Payed MODs are back.

Tairetsu

I bother because if we accept we have to pay MODs on Steam then we are going to accept we have to pay them everywhere eventually. 

The product is the game, if we are going solely on capitalism then it should be (and it technically is) illegal to make a profit off slight modifications of someone else's work, which is why the modder only gets 25% anyways, or at least that was the case last time around. 

Yes 

Yes, that's the problem isn't it? The slippery slope of having to nickel and dime everything, but that's false logic. Just because a=b doesn't mean b shall equal c. However it does appeal to the ethical side, doesn't it?

There's no guarantee of a mod making a profit, however. If you look at them in the same way, there are a lot of games that don't make it as big because their install base is so small and the returns don't justify it.

Again, I have no problem with people wanting to make money off of this. But at the same time, forcing the purchase of something that more often than not is purely cosmetic, fan made, and has no significant impact on the game as a whole doesn't really make sense to me.

Also, the cuts that modders would get would be...well, let's say they wouldn't exactly be the lion's share, would they? It IS Steam, after all.

There's no guarantee of anyone making any sort of profit on anything, only higher security. Market forces will decide in the end, and you're on the side that believes it should be free. It's why Luke says vote with your wallet, but there's never gonna be enough people to cause a dramatic change, not yet at least. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Yes, that's the problem isn't it? The slippery slope of having to nickel and dime everything, but that's false logic. Just because a=b doesn't mean b shall equal c. However it does appeal to the ethical side, doesn't it?

There's no guarantee of anyone making any sort of profit on anything, only higher security. Market forces will decide in the end, and you're on the side that believes it should be free. It's why Luke says vote with your wallet, but there's never gonna be enough people to cause a dramatic change, not yet at least.

No, I do not say it should be *free*; I say it should be *incentivised*. You can download it for free, but make it so that you can provide a donation for access to stuff like beta patches or work in progress material.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

No, I do not say it should be *free*; I say it should be *incentivised*. You can download it for free, but make it so that you can provide a donation for access to stuff like beta patches or work in progress material.

I agree, and I think we both know what I meant by free.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

Not sure what you were calling slippery slope there, care to clarify? 

I agree, and I think we both know what I meant by free.

"You're on the side that said it should be free."

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Not sure what you were calling slippery slope there, care to clarify? 

When one thing leads to another just because a has caused b to happen. One famous argument for evolution not being banned has that if you can ban talking about evolution in schools, then you can ban it being printed, then ban it from being taught on our own private homes with our own family. Though quite ethically powerful, it is still false logic.

"You're on the side that said it should be free."

I think you might've wrote that b4 I made the quick edit, heh heh, sorry.

When one thing leads to another just because a has caused b to happen. One famous argument for evolution not being banned has that if you can ban talking about evolution in schools, then you can ban it being printed, then ban it from being taught on our own private homes with our own family. Though quite ethically powerful, it is still false logic.

If forced then yes, if accepted, over time, then it does happen, I mean, we ended up accepting horse armor DLC eventually, it just took a while and it took it be called different. 

If forced then yes, if accepted, over time, then it does happen, I mean, we ended up accepting horse armor DLC eventually, it just took a while and it took it be called different. 

Well I guess that's evidence to the contrary. 

Now everyone will make trash mods like the "gabens HD genitals" mod and charge 20€ for it xD

i think most good moders wont charge for their mods, and i dont really care

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The product is the game, if we are going solely on capitalism then it should be (and it technically is) illegal to make a profit off slight modifications of someone else's work, which is why the modder only gets 25% anyways, or at least that was the case last time around. 

I don't know where the hell you pulled that piece of information from. I'm typing this on a Ducky keyboard. Ducky did not event keyboards, LEDs, MX switches, cables, rubber, PCB but are building on all of those inventions. Additionally, if someone was to release custom key caps for my keyboard, they would charge me and be perfectly legal. It is NOT illegal to make profit out of modifying someone's work. 

There's no guarantee of a mod making a profit, however. If you look at them in the same way, there are a lot of games that don't make it as big because their install base is so small and the returns don't justify it.

Again, I have no problem with people wanting to make money off of this. But at the same time, forcing the purchase of something that more often than not is purely cosmetic, fan made, and has no significant impact on the game as a whole doesn't really make sense to me.

Also, the cuts that modders would get would be...well, let's say they wouldn't exactly be the lion's share, would they? It IS Steam, after all.

My main point here is that people shouldn't treat mods any differently than any other product. People pay for posters, that have no difference to my wall other than cosmetic. It's a picture printed on paper. Can cost £10. It is still a product that is somewhat desirable. 

I think we've misunderstood each other. I'm not saying mods should be free, and frankly I don't care, the market will naturally decide. If there is a market for people to pay for mods then they shall pay, if not then paid mods won't last. I'm just saying that their past implementation was garbage and don't trust valve's resurgence of their system, especially because of their poor customer service. However I do feel that the donation system still strikes a better balance between the two forces here. 

