Windows 10 has been, or will be downloaded today for those who reserved - Don't delete C:\$windows.~BT

GoodBytes

So my Windows 10 icon disappeared and it hasn't downloaded, and almost everyone installing manually are having issues.

Guess I'm not getting Windows 10, cool.

Just have patience... It's not even past the first day of availability.

The upgrade won't go through if it detects there could be driver compatibility issues and its still rolling out to all people.

Just give it a few days, make sure all other Windows updates are installed and drivers up to date, and if it still hasn't shown up after a few days then try some of the fixes. But from some of the posts here its failing because people are trying to force it through instead of waiting to be prompted.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The instal process has been pretty hard with mostly troubleshootiong..

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Just have patience... It's not even past the first day of availability.

The upgrade won't go through if it detects there could be driver compatibility issues and its still rolling out to all people.

Just give it a few days, make sure all other Windows updates are installed and drivers up to date, and if it still hasn't shown up after a few days then try some of the fixes. But from some of the posts here its failing because people are trying to force it through instead of waiting to be prompted.

I've got everything up to date on a pretty up to date PC.

Any idea why the Win10 icon would vanish without anything progressing? It said everything was fine and reserved and all that stuff, and after a restart it's gone.

Seems like a step backward.

I'll wait, but it would be nice if I knew I was going to get it is all, it's not very reassuring.

already did all that and then some .. no dice, it just vanished

looking at MS's forums, I see many other people reporting this exact same thing

Sorry to hear. If I stumble on something I'll let you know.

I've got everything up to date on a pretty up to date PC.

Any idea why the Win10 icon would vanish without anything progressing? It said everything was fine and reserved and all that stuff, and after a restart it's gone.

Seems like a step backward.

I'll wait, but it would be nice if I knew I was going to get it is all, it's not very reassuring.

I'm not 100% sure, but looks like MS' servers might be in trouble

a few people in my country report that their W10 reservation went through, upgraded and can't be activated

has anyone tried running the W10 media creation tool and the upgrade the existing install? NOT(!!!) creating a bootable drive

does it ask for a W10 key or is it upgrading the W8.1 (my case) to W10 ??

Thats what I did this morning, worked fine for me.

MU87qqX.png

Hmmm...

Yup that is fine. As mentioned, it is being blacked by Microsoft, because it evaluated that while your system is A-OK for Win10, drivers aren't, and some stuff might not work, or work properly (for example, your system can't go to sleep, or wake up right after, or face graphical glitches, etc).

If you open the "get Windows 10" app, it will tell you. Check out my first post in the thread, I have updated it.

Well this is interesting...

After a fresh install of Win10 off Microsoft's ISO wasn't activating for my laptop, I rolled it back to Windows 8.  After Win8 installed, I immediately got notice that Windows 10 is now ready for download.  It's downloading 2.7 gigs right now.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I've just had the Nvidia driver bug. Had latest WHQL installed and working perfectly. Windows Update decides to update it with an older driver killing off GeForce Experience in the process. Now I've removed the Nvidia one from Control Panel and Windows 10 won't install its version anymore so I either go with no GFE or no driver at all.

Great work MS & Nvidia. *Starts the slow clap machine

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If you open the "get Windows 10" app, it will tell you. Check out my first post in the thread, I have updated it.

Do you know what it means if the Windows 10 app vanishes? 

I've just had the Nvidia driver bug. Had latest WHQL installed and working perfectly. Windows Update decides to update it with an older driver killing off GeForce Experience in the process. Now I've removed the Nvidia one from Control Panel and Windows 10 won't install its version anymore so I either go with no GFE or no driver at all.

Great work MS & Nvidia. *Starts the slow clap machine

Try Microsoft tool to hide driver, see if that works.

Do you know what it means if the Windows 10 app vanishes?

No. Sorry.

I can't create a USB installation drive with the windows 10 software, as it refuses to see ANY of my USB sticks. What the hell.....

37wfhEN.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I can't create a USB installation drive with the windows 10 software, as it refuses to see ANY of my USB sticks. What the hell.....

37wfhEN.png

That is not a removable drive. The icons says it File Explorer.

I think you modified the configuration of your USB flash drive. You need to restore it as a removable drive.

That is not a removable drive. The icons says it File Explorer.

I think you modified the configuration of your USB flash drive. You need to restore it as a removable drive.

I haven't done anything but rename it. I just bought the bloody thing. It's a 16GB USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme stick

Looking around people are saying things like this online

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/usb-detected-as-a-hdd-and-not-as-a-removable/2b765c19-6460-4fe6-a200-9a1238c77310

NOTE: SanDisk is beginning production of flash drives configured as fixed disk in 2012 to meet new requirements for Windows 8 Certification.

Historically, flash drives have been configured as removable disks and Windows Explorer displays them as 'Removable Media'. Windows 8 Certification requires flash drive manufacturers to configure flash drives as fixed disks. Flash drives configured as fixed disk will show up in Windows Explorer as 'Hard Disk Drives'. Flash drives configured as fixed disks still function the same as those configured as removable disks.

You can still connect and disconnect the flash drives from the USB port without having to power off the computer. You can also still use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' feature when disconnecting.

B.S!

My SanDisk drive has not this problem.

I have the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0

B.S!

My SanDisk drive has not this problem.

