if you upgrade hardware w windows 10 you will have to buy it! :(

Maverick5500

this is why I'm buying retail version this time round

I'm mainly talking about computer hardware. Not real life needs tbh. These parts are important too but you have to think about it closely, you are getting a new PC, bought Win10 a long time ago. or wait, bought Windows 7 or 8.1 cuz these don't have this retarded limitation and expect it to work with your new PC. But no if Microsoft decides that with Windows 10 there's a limitation .. then sir I will have to roll back to Windows 8.1 or find myself a crack.

As much as I love and admire Windows 10, I can't have something like this in my way. It's not fair. Unless again, Im reading it wrong and a "CD Key" will guarantee me a LIFETIME license.

With regards to windows, it has been this way for years. At the very least since windows xp. People have just been able to get around it by using phone activation, and speaking to an MS rep to get a new activation code. Back when I used to have a new system at least once a year I did this a lot with windows media center 2005, and had to do so a couple of times with vista. An OEM key is only supposed to be used the once, and it has always been the same. Heck, at one point you couldn't even buy the OEM version on its own, you had to buy it with a piece of computer hardware.

From what I have gathered, the free upgrade to win10 lasts for the life of the device. So that means when the motherboard dies, the license dies with it. And should be the same for any OEM versions. For retail versions, it should be the same as it always has been.

As tech support seems to be contracted out poorly

Yeah, but it's cheap.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

No - your key will still be a retail key.

You'll use your existing product key

So I do a fresh Windows 10 install and use the Windows 7 key thats in the box when asked by the installer for my Windows 10 key?

So I do a fresh Windows 10 install and use the Windows 7 key thats in the box when asked by the installer for my Windows 10 key?

Correct

No, I just think it's shit that such a licence exists.

It amazes me that you will defend literally anything that Microsoft does. Whether it be an OS full of spyware or what is essentially a four year subscription to an OS.

Since when is pointing out the facts the same as defending "literally everything"?

Staples put a convenient sticker on the box above the upgrade part.

That's just BS from staples, you have a right to be pissed with them for that. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Since when is pointing out the facts the same as defending "literally everything"?

You didn't point out the facts. You took a post in which I said that when you stop and think about the concept of OEM licences is pretty shitty and you got incredibly defensive of Microsoft's use of them. I know what an OEM licence is. I think they are shit. You can patronise me all you like, you missed the point.

The "literally everything" was also in reference to you seeing text that came from Microsoft about the contents of the data they want to sent to their cloud by default (including internet history, and contents of emails) and denying that it says that. Now that you bring it up, you have a very interesting relationship with facts.

Whenever anyone has a gripe with any aspect of Microsoft's practices, software or favoured air fresheners you can bet you'll be there to try and contradict them, regardless of how subjective or even accurate their assessment may be.

Correct

That's weird, I recall reading an MS statement that the old keys will not work. (source, first point under "Details")

What's even weirder is that the keys don't seem to matter anymore. 

I just upgraded my retail 8.1 to 10 (for VM testing), and the W10 key after that upgrade is exactly the same as the one a customer got when I upgraded his Win7 Home Premium OEM version.  I recognized the last digits so I looked up my notes.  Other people are also reporting this. 

I went one further and did a clean install on a VM that didn't have an OS before.  Same key as my legit upgrade, but unlike the legit upgrade I can't get the clean install to activate.

It would appear that Microsoft registers the hardware ID in their database rather than relying on keys. That really sucks, I did the upgrade on a VM that was running on my main PC but plan to use the VM only on my laptop really.  Let's hope I can just copy the VM over, otherwise it's going to be a long night ...

EDIT : long night it is.  Had to create a new VM on the laptop, install 8.1 on that, activate it, then upgrade to 10.  

well my friend had an oem dell desktop that we changed the motherboard in 3 times and the cpu twice. it did deactivate windows but we called microsoft and they activated it sooooooooooo  also we changed socket type as well and video card and ram the only original thing was the hdd

You didn't point out the facts. You took a post in which I said that when you stop and think about the concept of OEM licences is pretty shitty and you got incredibly defensive of Microsoft's use of them. I know what an OEM licence is. I think they are shit. You can patronise me all you like, you missed the point.

The "literally everything" was also in reference to you seeing text that came from Microsoft about the contents of the data they want to sent to their cloud by default (including internet history, and contents of emails) and denying that it says that. Now that you bring it up, you have a very interesting relationship with facts.

Whenever anyone has a gripe with any aspect of Microsoft's practices, software or favoured air fresheners you can bet you'll be there to try and contradict them, regardless of how subjective or even accurate their assessment may be.

Someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.  I never quoted you, mentioned you or even directed my post at you.  It was a general reflection of how people are whinging and whining because they are buying the cheaper OEM license and yet some how think they should be entitled to all the benefits of a full license.  If you personally don't agree with the existence of  OEM licenses then you not only don't have to buy one but you shouldn't you have any issues with a full retail license anyway.  So it appears you are arguing against a product you aren't forced to buy using a demographic of people you don't claim to associate with in a scenario that has zero effect on you.   

