My Brothers Rig

So for my brother I need a LGA 775 CPU, His MoBo does not support overclocking, so I was thinking stock Q6600 or stock E8500. What is better?

................................ Why doesn't he just upgrade the motherboard too? Why stay on the platform?

Why can't some people just stick to the question?

Why can't some people use their own time/abilities to answer their own questions? 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Q6600+or+E8500

In case you don't know what to do with that link, here you go: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/705/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E8500_vs_Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600.html

Because we are here to help and give suggestions. If you don't want input from a lot of people, then go to a different site.

Why can't some people use their abilities to answer their own questions? 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Q6600+or+E8500

In case you don't know what to do with that link, here you go: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/705/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E8500_vs_Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600.html

I guess not knowing a quad core is better than a dual core is a problem in its own.

What motherboard does he have specifically? That will dictate what chips will and won't work.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Because we are here to help and give suggestions. If you don't want input from a lot of people, then go to a different site.

I asked the question if one cpu was better or not, I did not ask if he should upgrade or not.

I guess not knowing a quad core is better than a dual core is a problem in its own.

I don't know anything about the two processors, I didn't like his response to another member suggestion that's why I replied to him, I guess you are right. 

Okay, say we stick to the question.  What is his budget, currency, location, and what is he doing with said rig?

Thanks, no budget as long as we are on the 775 socket, we are in the US and he plays Games he has a R9 280.

I asked the question if one cpu was better or not, I did not ask if he should upgrade or not.

OK ricer.

I don't know anything about the two processors, I didn't like his response to another member suggestion that's why I replied to him, I guess you are right. 

Are you saying he is wrong or I am wrong? :wacko:

If you don't want people to suggest different things than what your question specifically asks. You will need to be more specific and try to explain why you can't do something different than your original plan. Many of us here know that you can get a new motherboard and cpu for an upgraded platform for pretty cheap that's why he suggested it. If you can get one for a good price it might be more beneficial to do that.

Just give us a little more information and we are willing to play ball. 

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

What motherboard does he have specifically? That will dictate what chips will and won't work.

The intel DG45ID

If you don't want people to suggest different things that what your question specifically asks. Then be more specific and try to explain why you can't do something different than your original plan. Many of us here know that you can get a new motherboard and cpu for an upgraded platform for pretty cheap that's why he suggested it. If you can get one for a good price it might be more beneficial to do that.

Just give us a little more information and we are willing to play ball. 

Makes Sense but I never said anything close to upgrading anything.

Yeah, don't use a site like that for reference, please.

The 4 cores will be better for today's games and multi tasking in general. The benchmark on the site is ancient and even then those sites are known to put out less than accurate information.

Makes sense sorry if I was misunderstood.

Makes Sense but I never said anything close to upgrading anything.

The quad core will be better in the long run.

Though still if you can find a platform upgrade and cpu for cheap I'd suggest going that route. Hope we helped!

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

The quad core will be better in the long run.

Though still if you can find a platform upgrade and cpu for cheap I'd suggest going that route. Hope we helped!

Thanks a lot for thise that helped.

Thanks, no budget as long as we are on the 775 socket, we are in the US and he plays Games he has a R9 280.

If he currently has a Dual Core CPU and he is noticing that is hitting a brick wall then yes the Quad Core will be the better option.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The intel DG45ID

That's good. It will support the whole run of available CPU's. You could go for a Q9300 or better since it has support for the 1333MHz FSB, that way he gets maximum performance without needing to OC. A Q6600 as some have suggested is usually only viable in an overclocking situation or if the board maxes out at 1066MHz FSB.

Q9300, Q9500, and even the QX9650 are available on eBay in varying quantities and for (usually) low prices.

*Edit. After checking it may not have the mircocode updates for the QX series. Could be wrong, Intel's documentation for motherboards is shit. It does support the Q9650.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

That's good. It will support the whole run of available CPU's. You could go for a Q9300 or better since it has support for the 1333MHz FSB, that way he gets maximum performance without needing to OC. A Q6600 as some have suggested is usually only viable in an overclocking situation or if the board maxes out at 1066MHz FSB.

Q9300, Q9500, and even the QX9650 are available on eBay in varying quantities and for (usually) low prices.

*Edit. After checking it may not have the mircocode updates for the QX series. Could be wrong, Intel's documentation for motherboards is shit. It does support the Q9650.

So do you think I should buy the better out of the three CPUs you listed?