Is it possible for software to turn a 360p video to 1080p?

Basically, is there software that can increase the resolution of a video? I'm asking because I've been wondering exactly how people can (I JUST forgot the word for it) remodel/enhance/(insert correct word) old films from wars and stuff. 

You can upscale it yes. It won't look that good though

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Yes. It could just copy the value of one pixel into the pixels surrounding it.

So it won't look too good.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yes, but the pixels will be essentially blown up. The data is missing and cannot be brought back. Certain programs might be able to estimate where the pixels would go, but it wouldn't be a perfect representation at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

old films from wars and stuff. 

Old movies were recorded on film, which since they still have the negatives of the films they can extract them now at a higher resolution. That's why digital movies around the 90's and early 2000's don't have remasteres because they weren't recorded on film and instead are digital.

it's not just that easy. Yes, you can upscale a video but it won't make the image any better. You'd have to enhance each frame in order for it to get any better. This is done by certain filters, like AA for gaming, so you could get that higher resolution and actually make use of it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

it's not just that easy. Yes, you can upscale a video but it won't make the image any better. You'd have to enhance each frame in order for it to get any better. This is done by certain filters, like AA for gaming, so you could get that higher resolution and actually make use of it.

Except the only form of AA that renders higher resolutions is SSAA.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

would be like taking a small ass picture, and scaling it up, and it would just be ugly

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Except the only form of AA that renders higher resolutions is SSAA.

I was using that as a example of sharpening a image at the same resolution.  Obviously we wouldn't remaster Star Wars The Empire Strikes back with AA.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

You can upscale it, but there's a problem with that.

A 360p video consists of images that are compressed to be small enough so that many hundreds of thousands of images can be strung together, whilst maintaining a small enough file size. The images are compressed, as a result, and therefore have imperfections such as artifacting. It also doesn't help that if an image is at 360p, upscaling to 1080p is not going to look pleasant.

It's down to the images being raster in nature. Because videos consist of multiple rasterised images, scaling them up is going to make them look off at the lightest. Because you're scaling the image size to nine times of its original, it's not going to take all that kindly to it.

TL;DR: Upscaling, yes. True 1080p? KEK!

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

A 360p video consists of images that are compressed to be small enough so that many hundreds of thousands of images can be strung together, whilst maintaining a small enough file size. The images are compressed, as a result, and therefore have imperfections such as artifacting. It also doesn't help that if an image is at 360p, upscaling to 1080p is not going to look pleasant.

Don't confuse resolution and compression.

Don't confuse resolution and compression.

I wasn't. Or at least, not intending to.

What I meant was that the resolution doesn't change between the images but depending on how compressed each image is, it can reflect on the quality of it, which is already academic when you try to upscale it to 1080p.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

As everyone else has said, yes you can upscale in video and render out a 360p original into 1080p output.  Is it a good idea to do so?  The answer is NO.

Take a photo image, the best quality you can find, that is exactly the size of a single frame from a 360p video.  Then enlarge that image to 1080p size and see the quality of the image.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

As everyone else has said, yes you can upscale in video and render out a 360p original into 1080p output.  Is it a good idea to do so?  The answer is NO.

Take a photo image, the best quality you can find, that is exactly the size of a single frame from a 360p video.  Then enlarge that image to 1080p size and see the quality of the image.

Depending on the method of capture, the 360p screenshot will actually look worse than the live 360p video. I found this to be true in applications such as Snipping Tool.

Depending on the method of capture, the 360p screenshot will actually look worse than the live 360p video. I found this to be true in applications such as Snipping Tool.

I'm not telling him to take a screenshot, I am telling him to find any image that is of the same dimensions as a frame of 360p video.  I don't care if it's just a photo he found online and cropped to those dimensions.

@OP

If you record something in 1080p and process it in a software like Adobe Premiere and render out a 360p video, there is no way to take that 360p output and again use the same software to render out a 1080p video that is of the same quality as the original video.  The first process of 1080p --> 360p has already discarded a lot of data which is not saved in the output file to be recovered.  The process didn't compress the video, it made an entirely new version of lower quality.  You can't recover what is not there, the software will run some data interpolation processes to try and automatically fill in the gaps by comparing data from neighboring pixels.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I'm not telling him to take a screenshot, I am telling him to find any image that is of the same dimensions as a frame of 360p video.  I don't care if it's just a photo he found online and cropped to those dimensions.

The way I looked at your post, it seemed like you were suggesting him to take a snapshot from an existing 360p video. If that is not the case, then I agree with you.

Basically, is there software that can increase the resolution of a video? I'm asking because I've been wondering exactly how people can (I JUST forgot the word for it) remodel/enhance/(insert correct word) old films from wars and stuff. 

Believe it or not, even old film was very high resolution.  That's why you can see really old films put on blu ray. A 36x24mm piece of high quality film can translate to up to 20 megapixels.  35mm film has been the standard for films since the early 1900s.

Believe it or not, even old film was very high resolution.  That's why you can see really old films put on blu ray. A 36x24mm piece of high quality film can translate to up to 20 megapixels.  35mm film has been the standard for films since the early 1900s.

Yes however film resolution can be set to any as long as the original film can be scanned.  But something digitized, unless the file contains hidden data that allows for restoration of unused resolution, it cannot be upscaled and keep the same quality.