflict with another mod is an exceptionally bad way of going about this.

Donations would work better, as far as I'm concerned. Don't force the purchase of mods: incentivise it.

I could release a broken game right now and charge people for it. People wouldn't buy and those who did would be outraged and complain so others would not purchase it. Same situation with a mod, it's up to the modder to ensure their mod is complete. We as consumers are able to vote on and review mods. Additionally, why would a modder mod something extensively at a loss, hobbyists can only go so far. I would be much more willing to mod if I was guaranteed some income.

Donations are a far better way to reward modders for their work, people can give money base on what they feel the MOD is worth, and people who CAN'T give money can enjoy the content for free and donate later down the line.

I for example don't have a job,I cannot really give money towards something like this, and I add MODs to my games because I can't buy new ones, if I could enjoy a MOD now, when I actually have money to give, I would definitely do so, consumer trust is something important in community projects like MODs are.

That's capitalism. You buy what you can, and you don't what you can't. Mods are products just like anything else, why do they get an exception?

That's not the issue here, the issue is their method of implementation of the thing. Remember last time people got ripped off for bs mods and the work of other moders were stolen and sold for a profit. 

A trusting/banning system could work, with voting and reviews etc. If you upload a BS mod, you can be banned. Release videos showing your level of completion, etc. Create a testers program - release the mods for free to a select few who have the responsibility of playing the mod and telling others how completed it is/isn't.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Its just steam trying to milk money out of the gamer. They know people will buy games and waste their money on skins for csgo for example. People will still pay whether they like it or not because they need to get their problem fixed. I used steam support once and I cant remember what for, something with CSGO and my response was "try restarting the game or uninstall". Waited 3 weeks just for that, why bother...

I bother because if we accept we have to pay MODs on Steam then we are going to accept we have to pay them everywhere eventually. 

That's capitalism. You buy what you can, and you don't what you can't. Mods are products just like anything else, why do they get an exception?

The product is the game, if we are going solely on capitalism then it should be (and it technically is) illegal to make a profit off slight modifications of someone else's work, which is why the modder only gets 25% anyways, or at least that was the case last time around. 

wait, is this new? 

Yes 

I could release a broken game right now and charge people for it. People wouldn't buy and those who did would be outraged and complain so others would not purchase it. Same situation with a mod, it's up to the modder to ensure their mod is complete. We as consumers are able to vote on and review mods. Additionally, why would a modder mod something extensively at a loss, hobbyists can only go so far. I would be much more willing to mod if I was guaranteed some income.

There's no guarantee of a mod making a profit, however. If you look at them in the same way, there are a lot of games that don't make it as big because their install base is so small and the returns don't justify it.

Again, I have no problem with people wanting to make money off of this. But at the same time, forcing the purchase of something that more often than not is purely cosmetic, fan made, and has no significant impact on the game as a whole doesn't really make sense to me.

Also, the cuts that modders would get would be...well, let's say they wouldn't exactly be the lion's share, would they? It IS Steam, after all.

DAYTONA

A trusting/banning system could work, with voting and reviews etc. If you upload a BS mod, you can be banned. Release videos showing your level of completion, etc. Create a testers program - release the mods for free to a select few who have the responsibility of playing the mod and telling others how completed it is/isn't.

I think we've misunderstood each other. I'm not saying mods should be free, and frankly I don't care, the market will naturally decide. If there is a market for people to pay for mods then they shall pay, if not then paid mods won't last. I'm just saying that their past implementation was garbage and don't trust valve's resurgence of their system, especially because of their poor customer service. However I do feel that the donation system still strikes a better balance between the two forces here. 

I bother because if we accept we have to pay MODs on Steam then we are going to accept we have to pay them everywhere eventually. 

I mean why bother respond to me if they are gonna give me an answer of uninstall the game. Not about this current issue lol.

I mean why bother respond to me if they are gonna give me an answer of uninstall the game. Not about this current issue lol.

Oh! well, because they have to pretend they work.