PSU Coil whine?

Hemanse

I have a XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W PSU, its always had some high pitched, what im guessing is coil whine, so does my GTX 770, but when the case is closed its not very noticeable. I recently bought a 970 and the high pitched sound increased quite dramatically and the 970 also had a pretty damn loud buzzing, first i thought maybe it could be due to higher power draw of the 970, but then i remembered that afaik the 970 draws less power then the 770.

Guess my question is, is coil whine just based on luck when it comes to PSUs, just like its a luck of the draw when it comes to the 900 series and coil whine?

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Some people are unlucky and get a 970 with whine. If you are still within the return period, I would return it. 

It's luck of the draw. My AX860 has coil whine. Doesn't do anything, it's just annoying. 

-SNIP-

The Gtx 970 is known to have a coil whine and isn't uncommon but it can also be attributed to the combination of that specific PSU you have and GPU combo, it's the luck of the draw sometimes with this.

I have a XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W PSU, its always had some high pitched, what im guessing is coil whine, so does my GTX 770, but when the case is closed its not very noticeable. I recently bought a 970 and the high pitched sound increased quite dramatically and the 970 also had a pretty damn loud buzzing, first i thought maybe it could be due to higher power draw of the 970, but then i remembered that afaik the 970 draws less power then the 770.

Guess my question is, is coil whine just based on luck when it comes to PSUs, just like its a luck of the draw when it comes to the 900 series and coil whine?

You have the worst coil whine luck ever buddy. About all I can say. Some designs commonly have coil whine and 970s are some of those designs.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You have the worst coil whine luck ever buddy. About all I can say. Some designs commonly have coil whine and 970s are some of those designs.

I am also quite sensitive to high pitched noises, with my 770 + XFX combo its not so bad, but with the 970 and XFX it was quite bad, the 970 is returned tho :)

Some people are unlucky and get a 970 with whine. If you are still within the return period, I would return it. 

Yeah i did just return it, just gonna stick with my 770 for now, the 970 didnt seem like enough of an upgrade when im still just on 1080p

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2