Fair enough :)

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I can see how this could spiral out of control... money made the studios go mad, and who's to say this won't go that way. It could just become accepted, in which case it's a small leap to DLC v2. I'd much rather have a donation system. 

What happens when a mod causes crashes after mods have become commercialized? I have the Republic at War total conversion mod for Empire at war, and it crashes every few hours. As a free mod It's totally alright and I just save every 15 mins, but if it's paid, it better work, something that won't happen just because of the way those things always are. What if I've been shopping around and try out graphics mods? Why should I shell out a few bucks just to uninstall the mod next week because I want a different sword mod or tree mod? What kind of legal responsibilities do mod creators now have? What if a mod looks like it could have ripped another? Does the teen who spent a few hours one weekend on a cool power-up that happens to be similar to a power up in a larger mod have to get involved in a lengthy legal battle with a group of modders which now has the cash to stifle other small-time modders, or does he get a "copyright strike"? Yeah there may be questions that don't need answering now, but if mods become a  monster, people (or maybe just I) will want answers.

I don't do signatures.

I think it is outrageous that gamers feel they're entitled to use mods for free. A person and/or studio has dedicated time, money and resources to developing part of a game, who are you to play it for free? You should feel lucky that so much content is available for free, and appreciate how some modders need money to continue modding. Some mods add huge additional parts to games and took ages to build, just like a game does. I feel modders deserve money just how developers do.

I think it's absolutely outrageous that you would condone such a system like this. Did you not see what happened when they first introduced paid mods? Did you not see the multiple one weapon DLC that cost $2-$5 each? The broken armor that only worked on males?

There is absolutely no quality control whatsoever, this is only a way for Steam and AAA publishers to nickle and dime us further. I will NEVER accept a system like this because someone will come in and abuse it and then the service will become just like the mobile marketplace, full of bullshit overpriced trash.

This will never work, ever.

Wait, this is not about small mod files, this is about mods like Synergy and the like.

This is the only paid mod that is on their list of paid mods.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280740/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I think it is outrageous that gamers feel they're entitled to use mods for free. A person and/or studio has dedicated time, money and resources to developing part of a game, who are you to play it for free? You should feel lucky that so much content is available for free, and appreciate how some modders need money to continue modding. Some mods add huge additional parts to games and took ages to build, just like a game does. I feel modders deserve money just how developers do.

Moding is a labor of love to the game. Not a business. As soon as we start treating it like a business the sooner it becomes a way to milk people's trust. The donation idea is by far the best.

It's funny you think that 'studios' develop mods.

Studios develop their own games my friend.

It is but one or a group of people who have different skills and decide to work on an extension thinking 'wouldn't it be cool to...'

Desktop: ASUS Z97-AR | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon | ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX OC | Corsair 650W TX | Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz | Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB | SilentiumPC HE1225 | Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv. | Razer Deathstalker | Razer Taipan | SteelSeries DEX | SteelSeries Siberia Elite Black Prism Edition | DXRacer Maximum Series | Bluemic Snowball Aluminium 
Laptop: ASUS Zenbook UX32LN

Camera: Nikon D5300

I think it's absolutely outrageous that you would condone such a system like this. Did you not see what happened when they first introduced paid mods? Did you not see the multiple one weapon DLC that cost $2-$5 each? The broken armor that only worked on males?

There is absolutely no quality control whatsoever, this is only a way for Steam and AAA publishers to nickle and dime us further. I will NEVER accept a system like this because someone will come in and abuse it and then the service will become just like the mobile marketplace, full of bullshit overpriced trash.

This will never work, ever.

Mate, have you seen Steam? It's the same case with games, some are shit and unfinished and purely there to scam you - others are not. It's about finding the good stuff. People are free to charge what they want for their games and you don't complain, this is no different.

Moding is a labor of love to the game. Not a business. As soon as we start treating it like a business the sooner it becomes a way to milk people's trust. The donation idea is by far the best.

For some, yes. However, how would you like it if you spent months coding an extra section of a game and wanted a measly $2 per purchase in order to reimburse the time and resources you spent on it...to get told that you're ruining the system and should be doing this out of love? Unless you yourself have modded extensively, and I mean create mods, then you cannot tell someone else that what they are doing is a labour of love. 

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Mate, have you seen Steam? It's the same case with games, some are shit and unfinished and purely there to scam you - others are not. It's about finding the good stuff. People are free to charge what they want for their games and you don't complain, this is no different.

For some, yes. However, how would you like it if you spent months coding an extra section of a game and wanted a measly $2 per purchase in order to reimburse the time and resources you spent on it...to get told that you're ruining the system and should be doing this out of love? Unless you yourself have modded extensively, and I mean create mods, then you cannot tell someone else that what they are doing is a labour of love.

I loled.

I'm not seeing any official announcement anywhere, I don't think they're coming back.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I'm not seeing any official announcement anywhere, I don't think they're coming back.

They are not coming back, this is about other kinds of mods.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.