Planning on getting a new chair

Hello,

So my birthday is nearing the corner and since I really don't need anything else to add to my PC, I thought I'd buy a new chair with some birthday money.

All I want is a cushioned chair with arms, which are also cushioned. However, when I type in the kind of chair I'm looking for on amazon, it comes with a plethora of options.

A decent amount of chairs were "gaming" chairs, which ranged anywhere from $100-$250 USD, then there was the cushioned office chair, costing ~$50

So what's the difference between these office chairs and the "gaming" chairs? They look roughly the same when it comes to appearance and comfort(except of course the DX Racer and a couple of other exceptions).

Are "gaming" chairs more comfortable? Are they more robust?

Feel free to post down below what some differences are, and if you have a suggestion for me on a new chair, feel free to post that down below too! :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

I don't think they are, they just slap a tag on it and call it more expensive.

My recommendation is to just go into your local store and try out some chairs, and see what you like.

(Once I saw a "Gaming table." It was $300 USD, and it looked liked a foldaway table with addons such as cup holder, controller holders, and wire routing holes lol.)

Gaming chairs weren't really designed to be comfy at a normal sitting position

It feels more like a driver-oriented seat, which is quite apparent in it's design

I would only recommend it if you're used to sitting in a manner wherein you have limited movements with a bit more control

Chairs are a hard one, I would recommend trying before you buy and buy from a reputable retailer/brand. You can get two chairs that look pretty much the same but one being a quarter of the price and in most cases the cheap one will have bad ergonomics, padding that turns to paper within 6 months and pistons that start to leak, you might get a fantastic deal but I'd say more often than not buying a cheap one will see you throwing it away 6-12 months down the track and having to buy another, on the other hand "gaming" stuff in general has a premium just coz ;)

I have a $50 Office Depot / Max / whatever chair that I still use in my workshop and it's still comfortable to sit in.  More expensive chairs generally buy you better ergonomics, more adjustments, and better warranty support.  My Steelcase chair had an issue and they sent me a whole new chair...because it's like the Rolex of office furniture.

I would try some out in a store.  Ikea, Office Depot, Staples, etc.  I personally like having adjustable height arms.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Don't buy cheap chairs, unless you plan on replacing them often.  The best thing to do is go somewhere and find some that you like and look up reviews online.  If you see lots of positive reviews even after people use them for 2+ years, then it may be a solid chair.  

Always make sure that if its leather, the leather is real.  Always make sure under carraige is made mostly or fully out of metal.  One of the biggest problems chairs have is the pistons leaking over time resulting in the chair no longer functioning properly.

A good seat is a big deal and its really nice when you find the right one.