Do O-Rings really help with keyboard noise reduction?

VoxelBlock

I currently own Corsairs K70 RGB with red switches, and though the red switches aren't particularly loud when compared to blue or green switches, it's still loud enough when bottoming out the keys that it bothers others who might be in the room. After doing some quick searching, I found that o-rings can help with noise reduction, but after doing some further digging, I found mixed reviews on whether they actually help or not.

I'd like some feedback from people who installed o-rings on their keyboards and whether or not they helped with noise reduction along with what type you use. I'd preferably like to hear from people who own K70's, although all feedback is welcome!

CPU: Intel i7 5820k || CPU Cooler: Noctua D14 || GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW (2-way SLI) || Motherboard: MSI X99 SLI Plus || RAM: 32GB G.Skill 2400Mhz || Storage: 3x 1TB HDD; 240GB SSD || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Displays: AOC 27" 1080p; LG 24" 1080p || Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB || Mouse: Corsair Sabre Optical || Sound: AKG K240 Studio Headphones || OS: Multi-boot: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04

Yeap! I've removed the o-rings on my g710+ and it became louder so yeah.... O-rings are nice if you like to soften the tone a lil

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

snip

Yes they do. I have a Tesoro Excalibur Spectrum with Kailh Blue switches. Previously before I got the O-rings, they are really loud, you can hear the distinction between the switch itself and the keycap hitting the bottom. But after I put O-rings on all my keycaps, you only hear just the switches, good for me especially at night as I like the sound of keyboards but it was a little too loud in the beginning.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I currently own Corsairs K70 RGB with red switches, and though the red switches aren't particularly loud when compared to blue or green switches, it's still loud enough when bottoming out the keys that it bothers others who might be in the room. After doing some quick searching, I found that o-rings can help with noise reduction, but after doing some further digging, I found mixed reviews on whether they actually help or not.

I'd like some feedback from people who installed o-rings on their keyboards and whether or not they helped with noise reduction along with what type you use. I'd preferably like to hear from people who own K70's, although all feedback is welcome!

O-rings do help but it makes the bottoming out point a little bit higher so you have to adjust to this. You can't be smashing the keys as then there won't be much of a difference.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yes they help, but if you are the type of person that smashes the keys down every letter then it will still be loud. Better to muscle learn to not bottom put keys.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yes. They also help you to not bottom out your keys. I like mine on my G710 with cherry MX blues because I still get the nice clicky feeling with less noise and a bit more stiffness which I like. ^^

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

I put 3mm o rings on my k70rgb  and love it, so quiet!

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

Yes it will help, as it will reduce the bottoming out noise, which is the only noise the Red switches make. 

Although as mentioned, it will reduce the travel of the key. Reds are already a switch that is very easy to actuate - adding the o-rings will further accentuate the case.

I've tried it myself, and although it is quiet - I'm not much of a fan, because it feels to short and fast, making it difficult to type. But different things suit different people :)