My Rig

So I'm planning to build my own system and I'm not sure if what I have picked out for it is good or not. I was wondering if some of you could help me out? 

Here are the links to the spreadsheet and forum I have that contain the info about it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-EGSnPAki6Co1hyqmrIqGAEvuFcOmkwt7-B9346jNoo/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1afULqU7X5BjNTCuAzEPLqZMfIzLAbV6ir19vvMQqzwo/edit?usp=sharing

Ya got some incompatible parts their m8

What is your budget and location so we can cook up a PCPartPicker link to make for better ease of use for everyone.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

X99 mobo doesn't work with the i7 4790K

Ya need a Z97

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

So I'm planning to build my own system and I'm not sure if what I have picked out for it is good or not. I was wondering if some of you could help me out? 

Here are the links to the spreadsheet and forum I have that contain the info about it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-EGSnPAki6Co1hyqmrIqGAEvuFcOmkwt7-B9346jNoo/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1afULqU7X5BjNTCuAzEPLqZMfIzLAbV6ir19vvMQqzwo/edit?usp=sharing

follow your topics. Welcome to the forums! nice avatar!

i'd suggest you get a WD blue or black instead of green, or even better, an SSD if you can afford it.

i'd also suggest getting a 750W PSU just incase you upgrade later.

I don't think that i7-4xxx will work in an x99. x99 MBs are DDR4 and i7 5xxx

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Would an Intel Core i7-5820K work in an ASUS x99 Deluxe?

Yes it would.

You'll also need DDR4 RAM if you haven't figured it out already.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not use pc part picker? 

Going off your list and making changes of my own,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($109.65 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Best Buy)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1373.46

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-02 23:21 EDT-0400

Stuck with the 4790k. changed the cooler to one I'm more familiar with and is good.

I changed the motherboard to one that's cheaper and probably just as good or better I'd think.

Kept the ram

Went with a cheaper kingston ssd, it still gud.

A 1tb WD hdd.

This card is better than an R9 280

Kept the case

I changed the power supply cause CX series is a no go. It would give you room to throw in a second 970 if you ever want to.

save money on the OS by buying from reddit or g2a. buy 8.1 pro for like $25 then get a free upgrade to 10 pro

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($109.65 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Best Buy)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg)

Stuck with the 4790k. changed the cooler to one I'm more familiar with and is good.

I changed the motherboard to one that's cheaper and probably just as good or better I'd think.

Kept the ram

A 1tb WD hdd.

Kept the case

I changed the power supply cause CX series is a no go. It would give you room to throw in a second 970 if you ever want to.

save money on the OS by buying from reddit or g2a. buy 8.1 pro for like $25 then get a free upgrade to 10 pro

Thanks so much I probably will go with what you said, I may stay with the same motherboard just because it has more USB 3.0 and Wi-Fi. Thank you to everyone else also who helped! Much appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks so much I probably will go with what you said. Thank you to everyone else also who helped! Much appreciated!!!!!!

don't get that build...

BigDay

Kept the ram

A 1tb WD hdd.

Kept the case

sorry. i'm not feeling this build at all. cooler is overkill. motherboard is overkill. ssd is not very good. gpu could be much better. psu is not the best.

BigDay

what will you be using this pc for? gaming? editing videos? rendering videos? what?

edit: do you need any peripherals? monitor? os?

what is your budget and in which currency?

are you going to be overclocking the cpu and gpu?

@

BigDay

here's a build with a great gaming monitor at 1080p. this would be a gaming build and not necessarily a workstation one. if it's over your budget, let me know. i can work around it and still include the monitor. if you're going to be gaming on a setup like this, you need a good 1ms 144 hertz monitor at 1080p

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.05 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.63 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($519.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1524.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-03 14:41 EDT-0400

BigDay

don't get that build...

wow, you don't see me replying to your build telling him not to get it.

There's nothing wrong with my build, if he wants a 4790k let him get one.

wow, you don't see me replying to your build telling him not to get it.

There's nothing wrong with my build, if he wants a 4790k let him get one.

nothing personal. just don't think the build is appropriate.

BigDay

what will you be using this pc for? gaming? editing videos? rendering videos? what?

edit: do you need any peripherals? monitor? os?

what is your budget and in which currency?

are you going to be overclocking the cpu and gpu?

@5Beans6

gaming, some video stuff.

I dont need peripherals, have what I need.

$900 - $1,500 USD

Not sure if I'm overclocking, probably not, considering the processor.

I think that I will go with what Inception9269 said, maybe change a few things but everything in it suits my needs for what im doing. Im going to a Micro Center store soon so I'm going to look around there also. Plus I already have a pretty good Kingston SSD, I just wanted another for more, faster storage. This is my first build so I'm not too concerned with getting it absolutley perfect. I appreciate the concern but I think I know what I need and this build has that. Also can you explain what you mean byit not being appropriate?

$900 - $1,500 USD

I think that I will go with what Inception9269 said, maybe change a few things but everything in it suits my needs for what im doing. Im going to a Micro Center store soon so I'm going to look around there also. Plus I already have a pretty good Kingston SSD, I just wanted another for more, faster storage. This is my first build so I'm not too concerned with getting it absolutley perfect. I appreciate the concern but I think I know what I need and this build has that. Also can you explain what you mean byit not being appropriate?

My guess is he's probably referring to the cpu. For just gaming a i5-4690k is a good option, but in my opinion if someone wants to go with a 4790k let them It's a great cpu for the price

$900 - $1,500 USD

cooler is overkill. motherboard is overkill. ssd is not very good. gpu could be much better. psu is not the best

my build is superior

BigDay

cooler is overkill. motherboard is overkill. ssd is not very good. gpu could be much better. psu is not the best

my build is superior

Arrogant much? seriously.

Arrogant much? seriously.

it's nothing personal. i just don't want to see someone waste their money on a sub-par build. i'd rather have him buy something he will be happy with in the long run

BigDay

it's nothing personal. i just don't want to see someone waste their money on a sub-par build. i'd rather have him buy something he will be happy with in the long run

of course, i forgot. unless it's a build you make then it's sub-par. fair enough

Ok guys so I think that this will be my final build revision! Here it is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kj23D3

I don't know why you'd get 3 ssds. It would be much cheaper buying 1 ssd and a 1tb hdd. Also i understand doing raid 0 with two ssds, but 3 just adds more room for failure. if anything you should at least get 4 ssds and do raid 10.

Also don't get a CX psu. if corsair at least get a CSM one