AMD's Big HPC Swing: Exascale Heterogeneous Processor [Updated]

patrickjp93

The question here is, do we need 32 threads?...

I'm just curious how well the iGPU is going to perform.

And how much it's going to heat up (jk)

Edit: Hold up, x86 not x64? WUT?

Ahhhhh it's for servers and HPC ? so yeah.

x86 isn't that 32 bit if that's what you mean, just like go google x86 vs ARM and you may get an idea.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's x64, This is most likely a high end server chip, where those 32 cores are needed, or even in Data Centers where Virtualization is pretty standard now (without the iGPU), depending on the situation of computing it'll perform great.

Well depends on the situation, this isn't a consumer line up, there will be chips without integrated graphics. I don't think any consumer lineup needs 1-2tb of ram. 

well that makes sense, but then this is nothing hype worthy amd already has like 200 core cpu's.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

IPC and single core performance is going to make all the difference.

Most apps should take advantage of 4 to 8 cores but 16 core 32 thread im not so sure about that.

Server chip man not a consumer one.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Is AMD just throwing more cores at the problem with their consumer chips or are they trying to get into the enthusiast market?

Are they still crappy combined CPU cores?

16 Zen-based x86 cores, PLUS a large iGPU. It's not that nonsense of counting the iGPU as cores.

Is AMD just throwing more cores at the problem with their consumer chips or are they trying to get into the enthusiast market?

That would be a waste in the consumer market, this is their enthusiast/server product.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

They are throwing more cores at the enterprise market where extra cores are needed. This is NOT a consumer-oriented product at all. In fact they've recently talked about using this in supercomputers.

The Zen architecture is supposed to have much higher IPC than AMDs current lineup. So they're not just throwing in more cores to make up for weak cores.

up to 16GB of HBM?

Well it's not like you can stick GDDR5 on the chip now can you? System RAM is going to other processes. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

whats the bet each core will be really crappy and it will end up performing like a I5 or somthing 

AMD just tries to catch up by throwing more cores in. we dont need them yet why dont they learn from the 9590, 8350 etc

Ime still going to buy intel either way 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Well it's not like you can stick GDDR5 on the chip now can you? System RAM is going to other processes. 

It must have some balling integrated graphics to need that much. 

They don't need it, put with the HDM, who knows.

Need to wait for it to release and see the benchmarks for that chip.

True, but now that we have got Windows 10, that OS favours more cores etc.

So now we wait and see if that is for consumers or enterprises/servers.

Dont fool yourself with win10 thing.

There is nothing new in win10 to take advantage of more cores.

DirectX12 is something exclusively to games, im talking about your day to day programs as well, for instance watching 4K video on chrome my quad core cpu goes to 100%,if i had a 16/32 thread CPU would that load be spread somewhat evenly along the cores to speed up properly? or use just 4-8 cores/threads.

As someone said this is probably a server cpu, but even the desktop Zen variant with 8 core/16 thread will face the same issues as FX8xxx series, it has cores but will the load be spread properly which it wasnt in most cases, same with i7 threaded cpu's.

For games yeah when they will make DX12 games they will see a good boost in performance, but i doubt there will be any game that needs that many cores since they have to keep compatibilty with lower end machines to sell more copy's.

whats the bet each core will be really crappy and it will end up performing like a I5 or somthing 

AMD just tries to catch up by throwing more cores in. we dont need them yet why dont they learn from the 9590, 8350 etc

Ime still going to buy intel either way 

You really don't get it, then. This is an enterprise product. It's for a market where more cores are definitely necessary. Intel makes their current Xeons with up to 18 cores. And they're planning to step up to 28 cores with Skylake.

64 pci-e 3.0 lanes! the first time AMD has done gen 3? 

You really don't get it, then. This is an enterprise product. It's for a market where more cores are definitely necessary. Intel makes their current Xeons with up to 18 cores. And they're planning to step up to 28 cores with Skylake.

yea thats fair enough but i bet they wont market it quietly and for enterprise

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

64 pci-e 3.0 lanes! the first time AMD has done gen 3? 

Yeah, its a good thing they have switched. 

Their Kaveri APUs already support PCIe 3.0.

Apparenltly they are 4 core modules. Each module has 8 threads. 

Yeah but each core isn't going to be starved of L2 cache, or have to share a floating point unit... 

amd_quad_core_zen.jpg

Now if that L3 Cache isn't that good then thats a different story but atleast these chips won't be scratching for L2 cache.

Computing enthusiast. 

>32 cores

I guess AMD never learns.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Not to be rude, but it would really help your argument more if you used a source that doesn't totally, 100%, without a doubt, contradict your entire point. See @Sakkura's post below, where he uses a big friendly image from said source to illustrate the point.

Okay, let me help you understand that article:

U5GrXcz.jpg

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)