Is it worth getting an iPod touch?

JonHewett95

I need something that I can iMessage/ FaceTime my family on while I'm away at uni, I can't really afford an iPhone at the moment, is SMS the only functionality that iPod touches lose over an iPhone? I will pretty much have wifi all the time throughout the uni buildings and my home.

Also how is the battery life? I will need about 3 hours of screen on time. 

Edit: Will my family have to make  a new contact for me so it stops them sending me texts instead of iMessages.

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

The ipod is basically a cut down Iphone with no Cellular and less performance specs. 

is SMS the only functionality that iPod touches lose over an iPhone?

And that all-important phone call function, but then again these kids these days don't even know what a phone call is anymore...

When in doubt, re-format.

eventough i am a massive android fan, i don't think an android would be a choice here because androids don't have IMessage.

so yeah if you can't afford an iphone a ipod would be the next best thing.

still tough, get an android

I need something that I can iMessage/ FaceTime my family on while I'm away at uni, I can't really afford an iPhone at the moment, is SMS the only functionality that iPod touches lose over an iPhone? I will pretty much have wifi all the time throughout the uni buildings and my home.

Also how is the battery life? I will need about 3 hours of screen on time. 

Edit: Will my family have to make  a new contact for me so it stops them sending me texts instead of iMessages.

An iPod can game well, and it does iMessage and Facetime well. The only difference is whether or not it can connect to a mobile network (sprint, tmobile, insert other GSM networks) and can make calls. If you don't need to make calls, and you can live without data, then iPod is perfect for you.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

And that all-important phone call function, but then again these kids these days don't even know what a phone call is anymore...

I know what a call is, but the kindergartners raised on iPad might not know. Lol

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD