Meet the $20 Android PC that actually looks functional

TopWargamer

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1123481999/remix-mini-the-worlds-first-true-android-pc

The idea of Android being used as a desktop OS is nothing new. They've actually been around for a while, but they all kind of suck. They're either literally just Android on an HDMI dongle or too darn expensive. The Remix Mini changes this by bringing a desktop skin to Android at an affordable price, and it looks really functional.

(And here is the part where I would embed the Kickstarter video, if I could...)

Now, let's be clear on something real quick, $20 is the early bird price. The Remix Mini will retail for $30 with a higher end model being available for $40 (early bird) and $50 retail. Those are still really good prices though.

Anyways, the specs, because that's always important. The $20/$30 model will come with an Allwinner quad-core 64-bit 1.2GHz processor, 8GB of storage (which is expandable via microSD), and 1GB of RAM. Best specs around? No, but for $20? Yes.

The $40/$50 model will come with the same Allwinner processor, 16GB of storage (again, expandable), and 2GB of RAM. So, in my opinion, it's well worth it to spend the extra $20 and get this model.

Other specs include two USB 2.0 ports, an HDMI 1.4 port, an ethernet (10/100) port, and a headphone jack. It also supports WiFi at b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0. What's even more interesting is that the Remix Mini supports H.265 4K hardware decoding and 4K HDMI output

fba18f771a.jpg

So how are they able to keep the price so low while giving you so much performance for the price? It's all in the magical Allwinner processor. When I was looking through the Kickstarter, I recognized exactly what processor it was. It's Allwinner's $5 processor that I reported on many months ago. We're finally seeing it in a product, and I am very excited to see some benchmarks for it. Hey, if it can playback 4K, it can't be that bad. 

It's unclear when the Remix Mini will officially launch, but Kickstarter backers can expect their system to show up in October of this year.

f60f3646c0.png

COMIC SANS

Can we stop kickstarting things like this already. Look around people, china already make 100 different ones like this one, even more powerful ones  <_<

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

To be honest, these devices are more about the software rather than the hardware. That being said, there are plenty of lightweight operating systems you could throw onto a device like this.

Sideload Kodi APK and turn that $20/$30 box into a very capable media center!

COMIC SANS

Holy crap that looks exactly like Windows 10

Hah, I thought the exact same thing! When I was first skimming through the Kickstarter I was like "Is that Windows!? :o" Sadly it's not, but luckily it is Android, so many apps await. Remember how Microsoft is making a free version of Windows 10 for the Raspberry Pi 2? I wonder if that will run on the Remix Mini... Hhhmmm...

COMIC SANS

-snip-

We have phones for a reason. Besides, if you're going to use a monitor, you mine as well have a laptop that's 50 times more powerful. This isn't worth it.

Hah, I thought the exact same thing! When I was first skimming through the Kickstarter I was like "Is that Windows!? :o" Sadly it's not, but luckily it is Android, so many apps await. Remember how Microsoft is making a free version of Windows 10 for the Raspberry Pi 2? I wonder if that will run on the Remix Mini... Hhhmmm...

I almost thought it was Chrome OS :o

Well, for £10 I can buy a NowTV, which is a locked down version of the Roku or I can spend that bit more and get a full Roku for the same price as this.

Touche. Some media center products would probably be better, but Kodi is still very capable. I dunno, just throwing ideas around.

COMIC SANS

There are similar products. But there's nothing wrong with having more variety. That is really cheap for an internet connected device. 

Yeah. Just for the lolz, I recreated the image on my PC. 

post-81427-0-21903400-1436985530_thumb.j

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

We have phones for a reason. Besides, if you're going to use a monitor, you mine as well have a laptop that's 50 times more powerful. This isn't worth it.

A laptop is also 15-20x more expensive but I agree with you, this seems useless to me.

A laptop is also 15-20x more expensive but I agree with you, this seems useless to me.

Nah, same price if you calculate it (or less if you fit in the specs). For this, you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers. Minimum price for these is over $150, + the computer which is $20. Total of $170. With $170 you can go buy a laptop with way better specs, and you can carry it around way easier than carrying a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and a monitor around...

Nah, same price if you calculate it (or less if you fit in the specs). For this, you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers. Minimum price for these is over $150, + the computer which is $20. Total of $170. With $170 you can go buy a laptop with way better specs, and you can carry it around way easier than carrying a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and a monitor around...

True, the most interesting thing about this is the remix OS but other than that it has nothing going for it.

Man, this is just a concept. Take those kickstarters indiegogos with a grain of salt. A lot of people got burned by not getting the item, not getting it in time, getting it in half functioning state and so on. All of those campaigns have beautiful videos and people buy into it, the campaigner run of with the money or make a shitty product.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

why do people keep making a desktop/pc OS out of android which is a modded/phone version of linux the pc OS?

this makes absolutely no sense!

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Since when does android not have "keyboard support"? I can attach a keyboard to my phone if I want to.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I bought a great monitor for 55 euros, got a free keyboard, and a free or spare mouse. That makes 75-105 euros. That's:

1. much cheaper than a laptop

2. doesn't have a freaking fan, that sounds like it blows the world away, but actually does nothing -_-.

Heck, you could buy a 4:3 monitor for 10 euros or so and use that! Not that cheap laptops have good screens anyways...

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

There are similar products. But there's nothing wrong with having more variety. That is really cheap for an internet connected device.

Big difference between nothing wrong and give me money on Kickstart though, second part is getting out of hand.

-------

Current Rig

-------

My largest problem is that it has $15 shipping so a $20 android PC ends up being $35 which seems crazy to me. It seems like a nice OS for android, but I'll pass. I don't actually know what I'd actually use it for.

so we have Zenfone 2 with a Quad core atom and 4 GB of ram in that form factor and they're tryin to sell that ? what?! .. why not have a powerfull - ready to be developed on base(hardware) since , you know .. we already have them , and not have to upgrade to another box in 6 months ?

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

I bought a great monitor for 55 euros, got a free keyboard, and a free or spare mouse. That makes 75-105 euros. That's:

1. much cheaper than a laptop

2. doesn't have a freaking fan, that sounds like it blows the world away, but actually does nothing -_-.

Heck, you could buy a 4:3 monitor for 10 euros or so and use that! Not that cheap laptops have good screens anyways...

YOU got it free. That doesn't mean everyone will. You aren't the only person in the world in case you haven't realized. This computer is shit. You can't run anything that'll overheat a laptop, and even if it was possible, the cooler (which will cost $15) will still make it cheaper. $65 monitor (never seen one, but whatever), $15 keyboard, $10 mouse, $10 headset. This is a total of $120 for this cheap computer, vs a computer with WAY better specs at $30 more, if that.

That windows 10 for Raspberry Pi is just an embedded OS, it's only for IoT projects that are controlled by a Windows 10 PC. On its own it's basically useless.