Going from GTX 760 to GTX 970

Kevguy

You remember well, my friend :) It is true, I had a 760, then upgraded to a 970 and the upgrade was significant, even more so, when I got a second 970 for SLI :) up until recently I sold them and got a 980Ti for the money :)

The 760 has treated me well for the past year.  It is the 3rd ASUS GTX video card I've owned and I've never had an issue.  I'm expecting the same fro the 970 STRIX when it arrives.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Yeah. Still haven't painted the 980ti have you?

Not yet, m8, I am wating for the top panel to be cut, and then I will do everything all at once :) I dont want to disassemble and reassemble the PC every day for one thing at a time :)

Not yet, m8, I am wating for the top panel to be cut, and then I will do everything all at once :) I dont want to disassemble and reassemble the PC every day for one thing at a time :)

Top panel cut?

Top panel cut?

Yeah, also the front panel, but that is done :) On the front there will be a rectangle right above the fans + a Demciflex filter and on top a simple rectangle for better airflow and a black mesh :)

Currently getting 59-60 FPS playing War Thunder on high settings, but renderings a a little slow at times.

How much did you get before?

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Get 390 for the money you have PSU to support it its better then 970

He has already bought the card.

But, yes the 390 is like a 980 (I think).

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

You do know ppl he can return it and its better purchase for the money :D

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

My current gaming maching has an ASUS GeForce GTX 760.  I just purchased on sale from NewEgg the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX.

I was talking to my buddies last night and they told me I won't notice any difference unless I overclock my CPU and the GPU.  Anybody know if this is true or not?  I hope not as I just purchased a Dell H2415 display to go with the card.  I am currently not overclocking anything as I don't really know how too.   

The difference will be enormous.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/25.html

perfrel_1920.gif

How much did you get before?

currently getting 59-60 fps with the 760.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I like Nvidia ok?

dude, he bought a 970, let him be, you got some AMD shares or something?

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

currently getting 59-60 fps with the 760.

Oh..

K...

Let me know what you are getting with the 970 later then  :P

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

dude, he bought a 970, let him be, you got some AMD shares or something?

No I have 970 worst idea ever not waiting on 390 nothing personal with AMD or Nvidia but if you like to buy gpu every 2 years be my guest :)

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

No I have 970 worst idea ever not waiting on 390 nothing personal with AMD or Nvidia but if you like to buy gpu every 2 years be my guest :)

He said he likes Nvidia better, don't see the point on getting condescending over his purchase, some people like features that one brand offers over the other, vram isn't the only factor. 

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Should have saved money by getting a 290 and overclocked it yourself. Or overclocked that 970 and wiped the floor with a 390. The 390 only wins in benchmarks because it comes with an aggressive overclock already.

Should have saved money by getting a 290 and overclocked it yourself. Or overclocked that 970 and wiped the floor with a 390. The 390 only wins in benchmarks because it comes with an aggressive overclock already.

I have a 390 here right now, granted it is overclocked, but it outperforms my 970 in every test. In fact it's keeping up with a 980 in almost all tests. 

I have a 390 here right now, granted it is overclocked, but it outperforms my 970 in every test. In fact it's keeping up with a 980 in almost all tests. 

So does a 970 if you overclock it, that's the point. "Keeping up with a 980" doesn't mean anything. That's why the 980 has never been a sensible purchase.

Been there, done that.

Switching Asus GTX 760 for G1 970.

Awesome.

Once you start using th 970 overclock it, it's free performance and you can get help in the forums (I can help you personally if you want)

Don't listen to the "oh 390 iz betterz". You got a nice card.

Now that i'm a little off topic, I don't know why the 390 fanboys-owners always jump and talk about it in every 970 thread.

This week there was a "Share your 970 experience", for 970 owners and some guys started to talk about the 390.

Same case here...

So does a 970 if you overclock it, that's the point. "Keeping up with a 980" doesn't mean anything. That's why the 980 has never been a sensible purchase.

I should have rephrased that. 

It is an overclocked card from the factory and it outperforms my 970 (which is also overclocked from the factory). 

what you can get out of it yourself is a moot point. 

Anyway back on topic. As you can see above, I support the 970 upgrade, and it is indeed a huge performance boost. 

Been there, done that.

Switching Asus GTX 760 for G1 970.

Awesome.

Once you start using th 970 overclock it, it's free performance and you can get help in the forums (I can help you personally if you want)

Don't listen to the "oh 390 iz betterz". You got a nice card.

Now that i'm a little off topic, I don't know why the 390 fanboys-owners always jump and talk about it in every 970 thread.

This week there was a "Share your 970 experience", for 970 owners and some guys started to talk about the 390.

Same case here...

Don't understand why people always feel the need to justify their purchase every time. So anyone who recommends a 390 is a "fanboy-owner"? Why should op let you decide on who to listen to?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

because if you've already bought the 970 and you're happy with the purchase, the last thing you want is some annoying little fuck saying "lol get a 390 its so much bettar nvidia suckz lOlllll"

390 and 970 trade blows. Doesn't matter which one OP got, both are good cards, but fir fucks sake, if the OP has already BOUGHT the 970, piss off telling them to get a 390

And there you'll also find hordes of people saying a 970 oc beats 390 oc. Any time someone with an amd gpu comes you'll have pricks saying "get Nvidia, AMD driver iz cancer".

No point really, to always be justifying ones own purchase.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i reccomend the 390 for 1440p, but for 1080 the 970 pulls ahead. I don't fanboy for either side.

No point to reccomend 390 only for 1440p. Both have the same gaming performance. And the 970 can game at 1440p too.

Don't understand why people always feel the need to justify their purchase every time. So anyone who recommends a 390 is a "fanboy-owner"? Why should op let you decide on who to listen to?

Because it doesn't apply in this case.

Read the title, read the thread and you will find out that the OP isn't interested on a 390 at all.

And I just mentioned 2 threads, this one and other one called "Your personal experience with the GTX 970".

Recommending the 390 or any other card when asked is OK, is a good card for certain people, like the 970.

But mentioning it in basically "GTX 970" threads and trying bring the 390 on the topic almost all the time is other level.