Google Fiber not allowing you to host a server

orangecat

I'm not sure if someone posted this or if its new news but my dad showed me a article a few days ago and ti was saying how google was not allowing their users to run any type of server on the google fiber network including game servers. sorry that i don't have a link to that article but you might be able to find it somewhere online.

EDIT: This might have been the article i saw http://www.geekosystem.com/google-fiber-net-neutrality/.

If this is true, this is a massive negative for lots of people!

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I'm not sure if someone posted this or if its new news but my dad showed me a article a few days ago and ti was saying how google was not allowing their users to run any type of server on the google fiber network including game servers. sorry that i don't have a link to that article but you might be able to find it somewhere online.

I think most consumer internet connections won't allow the hosting of servers.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

g4eazVk.jpg

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Exactly. If you want to do professional / business grade things, you need to pay for a professional / business grade connection :P

What about game servers they don't normally  require a ton of bandwidth so even a DSL connection could support a few players in a game like minecraft but googles service would not allow you to host even a game server.

Comcast does the same thing, got a buddy who recently moved to SF and signed up with them and he can't get his file server working outside him network. 

Correct.

However, they won't know what you're doing with your connection, unless they monitor very closely or you tell them.

If I had Google Fiber I would be hosting servers all day!

What about game servers they don't normally  require a ton of bandwidth so even a DSL connection could support a few players in a game like minecraft but googles service would not allow you to host even a game server.

My ISP won't allow any server with home contracts and I'd guess that this is standard with many ISPs around the world.

Not allowing doesn't mean that it isn't possible though ;)

As long as you don't plan on hosting many servers or one with heavy load you should be fine.

Correct.

However, they won't know what you're doing with your connection, unless they monitor very closely or you tell them.

If I had Google Fiber I would be hosting servers all day!

No need to monitor you very closely. This should be easy to detect.

Comcast does the same thing, got a buddy who recently moved to SF and signed up with them and he can't get his file server working outside him network. 

I'd guess your buddy just does something wrong ;)

How so? There's multiple things that could simulate bandwidth usage like that of a server.

I'd guess your buddy just does something wrong ;)

He's a sys admin so I wouldn't count on that. there are work arounds mind you, none of them pretty, but at least in Alameda server hosting on a residential plan is blocked by default. 

How so? There's multiple things that could simulate bandwidth usage like that of a server.

for something like a game server, high levels of traffic to certain ports is the key. I think Miinecraft runs off port 25526 or something like that, so if there was a lot of traffic in and out of that port it's probably a server not regular usage. 

More requests from the outside on certain ports?

I would like to point out that the article OP linked to specifically says you're allowed to host game servers though

I am interested in how they can block servers and the effect it would have on business.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

How would they be easy to connect. I have my nas connected to the internet and my mates use it sometimes for file sharing. I don't really see how they can stop it. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

EDIT: This might have been the article i saw http://www.geekosystem.com/google-fiber-net-neutrality/.

if it is non-commercial you are in the clear. this is geared towards LLC's trying to offload their business onto a home connection. that would be bad since any real business needing internet connections would generate large ammounts of traffic and could potentially slow down everyone elses connection... for now.

but having a server with 56 people in it would be no big deal, as long as you aren't directly making money off of it... but a "DONATION" to help keep the service running would be more than permissible.

Streaming does the same, downloading and uploading things does the same, FTP'ing into work and back does the same.

This reminds me of this guy.

That guy is a serious boss, really wish he would do an ama or something. He is really a person i'd like to learn from.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

My ISP Optus tried to block servers but a little hacking with the modem problem solved.

Maybe they don't want people hogging their bandwidth and slowing their internet down. Would be fine with this if I had Fiber since I don't host any servers. So they basically don't allow any uploading traffic?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer