How To Overclock Your CPU: Intel Haswell & Haswell-Refresh CPU Overclocking Guide (4670K, 4770K, 4690K, 4790K, 5820K, 5930K, 5960X)

Update: December 12, 2015:

Lately, I have found that XTU has NOT been a good marker of stability. I would recommend that you try using the AIDA64 system stability test if you find this statement to be true.

In order to start the stress testing process with AIDA64, open the program and follow these steps:

Tools > System Stability Test

In the System Stability Test menu, make sure you checkmark the following boxes:

Stress CPU

Stress FPU

Stress cache
Stress system memory

Do not checkmark Stress local disks and/or Stress GPU(s)

From here, stress test your overclock for a total of 8 hours of “Elapsed Time”

NOTE: I have added this information to the original post and to the printer friendly version of this guide.

BigDay

if im going to OC my 4790 should i just do the quick and dirty method? i don't really want to optimize the OC

if im going to OC my 4790 should i just do the quick and dirty method? i don't really want to optimize the OC

you can give it a shot!

BigDay

still good if i have a hyper 212 evo?

stress test using aida64 and see how the temperatures look. use the temperature references in my guide as a measure of safety. i no longer recommend using intel xtu

BigDay

• 3 weeks later...

Will this Same method apply for Skylake processors?? Am getting the I5 6600k with the Deepcool Captain 120 Cooler.however I don't know if ill have enough time to do 8hr Stress tests once Uni Starts. Yet I would love to reach about 4.4ghz on the Clock. What would you recommend @BigDay ??

Will this Same method apply for Skylake processors?? Am getting the I5 6600k with the Deepcool Captain 120 Cooler.however I don't know if ill have enough time to do 8hr Stress tests once Uni Starts. Yet I would love to reach about 4.4ghz on the Clock. What would you recommend @BigDay ??

i've never overclocked a skylake processor before so i can't comment on what you should do. sorry.

BigDay

• 2 months later...

I am running my 4790k at 4.6 at 1.248V stable on air cooler. idle temps are 32 deg. full load get to 70. however when  I run Aida 64 and do a Stress CPU it gets over 85 deg. so i stock the test. All other Benchmarks and stress test at full load it is no more then 71. why do is heat up so much during Aida? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 8:01 PM, ApexMaster said:

I am running my 4790k at 4.6 at 1.248V stable on air cooler. idle temps are 32 deg. full load get to 70. however when  I run Aida 64 and do a Stress CPU it gets over 85 deg. so i stock the test. All other Benchmarks and stress test at full load it is no more then 71. why do is heat up so much during Aida? 

some testing programs make things hotter. i don't know

BigDay