I have the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0

That's the exact bloody usb stick I have, and it refuses to be seen by the windows 10 installation software. I can use it everywhere, on different pcs, but Win 10 refuses to see it.

Here's what Sandisk themselves say on the issue

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please be informed that the flash drives are the plug and play storage devices. In mid-2013 SanDisk changed production of Cruzer USB Drives to show up as fixed disk to meet a requirement for Windows 8 certification. At the end of 2013, SanDisk reverted back to producing Cruzer USB Drives as removable disk. There is no tool available to change SanDisk Cruzer USB Drives between fixed and removable disk configuration. SanDisk Cruzer USB Drives in removable disk configuration will be available again shortly in retail outlets.

Also, Please be informed that Flash drives configured as fixed disks still function the same as those configured as removable disk but unfortunately it may not be recognized by the multiple software's on the computer that can only recognize the external drive as a removable disk.

Please reply to this email for any further queries and i will be glad to assist you further.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://forums.sandisk.com to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,

John S.

SanDisk Technical Support

I'd advise everyone stay on 8.1 / 7 for a while, Windows 10 still looks and feels slightly beta-ish. Here's my mixed experiences so far:

• Edge served me well when getting driver updates (Yay to Asus for already putting up Windows 10 Drivers) Might use that browser more in the future when they've added some more functionality.
  • Firefox keeps crashing on SoundCloud; Haven't tried YouTube yet. Might be a flash-related issue. (Working in Edge, using that now)
  • Adobe CC 2014 will require a re-install as it seems to have forgotten that I have a video card.
  • Microsoft Word etc. working as usual.
  • If you use third-party eq programs, such as Equaliser APO, those won't work yet, probably will after an update though. the P.E.A.C.E. GUI for APO is absolutely rekt.
  • System definitely boots faster. Power button to seeing a mouse cursor + spinning circle in less than roughly 8 seconds (fast boot on).
  • Microsoft default audio driver seems to crap out after unplugging Headphones
  • Had to remove my RAMDisk software as it was not working properly
  • UXPatcher looks like something I don't want to be messing with yet
  • You may want to leave your computer on as Windows Update is pulling in large shipments
  • Hero wallpaper has visible graininess - probably due to my low resolution (1366x768)
  • If you use the /p65552 switch on screensavers, it still sets them as a wallpaper
  • Quick Access is now the default landing for Windows Explorer
  • If you have organized tile groups in Start Menu on Win8, have fun re-organizing them all - the structure is not carried over into Windows 10
  • Cortana looks amazing & search is very fast even with indexing disabled
  • New control panel looking good; takes a few minutes to get used to it. Some settings are still easier to access via the old control panel e.g. network settings.
  • Visual Studio 2013 loads - but is 'missing a package'
  • Interface overall does look a bit washed out but you get used to it
  • Touch keyboard icon is now a part of the notifications tray

Edit:

• Windows seems to like re-installing drivers by itself, despite manually selecting them in Device Manager
  • Licensing/activation server appears to be down - just check your 'devices' under your Microsoft profile and if your Windows 10 machine is there I think that means it is licensed

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Apparently I don't have update KB2976978 and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to get it, it's not in my available updates and is required for Windows 10.

That's the exact bloody usb stick I have, and it refuses to be seen by the windows 10 installation software. I can use it everywhere, on different pcs, but Win 10 refuses to see it.

Here's what Sandisk themselves say on the issue

I got mine end of last year.

I have between using under Windows 7, 8 and 10 (beta and final), no problem.

It's not that I don't believe you, I really do, but I don't believe SanDisk reason. They fucked up their firmware probably, and giving the wrong excuse.

I got mine end of last year.

I have between using under Windows 7, 8 and 10 (beta and final), no problem.

It's not that I don't believe you, I really do, but I don't believe SanDisk reason. They fucked up their firmware probably, and giving the wrong excuse.

Thing is I can simply google sandisk windows fixed media and get loooads of threads all over. They must have mucked up and hoped people wouldn't notice.

Might have to use an old DVD, and break out the portable dvd drive.

-snip-

All your issues listed are driver related.

Except VS2013. I would uninstall it, and re-install it. (don'r install over. The setup tend to not a good job when you do this).

Be sure to remove each extra component it normally installs when you uninstall VS2013, because it doesn't

If the thumb drive ain't being detected, just chose to create an iso and "Burn it" to the thumbdrive afterward... That's what I did. Well I actually burn it to a real DVD. Hello 2005 ! 

But if you got the extracted files on the root and boot from it, you should be good. 

Thing is I can simply google sandisk windows fixed media and get loooads of threads all over. They must have mucked up and hoped people wouldn't notice.

Might have to use an old DVD, and break out the portable dvd drive.

The only issue I have with mine, is that I can't make it bootable for UEFI system... but mind you I haven't dig into it. Probably need to redo the partitions and such.

YOU CAN NOT JUST STRAIGHT UPGRADE IF ANY PARTS OF YOUR SYSTEM ARE SHARED BETWEEN TWO INDEPENDENT DRIVES. I had my user profile on a hard drive and would not allow me to upgrade. When I chose it to not move my stuff the whole user file system got all sorts of fucked up which required me to reinstall 7 and then upgrade to 10. Other wise 10 is running as it should.

That's not new. I had the same setup as you and it prevent me from going from 8.0 to 8.1, I had to fix things before I could go through. Annoying...