Build Log: 1969 Corvette Stingray (C3)

Derranged

The other guy beat me to it, the fuel gauge isn't working and the usual culprit is the sender unit which sits in the bottom of the tank. It can be accessed from underneath the car. It's just worrying when you can't see how much fuel you have in a car that drinks fuel like water at a rave :P

I can relate to that. I had a 1973 Pontiac Catalina in high school that I bought for $400 that was supposed to be my first car (until my dad took pity on me and bought me a used 1995 3000gt) and it had a 400 cubic inch V8, a 20 gallon fuel tank, and a broken fuel gauge.

1920px-Pontiac_Catalina_2_--_10-30-2009.

Edit: Not my actual car, it doesn't exist anymore. The body got scrapped out (for $400) and the engine got sold off for $600. I asked the kid who bought it to send me a video of it running, he never did. Disappointing because I dumped $1000 into rebuilding that engine, including a .060 overbore. Which would have sounded amazing considering how great it sounded stock, running on 7 cylinders

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I can relate to that. I had a 1973 Pontiac Catalina in high school that I bought for $400 that was supposed to be my first car (until my dad took pity on me and bought me a used 1995 3000gt) and it had a 400 cubic inch V8, a 20 gallon fuel tank, and a broken fuel gauge.

1920px-Pontiac_Catalina_2_--_10-30-2009.

Sounds like the fuel/gas station would've been a pretty common task. It's one of the reasons that I want to go with an EFI kit from FAST, so much better fuel economy with the old school look. Fuel here costs about $1.60 a litre, so it's not always fun. I just hope that the Mines over here start their project to turn waste coal into fuel, should make it better for us car nuts.

Alright some news, the new rag-joint should be arriving today and I will be buying the new carburetor and distributor. Going to be driving it to Mackay in the following weeks so it needs to be ready for some punishment on our crappy roads. I will update with some pictures soon.

bring hearing protection if you ever go on a roadtrip in that thing! (the fibelglass body sqeaks like crazy!)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

bring hearing protection if you ever go on a roadtrip in that thing! (the fibelglass body sqeaks like crazy!)

Actually I've had no issues with it. The body mounts might have been stuffed in the one you're referencing. Or maybe it's just because the exhaust is so loud that I can't hear it :P

Actually I've had no issues with it. The body mounts might have been stuffed in the one you're referencing. Or maybe it's just because the exhaust is so loud that I can't hear it :P

my father almost bougth a c3, but then he had to deliver a c3 to his friend halfway across the country.... (he didnt even go back to look at that first corvette)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

my father almost bougth a c3, but then he had to deliver a c3 to his friend halfway across the country.... (he didnt even go back to look at that first corvette)

They are a very rough car as stock, it's from the 60/70s eras so of course it has its issues. They don't start to shine until you start tricking the suspension out with modern techology, which we plan on doing. It's just time and money that's the current restriction.

Anyway, an update will be coming next week as I've bought a new Quickfuel 750cfm carb and a Fuelmiser distributor. We'll head out of town to tune it so I'll get some audio of it before and after.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...