Macbook WiFi problems, help! (can't connect to wifi, but can connect to iphone hotspot?)

Anthony10

I'm not an avid apple fan, but some how I ended up with a couple of their products.

Just a week ago my brothers macbook that a jerk spilled soda on and fled the scene was a paper weight. He took it to the """"Genius"""" at the apple store, who said it can not be repaired.

After a lot of isopropyl alchohol, paper towels, replacement keyboard and backlight and battery, and probably 5 hours of cleaning, replacing, and testing, I've finally got it up and running perfectly... almost.

I would like to note that the WiFi in my apartment is a bit finicky, so it may just be a problem with my network.

The WiFi connection will not work. It will connect, and appear to work with the network diagnostic, but when actually loading a webpage with safari, it does not work. Everything is connected on the internals.

However, when I set up a WiFi hotspot with my iPhone and connect it, it works!

Also, I can connect to the non password protected xfinitywifi login WiFi network (that I assume is a network in my apartment complex) that sends me to an xfinity login webpage that appears to be responsive.

SO... any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance guys

I think replacing the wifi card.

With the Hot spot, are you plugging it into the computer Via USB or are you turning on a wireless network?

With the Hot spot, are you plugging it into the computer Via USB or are you turning on a wireless network?

wireless network, which is why I'm befuddled

wireless network, which is why I'm befuddled

Take the laptop closer to the wifi access point.

Take the laptop closer to the wifi access point.

sorry for the late response

I've taken it within 10 feet of the router, and it still does not work

sorry for the late response

I've taken it within 10 feet of the router, and it still does not work

Have you tried talking to an Apple support person? They have that on their products

In addition, are you able to connect to the WiFi using a Windows device or other device? 

Have you tried talking to an Apple support person? They have that on their products

In addition, are you able to connect to the WiFi using a Windows device or other device? 

the wifi works on other devices, haven't tested other mac devices. my iOS device works on it.

not sure what an apple support could help with in this situation, all the help on the apple support is literally "hey just reset SMC" -.-

edit: out of warranty too btw, this is a late 2011 model

the wifi works on other devices, haven't tested other mac devices. my iOS device works on it.

not sure what an apple support could help with in this situation, all the help on the apple support is literally "hey just reset SMC" -.-

edit: out of warranty too btw, this is a late 2011 model

I've had a few bad issues with apple support but if you put some work into it and hopefully find a good person you should be able to have them give a better look at it and take things from there - could just be as simple as uninstalling then reinstalling a driver if macs have that function and then restarting the computer 

okay so that narrows it down a bit, it's not the network/wifi if other devices are able to function with it properly, it is the macbook

-snip

even if it is out of warranty they can help you, I doubt my mac mini I bought for software testing has a warranty and they still helped me out quite a bit 

even if it is out of warranty they can help you, I doubt my mac mini I bought for software testing has a warranty and they still helped me out quite a bit

Alright, I was hoping to get some help here but I might take your advice and get help from those....

*cringe* geniuses

At the apple store

I'll see if updating the OS (with ethernet) helps at all

Alright, I was hoping to get some help here but I might take your advice and get help from those....

*cringe* geniuses

At the apple store

I'll see if updating the OS (with ethernet) helps at all

no no no not at the store I mean through the apple support live chat, that's what I did