What if next gen consoles were Intel based instead???

As the title says, would we get any more performance out the consoles???

Or is it not that big of a deal??

Also, did Sony and Microsoft give AMD a massive wade of cash

Been thinking about this for quite some time myself

Looking for a job

i doubt it would change anything because sony and microsoft probably asked for custom chips to be made.

they probably did offer amd alot of money but it was most likely a much better deal to go to amd for the chip otherwise they wouldn't have both done it.

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Intel's graphics aren't quite up to what AMD can do, even with Haswell. They're much closer, but not close enough.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In my opinion, you would actually see a performance loss...

Let me explain, Intel almost always makes a superior product however, you pay extra for this premium.

Microsoft and Sony both want to keep the consoles relatively cheap while still having high profit margins.

If the consoles were to have an Intel based CPU either the price would go up or the performance would have to drop.

I think going with AMD is the correct move for budget friendly consoles.

If they wanted the truly superior system they would probably need to do in house R&D which would be very expensive(short term).

Intel HD 9001, that's what.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

In my opinion, you would actually see a performance loss...

Let me explain, Intel almost always makes a superior product however, you pay extra for this premium.

Microsoft and Sony both want to keep the consoles relatively cheap while still having high profit margins.

If the consoles were to have an Intel based CPU either the price would go up or the performance would have to drop.

I think going with AMD is the correct move for budget friendly consoles.

If they wanted the truly superior system they would probably need to do in house R&D which would be very expensive(short term).

you make some good points laxer

Intel is the more expensive root when building pc's, this would be the same i guess

Looking for a job

When you compare die size to performance, Intel isn't too great of an option, and they've had some troubling history with graphics, plus AMD already makes APUs, so it would be much easier for both parties to get a somewhat modified APU than to get some super custom part from Intel or Nvidia.

now the new question is: What if they would of went with Intel AND Nvidia :) lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Don't get me wrong, I love Intel but, they have no place in the console market.

I was somewhat surprised though to see that IBM had no part...

Sidenote, Intel has made some very interesting advances in low power computing... Wouldn't be surprised to see them inside a mobile gaming platform... (phone or some handheld)

Xbox One would still force us to get Kinect 2.0 and would be capable of being a spy console.  They also can't be trusted and it would not surprise me if in a year's time or so they brought back all they wanted for the console originally.  Intel based or AMD based the Xbox One can ******* !

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Xbox One would still force us to get Kinect 2.0 and would be capable of being a spy console.  They also can't be trusted and it would not surprise me if in a year's time or so they brought back all they wanted for the console originally.  Intel based or AMD based the Xbox One can ******* !

I remember back when the 360 was announced there was a huge backlash against Microsoft trying to tie the discs to the console/live account, so that it wouldn't work with any other system/live account. 

they would be more power efficient. you might save a couple of bucks up front, but eventually you'll have to pay the utility companies.

My Smud bill was $423 dollars last month, just throwing that out there...

I use a ton of computers

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Not only are more efficient power supplies going to (barely) save on electricity, they'll also kick out less heat.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The Xbox was Intel based.  Wasn't super-revolutionary.

But yeah, AMD was probably the only logical choice for the new consoles.  No one else can offer a fully-integrated solution with the power of x86 and desktop-class graphics.

AMD probably will be rolling in money soon enough.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Same, the CPU/GPU is probably built to Sony's/MS' specifications, not AMDs. If they went with intel they probably would not change the specifications. The price would just rise a bit.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The Xbox was Intel based.  Wasn't super-revolutionary.

But yeah, AMD was probably the only logical choice for the new consoles.  No one else can offer a fully-integrated solution with the power of x86 and desktop-class graphics.

AMD probably will be rolling in money soon enough.

AMD needs to make money. They are really far behind and have been losing money for over a year now. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

It's simple. AMD integrated graphics destroy intel's and intel cost more. That's it : /

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

They would say "Intel core processor".

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

It's hard to predict who will be better at what in 6+ years in the hardware landscape. We'll just have to wait and see.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

I don't think cost would be much more.  The console would benefit from a lower power chip and also kick out a lot less heat which seems to be the issue with consoles.  The 360 was HORRIBLE and cooked itself to death, earlier models even melted discs and objects around.  Ps3 was better but it still got toasty.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

The CPU clockspeeds on these two upcoming consoles seem to be very conservative; if they really needed more performance I think they would have asked for higher clockspeeds; the slightly more demanding power and cooling requirements that come with it could have been managed no doubt.

On a different note I hope that AMD has negotiated to have some sort of 'powered by AMD' logo somewhere very discretely on the new consoles. It doesn't have to be in your face but it should be there so that it will be ingrained into the minds of people who have the system on the longterm and enjoy gaming on them. Because it would help AMD with brand awareness amongst the general public. PC gamers are very familiar with the AMD name but outside of that amongst general computer users they really don't have enough share of mind compared to Intel.