Asus Zenfone 2 vs Oneplus One

My nexus 5 kicked the bucket recently and I am looking for a replacement phone. The Asus Zenfone 2 and the Oneplus One both caught my eye because I could get them both for roughly £220 off contract. The trouble is I can't decide which one to go for. I can see the extra gigabyte of RAM being useful as you can never have to much for android and I'm not really sure about what the deal with software is for the 1+1, is it cyanogen or oxygen?

Thanks

Zenfone is amazing, I have its older brother and I adore it! :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Well the 1+1 takes this one easily

Also it is oxygen now

Well the 1+1 takes this one easily

Also it is oxygen now

nope, it's still CM and there is still a year more of support with cyanogen.

i have a asus zenfone 2 and the battery is meh and the performance is just average. i suggest the OPO/1+1

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Between those Oneplus is just better.

Better screen, better battery life, looks better, is slightly smaller and lighter. Slightly slower, but still blazing fast and comparable camera performance.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

nope, it's still CM and there is still a year more of support with cyanogen.

Really? I thought they all just went Oxygen.

Really? I thought they all just went Oxygen.

The OS that ships with the OnePlus One is CM11, which is Android 4.4 based. From there you can upgrade to either CM12 or OsygenOS, both of which are Android 5.0 based.

COMIC SANS

The OS that ships with the OnePlus One is CM11, which is Android 4.4 based. From there you can upgrade to either CM12 or OsygenOS, both of which are Android 5.0 based.

Yeah but I thought you just could upgrade to oxygen and that's it.

Ah well.

Sold mine in February so I didn't know

How does one do this?

I've got a OPO which is on 4.4.4

Had it since last November or so.

To throw my opinion in the OPO is a great phone, but invest in a decent screen-covering case. I broke my first one when I dropped it less than 30cm, the entire top half of the screen stopped responding to my fingers.

Also, my battery life seems really poor now I've had it a while. I'm not sure if that's because I got Tinder (apparently a battery thief), though battery is still poor and I haven't swiped in almost a month now.

How does one do this?

System update I'm assuming? I dunno. I don't own the phone. Google around.

COMIC SANS

Heyyo,

OnePlus One. Hands down, especially after the price drop. :)

I'd recommend using a Rearth Ringke Fusion case. They barely add bulk compared to other shock absorbing cases and looks slick and is nice and cheap. Even comes with a basic screen protector.

Here's an Amazon UK link with Linus Tech Tips affiliate code :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OnePlus-Case-Protection-Protector-Absorption/dp/B011SJ4C1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437605794&sr=8-1&keywords=ringke+fusion+oneplus&tag=linustechtips-21

How does one do this?

I've got a OPO which is on 4.4.4

Had it since last November or so.

To throw my opinion in the OPO is a great phone, but invest in a decent screen-covering case. I broke my first one when I dropped it less than 30cm, the entire top half of the screen stopped responding to my fingers.

Also, my battery life seems really poor now I've had it a while. I'm not sure if that's because I got Tinder (apparently a battery thief), though battery is still poor and I haven't swiped in almost a month now.

The easiest way if your device won't find it on auto update? (Settings > About > System Update)

Bacon Root Tookit. It can help you root, change to OxygenOS or upgrade/downgrade your version of CyanogenMod.

http://www.wugfresh.com/brt/

It's super easy to use. Just goes to show you how awesome the OnePlus community is. :)

Tbh though? Android 5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12S is ok and looks beautiful, but I've found is more glitchy than 4.4.4 CM11S. I'd recommend waiting for CM12.1 based on Android 5.1.1 before taking the plunge to Lollipop. 5.1.1 is fantastic when I tried nightly builds before.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

OnePlus One. Hands down, especially after the price drop. :)

I'd recommend using a Rearth Ringke Fusion case. They barely add bulk compared to other shock absorbing cases and looks slick and is nice and cheap. Even comes with a basic screen protector.

Here's an Amazon UK link with Linus Tech Tips affiliate code :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OnePlus-Case-Protection-Protector-Absorption/dp/B011SJ4C1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437605794&sr=8-1&keywords=ringke+fusion+oneplus&tag=linustechtips-21

The easiest way if your device won't find it on auto update? (Settings > About > System Update)

Bacon Root Tookit. It can help you root, change to OxygenOS or upgrade/downgrade your version of CyanogenMod.

http://www.wugfresh.com/brt/

It's super easy to use. Just goes to show you how awesome the OnePlus community is. :)

Tbh though? Android 5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12S is ok and looks beautiful, but I've found is more glitchy than 4.4.4 CM11S. I'd recommend waiting for CM12.1 based on Android 5.1.1 before taking the plunge to Lollipop. 5.1.1 is fantastic when I tried nightly builds before.

Thanks for all the info. I found how to upgrade and did. It's 5.02. I'll keep an eye out for glitches etc.

For anyone looking for a good OPO case as well, I use Stilgut OPO book-type leather case. It was pricey, but it's really, really nice and adds very little bulk to the phone, which I appreciate since it's quite large haha!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StilGut%C2%AE-UltraSlim-Leather-OnePlus-Cognac/dp/B00OFT3KMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437606232&sr=8-2&keywords=stilgut+oneplus

The OnePlus One.

It's a more solid experience overall, though the ZF2 is a fine machine.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1