Comcast’s forthcoming Gigabit Pro Pricing- 2Gbps

jos

Lol comcast. 

Trying to scam everybody before Google Fiber is available all across Silicon Valley.

They'll say it's UP TO 2Gbps when it throttles.

They'll cap your internet when 2Gpbs is offered. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

FFS

Let me make the question more clear...

What happens when your download bandwidth exceeds your write speed?

You wait

That is super expensive, but it beats what Verizon is charging a similar price for a service with less downlink and uplink.

899beb0757.png

Both plans are still ridiculously expensive, especially when compared to Google Fiber.

You missed a thing. The verizon one is 500mbps down and up

The xfinity is 2gbit down. Xfinity advertises great download speeds and dosent mention shitty upload. Their upload speed on a 100mbps plan is 8mbps. Like wtf

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

You missed a thing. The verizon one is 500mbps down and up

The xfinity is 2gbit down. Xfinity advertises great download speeds and dosent mention shitty upload. Their upload speed on a 100mbps plan is 8mbps. Like wtf

Cause the consumer doesn't need high upload speeds /s

BS like that stops me from running an MC server.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Cause the consumer doesn't need high upload speeds /s

BS like that stops me from running an MC server.

Oo. lol mc server.

That is the exact reason why I looked into xfinitys upload speed. Fuck it, im switching to google gigabit when it comes out here

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Oo. lol mc server.

That is the exact reason why I looked into xfinitys upload speed. Fuck it, im switching to google gigabit when it comes out here

I've got a server grade CPU, plenty of storage space and RAM-only my internet lets me down (then again, Aussie Telco know how to put American ones to shame-4 Billion dollars given to Telstrea to do network upgrades, only a small software change was done then the rest of the money went 'poof'. And Telstra couldn't be successfully charged with fraud as they 'lost' all evidence.

PMSL

The notorious Comcast "up to" will guarantee this is still worse then Google Fiber or (EPB Fiber Optics in my area)

Lord of Helium.

72 USD for 2gbps in Singapore

Honestly, no difference in  speed for day to day usage and it is overkill for now
But my ISP upgraded us to 2gbps from the standard 1gbps for free and since my new x99 build could support it, was a issue of why not

The fastest I can hit for most international servers(US Leaseweb) is around 63.8mb/s approx 512mbps

- excluding local servers, microsoft/steam/adobe CDNs which can hit close to 900mbps on burst

4486761596.png

I still find it extremely funny a third world country like Romania has 1Gbps Down/200up  for 14$ month with free install and router, and you actually dont get any throttle.

300$+1000$ Comcast :D I think i finally get it why US is 1st world economy, US corporations fuck people really badly lel. And i bet they throttle that too, and you never actually get 2Gbps.

Yeah.  This is why I only will move to towns that have municipal gigabit or google fiber.  And next year is Google fiber :3

2Gbps(250 MB/s) is faster than most hard drives(HDD) can write to disk, how does that work when downloading something at max bandwidth? Serious question.

I guess put your downloads folder on an SSD like a boss, although I would assume you'd be server limited mostly anyway... I doubt they want clients taking up 2gbps of their upload bandwidth... Maybe one day we will need the equivalent speed of an Intel 750 drive for downloading though...

In the year 2115

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

That's just rediculus pricing, I get this included in my rent.

4503824295.png

I'd have to pay an extra 20$ for 1Gbps, yay Sweden.

*drooling* but in all seriousness that is expensive and really a luxury then what is necessary. Let get gigabit everywhere first before doing this please.

What's the max bandwidth that ethernet port support in most Mobos I/O.With Fiber coming will there be a fiber IN port in future MoBos.

CPU:i5-4460; Mobo:Gigabyte H97 D3H; RAM:GSkill Ripjaws X 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz; PSU:Corsair CS550; HDD:WD Blue 1 TB

Case:Corsair Carbide 200R ; Monitor:AOC i2369Vm(1080p IPS) ; Input:Logitech G502,Mk 345 ; GPU:MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Twin Frozer V

What's the max bandwidth that ethernet port support in most Mobos I/O.With Fiber coming will there be a fiber IN port in future MoBos.

Nah, There's copper wire that can carry 10Gbit for household purposes, also you don't want to run Fiber cables into computers, as they're fragile, you'd be better off with a fibre converter outside house/apartment and then running copper the last length for durability purposes. 

I can only wish to even have a choice to install one of these connection.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I guess put your downloads folder on an SSD like a boss, although I would assume you'd be server limited mostly anyway... I doubt they want clients taking up 2gbps of their upload bandwidth... Maybe one day we will need the equivalent speed of an Intel 750 drive for downloading though...

In the year 2115

We're getting to this point I guess, once Gigabit becomes more mainstream available.  People are going to try downloading to WD Blues or Greens and it will start shitting the bed if it reaches full speed.

We're getting to this point I guess, once Gigabit becomes more mainstream available.  People are going to try downloading to WD Blues or Greens and it will start shitting the bed if it reaches full speed.

WD Blues and Blacks won't with Gigabit, the Greens however are quite simply cheap HDD for backup so of course they'll have problems.

PMSL

Indeed but at the same time, I think 2 GBPS is totally luxury. I think there's a serious argument of QOL until about 250 mbps down, after that's it's bling. I'd be perfectly ok with paying 300$ for a 2 GBPS connection, as long as 250 to 500 mbps is like 50-60$

edited: My z87-a mobo is apparently limited to 1gbps

If someone can commit 8500 usd over 2 year.. he will be having ssd for download. Anyway al download speeds will be mentioned in bps not Bps. b=bit, B= byte. 2Gbps= 2048/8= 256MBps. 

Still out of reach for most HDD.

PMSL

cant see many people actually needing that speed. Actually i see no one residentially needing that speed. Most of yall want it just to have it. get some patience and wait 30 minutes for your hd pron or 10gb game to download. Pfft entitled bastards. I have 50mbs down and 10mbs up. and I play games, have you tube going, misc downloads going on in the backround and i have no problems what so ever. What is with u people needing all this speed seriously. 

Anyway al download speeds will be mentioned in bps not Bps. b=bit, B= byte. 2Gbps= 2048/8= 256MBps. 

At no point did anyone confuse bits with bytes in this thread, there was no point in saying this

2Gbps(250 MB/s) is faster than most hard drives(HDD) can write to disk, how does that work when downloading something at max bandwidth? Serious question.

1) You don't need to write anything to disk: from ethernet straight into ram and processing for streaming video

2) You'll rarely use only 1 device on that connection

3) You'll rarely find someone who can afford the outrageous prices without both an SSD on their computer and even more likely some type of NAS

-------

Current Rig

-------