Will Windows 10 Be Better Than 8 Performance Wise?

WolfysTech

I've reserved my copy of windows 10, yet I'm not sure, If it'll run all my games I want to (This will only be for a short time until my case and CPU Come from amazon) I play like CS:GO, TF2, And a few others, Will I be okay with Windows 10 Supporting them?

And also, as apparently windows 8 slowed down alot of computers, Will Windows 10 Be less power handy (Meaning it wont have loads to run in the background and should run smoother)

Thanks

I think so.

Modern games would have no trouble running on Windows 10. 

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Yes new games will be a whole lot better because DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12.

Your old games will be supported flawlessly because DX is the whole reason why all PC games are so backwards and forwards compatible.

i doubt the W8 slowing down computers is any truth, unless they were like HORRIBLE wxp machines from back in the day.

W7->W8 was a MASSIVE improvement, i doubt they're going to ruin that line.

1. We don't really know yet, but MS has been pushing last minute updates to current Win10 machines all day. Most likely, I'd say you should be fine gaming. When games start fully supporting it, DX12 will be a big deal too.

2. Win10 is designed to be run on just about anything. If MS's PR is to be belived, you should be able to run Win10 on anything better than a toaster. 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Yes new games will be a whole lot better because DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12 DX12.

which offcourse, we all know source engine uses DX12... *cough*

that said, would be great if they patched DX12 support in their old games. not that they need it, but someone out there is going to want 1200FPS in CS:GO...

The technical preview was certain a hell of a lot better than Windows 8.1 for me, on my tablet, so that's saying a lot.

As for games, any recent games should work just fine and older ones will more than likely work if you enable compatibility mode.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

i doubt the W8 slowing down computers is any truth, unless they were like HORRIBLE wxp machines from back in the day.

W7->W8 was a MASSIVE improvement, i doubt they're going to ruin that line.

Your right there sir.

Could you repeat that? :P Thanks, DX12 You say? xD

Modern games would have no trouble running on Windows 10. 

Okay that's fine then, was just curious to know.

I think so.

Okay, was just thinking to upgrade it for my laptop tomorrow (Intel i3 3110m/6GB's of ram)

Microsoft is saying that there will be a performance increase, so I'd say yes.

Microsoft is saying that there will be a performance increase, so I'd say yes.

Sweeeeeeeet!

The technical preview was certain a hell of a lot better than Windows 8.1 for me, on my tablet, so that's saying a lot.

As for games, any recent games should work just fine and older ones will more than likely work if you enable compatibility mode.

If it ran well on a tablet, than sure be damned it'll be fine lol, I'll be using a Pentium G3258 OC'd with 8gbs of 2400mhz ram, so i'll be okay for power anyway (I5 AT THE END OF THE MONTH ON PAYDAY)

1. We don't really know yet, but MS has been pushing last minute updates to current Win10 machines all day. Most likely, I'd say you should be fine gaming. When games start fully supporting it, DX12 will be a big deal too.

2. Win10 is designed to be run on just about anything. If MS's PR is to be belived, you should be able to run Win10 on anything better than a toaster. 

Alright that's cool.

It's likely that the OS itself will not be better than 8.1 in terms of performance—but 8.1's performance was fine to start with, as far as I know.

There might be some relative performance gains from DirectX 12 once games built for DX12 start appearing, but it's possible we won't have DX11/Windows 8.1 versions of those games to compare to.

If they fix the Nvidia driver issues it might, had to go back to 8.1 because of the issues!  :angry:

which offcourse, we all know source engine uses DX12... *cough*

that said, would be great if they patched DX12 support in their old games. not that they need it, but someone out there is going to want 1200FPS in CS:GO...

Some old games seriously need better multi core/thread support *cough* ARMA *cough*

Coming from my personal experience of running Windows 10 for a few months now, it should be better and I see the potential for it being better. The only problem is not Windows itself, but the third parties such as Nvidia and AMD not providing good drivers for the OS. Switching to Windows 10 did give me better performance, but Nvidia has been dropping the ball on the last few driver revisions and it killed FPS, and even went on to sometimes not letting me play due to some stupid DX error. They have been fixing it, but the release is tomorrow so they better haul ass. So:

Windows 10 is better than 8 for gaming.

Nvidia makes it shit, but they are improving it.

I have nothing to say about the AMD drivers though, as I haven't tested the AMD drivers let alone I've never had an AMD card.

Coming from my personal experience of running Windows 10 for a few months now, it should be better and I see the potential for it being better. The only problem is not Windows itself, but the third parties such as Nvidia and AMD not providing good drivers for the OS. Switching to Windows 10 did give me better performance, but Nvidia has been dropping the ball on the last few driver revisions and it killed FPS, and even went on to sometimes not letting me play due to some stupid DX error. They have been fixing it, but the release is tomorrow so they better haul ass. So:

I have nothing to say about the AMD drivers though, as I haven't tested the AMD drivers let alone I've never had an AMD card.

It's not just AMD and Nvidia. The fact that microsoft is pushing Drivers update through Windows Update, with no way for the consumer to refuse those drivers, is the problem. I had a similar issue with Intel Graphic Drivers on my tablet during the Technical Preview, which resulted in blue screen, required a OS refresh and somehow finding a way to prevent the driver to re-download itself automatically again. (as it did a second time, and blue screen again...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's not just AMD and Nvidia. The fact that microsoft is pushing Drivers update through Windows Update, with no way for the consumer to refuse those drivers, is the problem. I had a similar issue with Intel Graphic Drivers on my tablet during the Technical Preview, which resulted in blue screen (something went wrong), required a OS refresh and somehow finding a way to prevent the driver to re-download itself automatically again. (as it did a second time, and blue screen again...)

Is that why it fucking installed the beta drivers when I reverted to 347.88?! I thought it might be that, as I disabled the GeForce Experience automatic update. Luckily an Nvidia representative and I have been working closely to spot out bugs and stuff, hopefully they find my help... 'helpful'... Couldn't find the right word.

If they fix the Nvidia driver issues it might, had to go back to 8.1 because of the issues!  :angry:

Is that why it fucking installed the beta drivers when I reverted to 347.88?! I thought it might be that, as I disabled the GeForce Experience automatic update. Luckily an Nvidia representative and I have been working closely to spot out bugs and stuff, hopefully they find my help... 'helpful'... Couldn't find the right word.

MS released a tool the other day allowing you to opt out of certain updates. It seems like its mostly there to let you opt out of getting NVidia updates pushed right away so that you dont have these issues.

I know that this has been frustrating as hell for me over the last few months with the updates no longer being disable-able via GPO's or registry.

When in doubt, re-format.

If they fix the Nvidia driver issues it might, had to go back to 8.1 because of the issues! :angry:

You mean nvidia has to fix drivers... Microsoft and fixing things don't really get along

Please remember that early drivers are usually not great. I know tomorrow, a bunch of sites will go out and release their "review", and show, like every single version of Windows and say: "This new version of Windows is slower in gaming performance for many games, others are the same", yet we all know it isn't true. If not, then Crysis, Battlefield 4 and so one would fly in performance in XP, or Windows 2000, which we know isn't the case.