Bethesda is going to re-evaluate paid mods for Fallout 4

Ekpyrosis

Why is it pathetic? There is a way to do paid mods correctly and it's worth a calm and intelligent discussion on the matter. The only thing pathetic is people attacking others for wanting to talk about it.

There is no way to do paid mods correctly.

I am amazed that bethesda would try to pull this shit yet again after the skyrim fiasco which showed off many underlying issues at hand with introducing a system for paid mods in a game.

There is no way to do paid mods correctly.

I am amazed that bethesda would try to pull this shit yet again after the skyrim fiasco which showed off many underlying issues at hand with introducing a system for paid mods in a game.

A fair cut to modders, a curated system to ensure quality, making sure paid mods don't include work stolen from free mods, etc. Doing it correctly would take a ton of work from Bethesda, but anything less is a broken system.

Pretty sure the only reason for Skyrim trying paid mods was to lube you all up for Fallout. Fuck paid mods on Steam. Bottom line.

Now that the backlash over Skyrim has come and gone, a lot of you seem ok with this. Just like they wanted.

If a person wants to make money off of something they make, they can monetize it themselves. 

First you accept shitty dlc that companies should have had in the game to begin with.

Now you accept shitty dlc that a company didn't even make, and they get paid for.

I hope I sound like a pissed off old dude that used to buy a full game once at release, and gets angry at how accepting people are at having an unfinished game spoon fed to them in paid increments.

Because I am.

How in the world did everybody suddenly forget the key principles of game modding?

Two of them being that it is free of charge, and has full flexibility of usage. The moment you put them against a paywall and EULA, it becomes little more than the form of DLC that is already all over the place.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

A fair cut to modders, a curated system to ensure quality, making sure paid mods don't include work stolen from free mods, etc. Doing it correctly would take a ton of work from Bethesda, but anything less is a broken system.

A massive problem with regards to paid mods in general is that some mods require an existing mod in order to work.

Furthermore, some of these required mods that other mods need in order to work properly have parts of code in them that are owned by another company or organisation but can be used as long as you are not making money off of said program or code etc.

Considering that Fallout 4 (and practically every Bethesda game for nearly 10 years) runs on Gamebryo, I wouldn't be surprised if many modders just ported their stuff over to work on newer games.

This is in itself results in a problem, how do these companies/organisations get compensated?

It'll be a clusterfuck of epic proportions regarding copyright law and I wouldn't be surprised if lawyers got involved.

Also, regarding the curated system:

Valve don't even curate their store properly at the moment, what makes you think that they will start to curate paid mods suddenly?

It'll just be Greenlight 2.0: Judgement of Paid Mods ediiton.

modders should get 100%!

nope

Bethesda...they own the IP. They dictate terms. IMHO their percentages were high given their lack of work. 

But Valve? Why in the name of Zeus does Valve deserve 30% for simply hosting a few files, which is literally what some mods are. 

yeah bethseda do nothing ....just took 100+ people 4 years to make the game and engine that modders will use but other than that, lazy bastards.

as for value those files need server space and bandwidth......alot of bandwidth to have all those people access with out it crashing and that costs

paid mods = dlc and if it is not made by the devs who made the game then im not buying it....mods should be free/ dontate only we have seen excellent mods come from this model for years and so it should remain

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I had a bad feeling of this. Please make it go away. I'll just pirate mods instead.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Just boycott Bethesda, problem solved

yeah bethseda do nothing ....just took 100+ people 4 years to make the game and engine that modders will use but other than that, lazy bastards.

Oh, so the 60 EUR we pay for the game isn't supposed to cover those costs?

They make enough on sales, no need to get greedy and make more off the backs of people who invest their own free time to improve the game and make it more enjoyable.

Probably about 90% of a paid mod will be pirated. Revenue won't be big enough for modders to make a living. Skyrim is built from the ground up to have mods for free. They'll need to do it on a new system with a new game.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Modders get 50% or GTFO

I've had enough of Bethesda's BS

no

modder's should get 90-100%

steam get's enough as it is and people that own the game bethesda their money

the extra 10% should go to keeping servers up and running

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

modders should get 100%!

Yea I actually think so to but Bethesda and Valve won't have that so we have to compromise I guess. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

modders should get 100%!

They shouldn't they're using tools worth millions to make that mod.

nope

as for value those files need server space and bandwidth......alot of bandwidth to have all those people access with out it crashing and that costs

paid mods = dlc and if it is not made by the devs who made the game then im not buying it....mods should be free/ dontate only we have seen excellent mods come from this model for years and so it should remain

yeah I agree bethesda do nothing apart from overhype games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim :/

Skyrim is Currently the worst game on my steam account "actual opinion"

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I get what some of you are saying about paid mods shouldn't exist, 'cause I loathed the idea at first, but here's the thing, would you like it if instead of getting paid for what you do for your job, prefer that your boss gets paid instead for your work and all you get is a little thumbs up? I bet you fucking wouldn't, so why should the same exist for modders?

Some, not all mind you, of modders put months or even years into their creations, and they have every right to earn a bit of money to support them, and yes, there is a lot of shit in the modding scene but the same could be said of full games, there's a ton of shit, but why should the makers of actual good stuff suffer because most games are crap?

I would have agreed with most of you that are outraged about this had you asked me when the topic first came up, but now I realise that it isn't fair that modders should get nothing for putting in just as much work if not more than the original devs did, yes their work is based on prior art, but so are a lot of full games, and we don't generally lambast game devs for that now do we?

If paid mods helps a modder go on to get a job in game development or even just allows him to keep making mods then I'm all for it, if you don't support paid mods then go on Nexus Mods and get them from there, but if you're gonna do that, then at least tip them a donation and make it possible for them to keep making the things you enjoy.

Actually, on the topic of tips, of those of you asking for a tip jar, can I just ask, how many of you would legitimately give a tip? I best most of you wouldn't, in fact I bet none of you would, but you'll happily buy DLC that should have been part of the game wouldn't you? And there's the hypocrisy of some of you, you'll pay for DLC that should have been included in the game on release, but you won't give a dime to modders who actually need that money.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Bethesda should get nothing from mod sales.

We bought the game, that covers all the development costs and profits for them, no one is getting content for free here, if you're using mods you've bought the game.

If you've pirated the mods then you've most likely pirated the game and thus Bethesda's not getting any either way.

Valve should get barely any either as all they're doing is hosting, so a small payment for hosting and infrastructure.

Though, all in all, fuck paid mods. Fuck paid mods.

Fuck paid mods. Bad touch.

This is not a trend we can't have happening.

Look at all the mods that use other mods. Mods benefit from each other. 

Look at minecraft for example, people make modpacks of sometimes hundreds of other mods. Would they have to split the profit too?

There is no good world for paid mods excpet the possibility other companies might try to get in on it. (I would love a moddable BF4 so i can fix their game)

Modding has always been about passion, not about money. If they want to make money from their modding they can just join a game dev company and work for them.

yeah I agree bethesda do nothing apart from overhype games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim :/

Skyrim is Currently the worst game on my steam account "actual opinion"

troll much

I get what some of you are saying about paid mods shouldn't exist, 'cause I loathed the idea at first, but here's the thing, would you like it if instead of getting paid for what you do for your job, prefer that your boss gets paid instead for your work and all you get is a little thumbs up? I bet you fucking wouldn't, so why should the same exist for modders?

Some, not all mind you, of modders put months or even years into their creations, and they have every right to earn a bit of money to support them, and yes, there is a lot of shit in the modding scene but the same could be said of full games, there's a ton of shit, but why should the makers of actual good stuff suffer because most games are crap?

I would have agreed with most of you that are outraged about this had you asked me when the topic first came up, but now I realise that it isn't fair that modders should get nothing for putting in just as much work if not more than the original devs did, yes their work is based on prior art, but so are a lot of full games, and we don't generally lambast game devs for that now do we?

If paid mods helps a modder go on to get a job in game development or even just allows him to keep making mods then I'm all for it, if you don't support paid mods then go on Nexus Mods and get them from there, but if you're gonna do that, then at least tip them a donation and make it possible for them to keep making the things you enjoy.

Actually, on the topic of tips, of those of you asking for a tip jar, can I just ask, how many of you would legitimately give a tip? I best most of you wouldn't, in fact I bet none of you would, but you'll happily buy DLC that should have been part of the game wouldn't you? And there's the hypocrisy of some of you, you'll pay for DLC that should have been included in the game on release, but you won't give a dime to modders who actually need that money.

what a load of bull

1 its not a job it a hobby so dont try to compare the 2

2 they dont have to mod and they dont have to put months into it thats there choice so they are not entitled to a pay day

3 lifes not fair get over it

4 mods do help people get jobs and have been for years UNPAYED

5 finally if modders need money so bad..GET. A. JOB.

i WILL NOT buy a mod....ever and if fallout 4 goes with payed mods form the start i WILL NOT  buy ANY bethseda game again. its about making money.....end of

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Oh, so the 60 EUR we pay for the game isn't supposed to cover those costs?

They make enough on sales, no need to get greedy and make more off the backs of people who invest their own free time to improve the game and make it more enjoyable.

yes but without the game there are no mods....end of.  by your logic people who sample other artists music and make money from it shouldnt pay the original artist then

I spent money on Nexus less than a month ago, so please don't go telling me what a bad person I am.

Modders 45%

Valve 20%

Bethesda 35%

Fair and square. Modders are making the mods so people can enjoy and get in the game without a hustle from Bethesda + promoting the game. I think they should get a larger cut than 25% .. Wanna bet you're gonna see 25% mods ? Or 45-50% mods?...

Pick your card Bethesda, don't BS us.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I can and can't understand why people are okay with paid mods. I understand that some people feel that the modder deserves something, but that is what we have donations for. Bethesda doesn't give 2 shits about income for the modders they even have the balls to claim the biggest cut.

With the whole skyrim thing they just put in the tip and now they are getting ready to put it completely.

If you have to pay for an addition to the game and Bethesda takes the biggest cut it is basically a DLC that someone else makes for them. I'll grab my tin foil hat and yell that the big companies want to screw over the little people AGAIN.

People be looking for a reason to flame.

I do understand that modders need to get some compensation for their work but paid mods are nothing more but 3rd party dlcs.

I can already imagine lots of people exploiting the system like greenlight, putting together quick shitty mods at a low price trying to gather as much change as possible.

Plus this can be used as an excuse to gradually push less and less content in games that work more like a hub for user generated content (like little big planet).

The closest thing to paid mods I've seen implemented well is licensing a game engine, like what Paradox did for eg. Darkest Hour. Think of it like Bethesda licensing the Fallout 3 game engine to Obsidian for Fallout New Vegas, except with a team of skilled modders instead of a full-blown developer like Obsidian.

And even that sort of licensing can go wrong.

Modders should get 100% of the revenue, are they mental? It will just fail again if they try, and if they do try it, it could even make fallout 4 fail just because people would relate the two. Not a smart move at all

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s