Broadwell-EX/EP disappeared from Intel's enterprise roadmaps

zMeul

source: http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/5807-broadwell-ex-ep-disappeared-from-latest-enterprise-intel-roadmaps

Some of our internal sources told us that the Enterprise declination of Broadwell architecture is recently disappeared from the latest Intel roadmaps. The Enterprise CPUs will go directly from Haswell to Skylake

intel_xeon_skylake_purley_2.png

---

this is quite the surprise because it confirms Broadwell architecture is a failure; desktop models are limited to just two: i5-5675C and i7-5775C

there are speculations that the giant chipmaker may introduce its code-named “Purley” server platform based on “Skylake-EX” and “Skylake-EP” processors earlier than originally expected

also, there are rumors customers are canceling their Xeons orders in favor of waiting for Skylake: https://goparallel.sourceforge.net/16-petaflop-supercomputer-on-hold-to-wait-for-skylake-xeon/

source: http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/5807-broadwell-ex-ep-disappeared-from-latest-enterprise-intel-roadmaps

intel_xeon_skylake_purley_2.png

---

this is quite the surprise because it confirms Broadwell architecture is a failure; desktop models are limited to just two: i5-5675C and i7-5775C

there are speculations that the giant chipmaker may introduce its code-named “Purley” server platform based on “Skylake-EX” and “Skylake-EP” processors earlier than originally expected

also, there are rumors customers are canceling their Xeons orders in favor of waiting for Skylake: https://goparallel.sourceforge.net/16-petaflop-supercomputer-on-hold-to-wait-for-skylake-xeon/

I mean this isn't news considering leaked roadmaps had dropped broadwell-e since well before broadwell launched. A failure isn't the right term I would say, but since we are going to be on 14nm for a while (likely over two years) I wouldn't mind getting the new architecture right away instead of being stuck on haswell meets 14nm (which imho was always a bit weird).

Basically since 14nm production yields took so long to develop, their new architecture was basically ready right away. Aka skylake didn't face the same delays broadwell did and so the gimped release of broadwell is the reason skylake is going to go balls deep.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

this might be good we are skipping a gen and we can get back on track with the same generation as the mainstream variants hopefully

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

this might be good we are skipping a gen and we can get back on track with the same generation as the mainstream variants hopefully

I honestly don't even know why broad well was launched when it was going to be replaced so quickly...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I honestly don't even know why broad well was launched when it was going to be replaced so quickly...

Because...y not? I guess?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

very low demand from distributors/OEM because they still had large stocks of haswell chips

performance isnt increase with each new generation because intel is refusing to use larger dies, in fact die sizes have been decreasing in time.

just go look at the die sizes since sandybridge, Intel is cost saving, if they keep doing this its gonna be pointless buying new CPUs

Zen might just give us one more great CPU and keep intel on its toes

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

just gonna sit here with my ivy and wait for something big to happen that is worth an upgrade....

I do have broadwell laptop though. Power savings is nice for mobile chips

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

That's a good thing

That means the X series and Z series will be on the same first number.

6700k will be skylake and so will the 6969x ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I'm afraid with so little LGA Broadwell are produced. They will become collectable in the future. 

That's a good thing

That means the X series and Z series will be on the same first number.

6700k will be skylake and so will the 6969x ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

51709480.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

51709480.jpg

but i wasn't laughing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

but i wasn't laughing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

kmewnz.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

very low demand from distributors/OEM because they still had large stocks of haswell chips

performance isnt increase with each new generation because intel is refusing to use larger dies, in fact die sizes have been decreasing in time.

just go look at the die sizes since sandybridge, Intel is cost saving, if they keep doing this its gonna be pointless buying new CPUs

Zen might just give us one more great CPU and keep intel on its toes

Before you go running your mouth, you might want to actually study the intricacies which govern CPU performance. It doesn't matter if Intel builds a bigger core. 4-way or 8-way SMT could be done, but no software on the consumer side uses that many threads simultaneously anyway. Widening the Out of Order engine wouldn't do much when statistically every 7-9th line of code is a branch. If you deepen the pipeline you also make the results of a branch miss more penalizing. So regardless of what Intel does, making the core bigger on its own will do nothing for you. Beyond that, most of the instructions used in consumer software today are optimized very close to their theoretical limits of possible instruction latencies. http://www.agner.org/optimize/instruction_tables.pdf

Software must evolve. Intel already did all the ground work providing new instruction set extensions and standards to use them easily, not to mention all the work which went into building multithreading standards and APIs to make it easy. Intel deserves no flak for your meager performance gains in legacy software modes. Almost all of the blame should be put on software companies themselves. The rest belongs squarely on Microsoft's shoulders for having such ancient legacy support for their Operating Systems. Even Windows 10 works with a Pentium IV. At this point not jumping up to at least Nehalem is astounding to me. Who the bloody F*CK is still using a P4?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Who the bloody F*CK is still using a P4?

my sister's PC is a P4 derived Celly  :rolleyes:

will she jump from Xp to W10? most likely, not

Before you go running your mouth, you might want to actually study the intricacies which govern CPU performance. It doesn't matter if Intel builds a bigger core. 4-way or 8-way SMT could be done, but no software on the consumer side uses that many threads simultaneously anyway. Widening the Out of Order engine wouldn't do much when statistically every 7-9th line of code is a branch. If you deepen the pipeline you also make the results of a branch miss more penalizing. So regardless of what Intel does, making the core bigger on its own will do nothing for you. Beyond that, most of the instructions used in consumer software today are optimized very close to their theoretical limits of possible instruction latencies. http://www.agner.org/optimize/instruction_tables.pdf

