Speed up Steam downloads?

RevoltTrain

So, I get 130 down from my ISP, but Steam downloads are capped for me at 15mb/s. Is there anyway to speed that up?

I'm already downloading from the closest download server to me (Chicago)

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Use a VPN

Never mind, I dont think its capped. Your ISP offers you 130 megaBITS and steam downloads at 15 megaBYTES. Speeds seem fine then.

So, I get 130 down from my ISP, but Steam downloads are capped for me at 15mb/s. Is there anyway to speed that up?

That's actually about right (assuming 8 bits to the Byte), 130/8 = 16.25

Networking speeds are measured using megabits/second, not megaBytes/second.

either way that is insanely fast. (get 3.6mB/s on a really good day)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

speedtests are in Mb/s, steam shows in MB/s, b=bit, B=byte

one byte = 8 bits

130/8=16.25

so it's right.

EDIT: woops, did KB instead of MB :P

Edited by Guest

I think you have the units confused? 130 megabits per second = 16.25 megabytes per second

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We have 100/100 and I only get 5Mb/s.

Doesn't seem to be a problem on your side, so not really anything to do about it.

EDIT: With the bits and bytes ect. it actually makes sense :P Never mind my text above.

Edited by Wauthar

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Good lord, he is downloading at 15Mb/s and complains...

And here I am downloading at 350kb/s...

#FirstWorldProblems

It's more of the fact that I pay for a lot more than I get through steam. I'd like to get what I pay for.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

EDIT:: Didn't even see that. As other's said, you're already downloading at max speed roughly

Yes. Move closer to a steam data server. 

You can't? Then nope, try downloading at a low-usage time, like very early morning, or try switching servers to another server with less-usage. That last one will only warrant minor increases in speed. 

And, steam download speeds, tend to be really, really, really inconsistent. I've seen my mate get 2.5MB/s down on a game, and then when i come over, and download skyrim, I get 46MB/s down (downloaded skyrim in seriously like 7 minutes. Amazing)..., which is like... The fastest I've ever seen Steam download. Really? There's just no real way to get better downloads. Try hooking up via a ethernet cable to your router. Try using a different download server, try going into your settings and the downloads section to remove any actual caps on bandwidth, or just be a fool and move closer to a data server.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Check if you don't have limited bandwidth in steam settings.

It's already on unlimited 

It's already on unlimited 

As others said steam uses MB not Mb, b= / = B ;)

Yes. Move closer to a steam data server. 

You can't? Then nope, try downloading at a low-usage time, like very early morning, or try switching servers to another server with less-usage. That last one will only warrant minor increases in speed. 

And, steam download speeds, tend to be really, really, really inconsistent. I've seen my mate get 2.5MB/s down on a game, and then when i come over, and download skyrim, I get 46MB/s down, which is like... The fastest I've ever seen Steam download. Really? There's just no real way to get better downloads. Try hooking up via a ethernet cable to your router. Try using a different download server, try going into your settings and the downloads section to remove any actual caps on bandwidth, or just be a fool and move closer to a data server.

I'm already hardwired to my router. I've tried other servers before and download speeds have gone down.

I'm already hardwired to my router. I've tried other servers before and download speeds have gone down.

As other's have said, you're already at max speed roughly for your ISP. 

MB =/= Mb  think of it, like a 1:8 ratio, kind of, barely, it works out similar to that, but it's 6 in the morning and I've slept 9 hours over the last 3 days, so don't quote me on that.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

And this is why ISPs need to stop advertising in Mb/s...

It's more of the fact that I pay for a lot more than I get through steam. I'd like to get what I pay for.

As the others have said above, 8 bits = 1 Byte, so your connection in a theoretical perfect scenario would get you 16.25 MB/s. If you're getting 15 MB/s, that sounds normal to me—and quite good. Download speeds don't rely solely on your connection, they rely on a lot of other X-factors involving the performance of the server you're downloading from, and the routing to and from that server. Losing only a potential 1.25 MB/s isn't that bad and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

To put it another way, 15 Megabytes per second is equal to 120 Megabits per second, if that helps with clarity. 

if i recall, it's because not quite everything follows the 8 bits = 1 byte "rule" so it's probably more accurate to use bits, but I agree that it is incredibly misleading.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

And Windows needs to stop reading drives in MiB / GiB and drive sellers advertising in / GB / TB? It gives you a more exact number.

10 of you have said bits and bytes and the OP hasn't acknowledged a single one of the posts. I'm pretty sure he is a troll or he is trying to brag about his internet speed.

15x8 =~ 130

130Mb = 15MB

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)