But if it makes you feel better then by all means continue taking out your anger on me.  I am sure I am not the only person who is being accused of some sort white knightery.   I'll dispute any claim against any company that is BS or ill conceived.    The fact you are getting worked up so much over this tells me you might be a little too emotionally invested in your opinion.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

even if i upgrade mobo?

Returning after 8 years dormant

so if you came from a retail version of 8.1 and upgraded and changed your cpu you woulndnt need to buy a another license?

what about a new mobo?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

so if you came from a retail version of 8.1 and upgraded and changed your cpu you woulndnt need to buy a another license?

what about a new mobo?

The upgrade is OEM, so technically you would have to go back to your retail 8.1, but given the upgrade is good for the first year just upgrade your mobo before the year is out and your go to go for the life of the pc, (technically ;) )

Activating the upgrade is open for the first year, so far as its been explained to me, even after the year you can reinstall 10 or your original OS and upgrade, and retain that upgrade license. It may be classified as an OEM 10 license but every source I have seen has said that if the upgrade is redeemed during the first year the license will still work for upgrading after the year is up if you need to reinstall, no caveat for hardware was ever mentioned. Although with as poor as the technical PR has been that could very well be a repetitive lapse rather than accurate reporting.

That's weird, I recall reading an MS statement that the old keys will not work. (source, first point under "Details")

What's even weirder is that the keys don't seem to matter anymore. 

I just upgraded my retail 8.1 to 10 (for VM testing), and the W10 key after that upgrade is exactly the same as the one a customer got when I upgraded his Win7 Home Premium OEM version.  I recognized the last digits so I looked up my notes.  Other people are also reporting this. 

I went one further and did a clean install on a VM that didn't have an OS before.  Same key as my legit upgrade, but unlike the legit upgrade I can't get the clean install to activate.

It would appear that Microsoft registers the hardware ID in their database rather than relying on keys. That really sucks, I did the upgrade on a VM that was running on my main PC but plan to use the VM only on my laptop really.  Let's hope I can just copy the VM over, otherwise it's going to be a long night ...

EDIT : long night it is.  Had to create a new VM on the laptop, install 8.1 on that, activate it, then upgrade to 10.  

Yes I have my new PC now and today I tried using my Windows 7 key ( retail ) on a clean Windows 10 install and you are right it did not work.  I have just installed Windows 7 on the new machine and it activated fine.

The fact that you upgraded a copy of windows 8 to 10 on one machine then installed the same copy on a new machine and upgraded again gives me hope.  If that is what you did, I think I may chance my arm in the morning and use my USB windows 10 installer to upgrade the new machine from Windows 7 to 10.

My brother has an existing Windows 7 retail key.  If he upgrades to Windows 10, will his retail key become a Windows 10 retail key?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

but every upgrade of your motherboard you will have to buy it

How often do you plan on installing a new motherboard? Lol.

And there is a surplus of Windows 8.1 Pro keys (non-OEM) on g2a. I bought a few and used them on a few of my family members computers who had previously borrowed my copy of Windows 7.

My brother has an existing Windows 7 retail key.  If he upgrades to Windows 10, will his retail key become a Windows 10 retail key?

That is correct. Once a key is upgraded, it cannot be upgraded.

That is correct. Once a key is upgraded, it cannot be upgraded.

Is that key forever reversible?  If my brother, for example, tries out the OS for a few months and decides to revert for a while and then upgrade again in the future when issues with drivers (or whatever the case may be) is resolved, is that an option?  I ask because there is a Windows 7 repository on Microsoft's website for people with a valid key.  In theory, this should be possible.  From my understanding, once the key is activated under Windows 10, the operating system becomes free for the lifetime of the device, so clean installs back/forth after a year should be possible.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Is that key forever reversible?  If my brother, for example, tries out the OS for a few months and decides to revert for a while and then upgrade again in the future when issues with drivers (or whatever the case may be) is resolved, is that an option?  I ask because there is a Windows 7 repository on Microsoft's website for people with a valid key.  In theory, this should be possible.  From my understanding, once the key is activated under Windows 10, the operating system becomes free for the lifetime of the device, so clean installs back/forth after a year should be possible.

I meant to say once upgraded, can't be reversed.

Are  you sure? I saw reference to downgrade rights back to earlier OS for those who upgraded to 10.

You are the only person saying these things about keys being upgraded and usable with Windows 10, so I'd like to know the source and proof of this information.

Are  you sure? I saw reference to downgrade rights back to earlier OS for those who upgraded to 10.

Now I'm a little confused because I thought you could go back to any previous version if it didn't work out also. 

OEM keys are tied to mobos/CPUs.

Pretty sure it's the same thing with Windows 10.

Regardless of what hardware they're tied to, you can still reactivate it. I've had an OEM windows 8 key. All you have to do is call microsoft, have them deactivate the specific key and they'll read you off a number to reactivate the key on a new machine (or new hardware). I've transferred my windows 8 key over 3 motherboards by doing this. Even though it was an OEM.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Am I missing some sort of context here? You can reverse to windows 8.1

ex5JMQX.png

ex5JMQX.png?1

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.