Software must evolve. Intel already did all the ground work providing new instruction set extensions and standards to use them easily, not to mention all the work which went into building multithreading standards and APIs to make it easy. Intel deserves no flak for your meager performance gains in legacy software modes. Almost all of the blame should be put on software companies themselves. The rest belongs squarely on Microsoft's shoulders for having such ancient legacy support for their Operating Systems. Even Windows 10 works with a Pentium IV. At this point not jumping up to at least Nehalem is astounding to me. Who the bloody F*CK is still using a P4?

From what I've heard multithreaded coded works against human thinking practices. That said I won't defend game programmers who spend years on cathedrals while releasing a broken game...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

From what I've heard multithreaded coded works against human thinking practices. That said I won't defend game programmers who spend years on cathedrals while releasing a broken game...

I would disagree, but I have Asperger's and have always excelled at mathematical reasoning. I have a blog with a basic template of how to set up a multithreaded game and an HPC blog where I discuss optimization both in multithreaded and single-threaded scenarios that I'm trying to extend without going off the deep end on a rant about Microsoft (though I may just have to publish that page and let everything think what they wish). http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/684/entry-854-start-multithreaded-and-separated/

Now, working in assembly is very much contrary to human thinking systems, and it takes a special sort of nut case to be able to build a complex system in assembly these days, especially in x86. With 6502 on the Atari you only had I think 16 instructions, and you knew how many clocks each instruction took for the Atari 2600/5200/7800, NES, and SNES. You were given very simple communication protocols to follow to get the graphics chip to do something (change the color of pixels basically). I built 2 Atari 2600 video games in 3 weeks spending 8+ hours a day coding and trying things for a winter term class. That was a nightmare, but it was fun. Multithreading is easy on its face. And it's not like games actually have so many moving parts at the system level for there to be an excuse. On the GPU rendering side, yes, very complicated. The stuff the CPU should be doing is very simple unless you want to go balls to the wall on game AI or are running an MMO and need to do lots of socket communications.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Multithreading is easy on its face. And it's not like games actually have so many moving parts at the system level for there to be an excuse. On the GPU rendering side, yes, very complicated. The stuff the CPU should be doing is very simple unless you want to go balls to the wall on game AI or are running an MMO and need to do lots of socket communications.

but rendering falls on the API and the driver, so developer doesn't have to get into that

but rendering falls on the API and the driver, so developer doesn't have to get into that

The developer has to know how to use the API, and according to Nvidia a lot of games ship with fundamentally broken code that they just find workarounds for on the driver side. I doubt Nvidia's lying given its drivers are bigger pieces of software than the Windows 7 OS itself. So in the end if games aren't fully utilizing AMD's hardware, it comes down to the developers being careless and/or AMD not writing its drivers in such a way as to let common code paths do more with their hardware. AMD already translates all the DX kernels to compute workloads anyway, so it's not as if this is beyond possibility.

Btw, it seems people really underestimate how incredible the advancements in compilers has been over the last decade.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Btw, it seems people really underestimate how incredible the advancements in compilers has been over the last decade.

Well, they're incredible if you're not Microsoft's compiler which still doesn't have full C++11 support.

Yeah, but are they cleverer than Mel?

Backwards compatibility is one of the single most limiting factors in the performance of moderns cpus.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

just gonna sit here with my ivy and wait for something big to happen that is worth an upgrade....

I do have broadwell laptop though. Power savings is nice for mobile chips

It's pretty sad that it's been like 4 years with next to no CPU performance improvements from Intel.

Lower power usage and better integrated graphics are nice and all, but Intel haven't really given desktop users with a Sandy Bridge processor or newer any reason to upgrade.

I wish they would give us unlocked 6 core processors on LGA 1152 or whatever whey will call the next socket. They could drop all their dual cores while they were at it as well.

It's pretty sad that it's been like 4 years with next to no CPU performance improvements from Intel.

Lower power usage and better integrated graphics are nice and all, but Intel haven't really given desktop users with a Sandy Bridge processor or newer any reason to upgrade.

I wish they would give us unlocked 6 core processors on LGA 1152 or whatever whey will call the next socket. They could drop all their dual cores while they were at it as well.

Really Intel hasn't given you any reason to upgrade? Because Intel makes the software that uses legacy shitty instruction sets and doesnt even tax the cpu? And Intel definitely must be responsible for dx11 basically not scaling past two cores....

They have done their shit, few software developers have given two shits about it and continue to press the same poorly optimized crap down consumers throats.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Really Intel hasn't given you any reason to upgrade? Because Intel makes the software that uses legacy shitty instruction sets and doesnt even tax the cpu? And Intel definitely must be responsible for dx11 basically not scaling past two cores....

They have done their shit, few software developers have given two shits about it and continue to press the same poorly optimized crap down consumers throats.

Nope, Intel hasn't given me any reasons to upgrade. If they made a 6 core processor for let's say ~300 dollars on their consumer platform then I would get it in a heart beat.