What is response time?

Pooherino ツ

More context please.

Are you talking about displays?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

GTG response time means the time (usually in miliseconds) it takes a monitor to change a pixel's color from grey to black and to white and to grey (hence the grey to grey) again

the lower the number the better it will look in games

response time in anything is the length of time it takes it to receive an input and then react to it.. apply to situation as needed.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

GTG response time means the time (usually in miliseconds) it takes a monitor to change a pixel's color from grey to black and to white and to grey (hence the grey to grey) again

not always better, it'll change to the correct colour faster that i'll grant you.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

from grey to white to grey. no black is involved.

generally anything lower than 10ms is hard to notice. Most gaming monitors have about 10ms if you don't enable overdrive which predicts movements on screen to start transitions early, of course they call that function 1ms.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

from grey to white to grey. no black is involved.

generally anything lower than 10ms is hard to notice. Most gaming monitors have about 10ms if you don't enable overdrive which predicts movements on screen to start transitions early, of course they call that function 1ms.

Does response time affect fps? Does higher response time mean the monitor will be more blurry when you playing video games?

The response time is just the rise time and fall time of a pixel, so tF+tR, if you're wondering because you're looking to buy a monitor chances are they will quote you the G2G response time, meaning Grey to Grey, the time it takes for a pixel to go from Grey, to White, to Grey again. 

In general the lower the response time, the better, although for response times lower than about 12ms, it really doesn't matter too much, and the quoted response time also isn't normally uniform across the panel. And the quoted response time will of course not be the same for all tF/tR's because different colours and shades will be at different speeds, and lighter greys will also transition faster than darker ones. So don't worry about response times too much. 

The things response time will effect are ghosting, and blurring, so the better thing to do is look on reviews of the display you are looking at, and see if they mention anything about bad ghosting, because a bad panel with a quoted G2G of 1ms, can be worse than a good panel with a quoted 5ms. 

95% of the time, with modern displays you don't need to worry about the quoted response time at all, with modern technologies like RTC/Overdrive most panels will perform more than okay.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Does response time affect fps?

You could have a 1 second response time monitor (those don't exist), and still get 60 frames per second. But the issue is each frame will appear 1 second after the computer. actually computes it.

With like a 4ms response time monitor, that means each frame will appear 4ms after the computer computes it.

Does response time affect fps? Does higher response time mean the monitor will be more blurry when you playing video games?

95% of the time, with modern displays you don't need to worry about the quoted response time at all, with modern technologies like RTC/Overdrive most panels will perform more than okay.

what this guy said.

You could have a 1 second response time monitor (those don't exist), and still get 60 frames per second. But the issue is each frame will appear 1 second after the computer. actually computes it.

With like a 4ms response time monitor, that means each frame will appear 4ms after the computer computes it.

well actually no. it will appear after how long the input lag takes, can be up to 20ms with bad monitors. and then the image will apear almost instantly (within 1ms) but full transition of colours will take slighlty longer, which is why slow displays with response times higher than 15-20ms will have visible ghosting, where image was supposed to be, but coulndn't fully transition in time.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What is response time? And how does it apply to real life?

response time in anything is the length of time it takes it to receive an input and then react to it.. apply to situation as needed.

Seriously, just read the FAQ at the top of his section. The very first entry is explaining response time (and distinguishing it from latency).

The response time is just the rise time and fall time of a pixel, so tF+tR, if you're wondering because you're looking to buy a monitor chances are they will quote you the G2G response time, meaning Grey to Grey, the time it takes for a pixel to go from Grey, to White, to Grey again.

In general the lower the response time, the better, although for response times lower than about 12ms, it really doesn't matter too much, and the quoted response time also isn't normally uniform across the panel. And the quoted response time will of course not be the same for all tF/tR's because different colours and shades will be at different speeds, and lighter greys will also transition faster than darker ones. So don't worry about response times too much.

The things response time will effect are ghosting, and blurring, so the better thing to do is look on reviews of the display you are looking at, and see if they mention anything about bad ghosting, because a bad panel with a quoted G2G of 1ms, can be worse than a good panel with a quoted 5ms.

95% of the time, with modern displays you don't need to worry about the quoted response time at all, with modern technologies like RTC/Overdrive most panels will perform more than okay.

So what is ghosting? And what is latency? Im sry btw for asking too many questions. Im not very familiar with monitors. I usually go with the one my brother recommend. I had a vg248qe before. My brother recommended it. But 144hz is kinda an unnecessary investment right now. So im looking for maybe 1440p or 4k for work and maybe some light gaming.

So what is ghosting? And what is latency? Im sry btw for asking too many questions. Im not very familiar with monitors. I usually go with the one my brother recommend. I had a vg248qe before. My brother recommended it. But 144hz is kinda an unnecessary investment right now. So im looking for maybe 1440p or 4k for work and maybe some light gaming.

Ghosting is when a fast moving object leaves a visible trail behind it. This is the result of a slow response time. Latency is the time delay between pressing a button and seeing it register on the screen and is completely unrelated to response time.