4460 vs 8350

i know everybody on every forum says that i5 is the best ..

but by how much?

every cpu comparision site i visit give higher rating to 8350

and i know games need single stronger cores but are 8350 cores that slow to make us blindly pick 4460 over it?

i know everybody on every forum says that i5 is the best ..

but by how much?

every cpu comparision site i visit give higher rating to 8350

and i know games need single stronger cores but are 8350 cores that slow to make us blindly pick 4460 over it?

@Faceman

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

The 8350 is roughly as fast as an i5 in gaming, but in things that love multiple threads, the 8350 might pull ahead. And if things love single core performance, then the i5 will pull forward.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

By a lot. Games love IPC, games aren't a fan of loads and loads of cores (atm)

Depends what you're using it for. Games? 4460. Mainly video editing and other workstation type roles, then the 8350. 

i know games require single stronger cores..

but by how much does an 8350 struggles to a 4460?

need some true numbers and experiences here..

Depends what you're using it for. Games? 4460. Mainly video editing and other workstation type roles, then the 8350. 

i agree

To explain why

IPC, or Instructions per Clock, determines how much processing a CPU can do.

Lower IPC means weaker cores.

You can counter lower IPC by increasing clock speed, but that only fixes so much, at some point, you cannot increase clock speed due to voltage or temperature issues, thus you are stuck.

FX is stuck like this. It has low IPC, almost 45% lower then the 4460, and to alleviate this they run these chips fast and hot. Really hot. I used to own a 8320 myself, and you can easily thaw frozen pizza in 5 minutes with the exhaust air of my FX alone...

Not all programs use many threads/cores, and in such situations you NEED high IPC, unfortunately, FX doesnt have high IPC, and as a result it is slower - several seconds or minutes slower at day to day tasks such as opening programs or browsing web pages.

In games, you simply get lower FPS, like, i went from a FX8320 overclocked to 4.52GHz, in Witcher 3 i got 33 FPS. I couldnt get above it. Then i bought a i7 4790k and i instantly went up to 55-60 FPS.... My i7 4790k was overclocked to 4.4GHz, slower then the FX. But even with less clock speed i got 25-30 FPS more.... Just like the FX, an i7 got 8 threads, so when using all threads/cores, then the i7 has no special tricks up its sleeve other then raw IPC.

A small glimpse in gaming performance between the two.

[video removed]

The 8350 has an unfair advantage being clocked significantly higher.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The 8350 has an unfair advantage being clocked significantly higher.

So ? Its old chip and that OC is pretty much achievable on all 8350s with decent air cooler.

So ? Its old chip and that OC is pretty much achievable on all 8350s with decent air cooler.

It's not a fair test. It's biased and not representative of what people will be necessarily experiencing. If you make the two chips equal to each other in capability, the test becomes irrelevant.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It's not a fair test. It's biased and not representative of what people will be necessarily experiencing. If you make the two chips equal to each other in capability, the test becomes irrelevant.

Guy with staff status should be well informed that i5 got upper in hand in IPC department, to equalize this AMD needs to be overclocked. Im not playing anyones advocate here, just supplied little bit of info to him about how these 2 will perform. Even if he would go with 8350 its unilikely hell run it at stock speeds these days same as any 2500K from that era.

Guy with staff status should be well informed that i5 got upper in hand in IPC department, to equalize this AMD needs to be overclocked. Im not playing anyones advocate here, just supplied little bit of info to him about how these 2 will perform. Even if he would go with 8350 its unilikely hell run it at stock speeds these days same as any 2500K from that era.

The test is being scaled in AMD's favor. Of course I know Intel has the upper hand in the IPC department, but it is a biased test.

The test is being scaled in AMD's favor. Of course I know Intel has the upper hand in the IPC department, but it is a biased test.

Seen many of that channels vids, they never hold back Intel or favor AMD, i cant understand why youre nervous about this.

Seen many of that channels vids, they never hold back Intel or favor AMD, i cant understand why youre nervous about this.

the correct answer to your question is: not everyone is comfortable with overclocking. Yes i know its outrageously easy to OC FX cpus, i had one for almost 3 years... i know full well how easy it is.

BUT, not everyone is comfortable with OC. I got a friend, hes the type to go balls deep on hardware, he has an X99 5860k and is setting up full custom loop inside a cosmos II case... he refuses to OC because he aint comfortable with it.

So, stock for stock is a more fair comparison, even though the i5 STILL WINS, it doesnt show how shit this thing is out of the box. And out of the box is what 99% of every PC user out there will notice, and once they notice it being slow, THATS when they google "how to overclock FX 8350"... but they dont do that prior to buying the piece of crap in the first place.

You don't see many stable 8350s running at 4.7GHz on air. Water? Sure.

Either way you're also throwing 80 to 100 dollars more at the 8350, just to keep up with the 4460 which costs less at that point and has significantly better motherboard options. 

i know games require single stronger cores..

but by how much does an 8350 struggles to a 4460?

need some true numbers and experiences here..

An i5-4460 is a little stronger than an i5-2500k at stock (i5-4460 has PassMark of 6654, i5-2500k has 6468, and they're similar chips at stock).

Here is how the i5-2500k and FX-8350 stack up at stock for AAA games released in 2014:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

net results: the FX-8350 is weaker than an i3-4330 on average, and if you can overclock it to 4.7 GHz it should be right on par with the i5-4460 for minimum framerate and a little better for average framerate. But the i5-4460 will get that performance on a cheap motherboard and the stock cooler, and is an 84W chip. An FX-8350 overclocked to FX-9590 speeds is more like a 220W chip and you need a really high end 990fx board for it, not to mention you better have either a $100 closed loop watercooler or a custom loop cooling it. So it's way more expensive than just getting the i5-4460. No FX processor at any price point makes any sense for gaming.

the correct answer to your question is: not everyone is comfortable with overclocking. Yes i know its outrageously easy to OC FX cpus, i had one for almost 3 years... i know full well how easy it is.

BUT, not everyone is comfortable with OC. I got a friend, hes the type to go balls deep on hardware, he has an X99 5860k and is setting up full custom loop inside a cosmos II case... he refuses to OC because he aint comfortable with it.

So, stock for stock is a more fair comparison, even though the i5 STILL WINS, it doesnt show how shit this thing is out of the box. And out of the box is what 99% of every PC user out there will notice, and once they notice it being slow, THATS when they google "how to overclock FX 8350"... but they dont do that prior to buying the piece of crap in the first place.

Pull your punches a bit more lol. You'll upset people by giving them the raw, unforgiving truth.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

i had a i5 4460 for gaming with a mis gtx 970, games on ultra played well, the chip was cool and didn't draw much power.

i also think i read that not well optimized games or games with a lot of mods will run better on intel but I'm note sure on that one

also i would prefer the higher single core performance of the quad core

You don't see many stable 8350s running at 4.7GHz on air. Water? Sure.

Either way you're also throwing 80 to 100 dollars more at the 8350, just to keep up with the 4460 which costs less at that point and has significantly better motherboard options. 

Why is everyone attacking me like i said him to get 8350 ? I was just indicating that he will need to OC it if hed bought it, for gaming of course i5 will be better choice.