PSU ranking and tiers

Aniallation

So yah the corsair vs series sucks, it gets almost ,5 voltage difference on the 12v when under load it freezes my system. Should i take the:Seasonic M12II Evo 520W? I wont take the corsair cx or sv series -.- . My system only ran an gtx 750ti, 8gb drr3, i5 3470 and one hdd....

M12II is solid and modular. I'd take it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Any suggestions on wich one, 500W+

you could get EVGA GS550W

it's very popular, because it's pretty cheap and a very good unit

GS is more expensive than M12II IIRC

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Its 20 euros more expensive, I do not really need 80 plus gold. But thanks for the suggestion!

When you get the 'tiers' endorsed by a reputable organisation, I might take it seriously!

Someone is salty his PSU is regarded as tier 4 or 5

When you get the 'tiers' endorsed by a reputable organisation, I might take it seriously!

It was just re-organized so idk man get your panties out of that knot

"Rawr XD"

I am using Dark Power pro 10 yeah :D

Note : in europe we have the Dark Power Pro 11 now (80+ plat now) , maybe update if it's aviable for the us too.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

Note : in europe we have the Dark Power Pro 11 now (80+ plat now) , maybe update if it's aviable for the us too.

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks to be an excellent unit according to JG's review. Only criticism being for usability and aesthetic reasons, which I won't dock points for here due to this being a list based on performance and build/component quality rather than bells and whistles. Has been added to the list :)

"Rawr XD"

So why did the GS get knocked down to tier 2? Sure it doesn't have g2 ripple suppression but still.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

So why did the GS get knocked down to tier 2? Sure it doesn't have g2 ripple suppression but still.

Depends on which GS you are talking about. If I were to try to comprehend the meaning of each tier (every person who makes a list will evaluate each tier differently), the GS 850-1050 should be in Tier 1, as it is based on the refreshed Seasonic X KM3, as you can tell by looking at the internal. Going back a page shows that it had yield 12v: 0.4% | 25mVpp; 5v: 0.4% | 12mVpp; 3.3v: 0.6%| 12mVpp; in respect to load regulation and ripple suppression.

However, the EVGA Supernova 550/650 is a completely different platform, as you could see in the internal. It's similar to the Seasonic G in some regards (Half-Bridge + LLC Resonant Topology, semi-synchronous rectified +12v where the minor rails are generated from the +12v via DC-DC), but it still a different, new platform from Seasonic.

In its current form, it seem to be worse than even the Seasonic G, as it (GS) had yield: 12v: 2.1% | 50mVpp; 5v: 2.2% | 20mVpp; 3.3v: 3.3%| 20mVpp,

while the SS G yield: 12v: 1.1% | 27mVpp; 5v: 0.8% | 22mVpp; 3.3v: 1.2%| 15mVpp.

This could be the reason why Seasonic has yet to give an official name to the platform, as it is still in the process of being refined.

Since he had put the Fractal Design Edison M (which is also a Seasonic G as you can see here) in tier 3 for some reason, I'd suspect that the GS 550/650 should be there as well.

Noice, now this list is more detailed :D (but my PSU has dropped a tier :'( oh well)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

@Aniallation is this a good psu for a 390? i cant find it in the list

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/b-series/b600ver2/

I'd have to say no.

You got that wrong because I can tell you now the GS is tier 1 worthy

As stated above the GS can be either tier 1 or 2 depending on the model, but often times with the price of the 750W+ GS it's usually more worth your money to get a G2 instead.

"Rawr XD"

First off, thanks for taking the time to put this post together and maintain it. Also, just a heads-up, but you have the XFX Pro / Pro Black series as Tier 2, but the internals are from the SeaSonic X series, which you have listed as Tier 1. Here is one example for the XFX Pro Black 1250 where jonnyguru discusses this:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=273

Since the main things he docs the XFX for are advertising and value (still a recommended product though), I don't think it makes sense to have basically the exact same PSU from a functionality standpoint in different Tiers - although perhaps I am overlooking something?  Advertising and cost obviously don't effect the performance, not to mention cost changes all the time.  His other reviews mention this too, although a lot of the time he just refers to SeaSonic, and not SeaSonic X specifically. 

I bought the XFX for one of the main reasons being that it was basically a rebranded SeaSonic, had all the options I needed (at the time anyway, could use larger now), and there was a good deal I found on pcpartpicker.com.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

...you have the XFX Pro / Pro Black series as Tier 2, but the internals are from the SeaSonic X series, which you have listed as Tier 1...

...although perhaps I am overlooking something?

"XFX - TS Gold, Pro Gold, Pro XXX, XTR"

Under rebrands:

"Seasonic G/S12G

Cooler Master V-series (fully modular)

XFX TS Gold, Pro Gold, Pro XXX, XTR"

The "Pro Gold" are being put together with the G series; however, the only gold units that has the ProSeries name were the XFX Pro 750/850 Black Edition (Seasonic X KM3) and 1050/1250 (Seasonic X XM). Since the ProSeries Black Edition has the same model number as the G build XTR 750, there are some stores that mislabel the series, and that what may have caused the confusion.

The fully modular Cooler Master V series are X KM3 as well (there are new Enhance Electronic fully modular unit coming up though in the same V series though...), as well as the Pro XXX are either Bronze (Seasonic M12II-B / AM platform) or Silver (M12D / HT platform).

I have a OCZ... RIP.

ZX1250w Gold, thing has been running perfectly for 4 years. Currently powering my 4790k at 4.8Ghz and a 980Ti.

Probably helps I well over bought the PSU vs my power draw.

"XFX - TS Gold, Pro Gold, Pro XXX, XTR"

Under rebrands:

"Seasonic G/S12G

Cooler Master V-series (fully modular)

XFX TS Gold, Pro Gold, Pro XXX, XTR"

The "Pro Gold" are being put together with the G series; however, the only gold units that has the ProSeries name were the XFX Pro 750/850 Black Edition (Seasonic X KM3) and 1050/1250 (Seasonic X XM). Since the ProSeries Black Edition has the same model number as the G build XTR 750, there are some stores that mislabel the series, and that what may have caused the confusion.

The fully modular Cooler Master V series are X KM3 as well (there are new Enhance Electronic fully modular unit coming up though in the same V series though...), as well as the Pro XXX are either Bronze (Seasonic M12II-B / AM platform) or Silver (M12D / HT platform).

While you are obviously well versed in the matter, so I am hesitant to argue, but after looking into it more I suggest you double check regarding the XTR version at least. For example, the XFX XTR 750w (I have this one) is fully modular, and has the hybrid fan mode.  All the same features as the SeaSonic X series.  The SeaSonic G series is only semi modular and does not have hybrid mode. Also, given the similarities in features and layout, I am pretty sure the 750w XFX Pro Series Black Edition was replaced with the rebranded XFX XTR Series, reserving the Pro Series for power outputs greater than 1000w.  Which explains why the "750w XFX Pro Black" I purchased showed up as a "750w XFX XTR," and why they have the same part number.

Consequently, I am almost certain that the XFX XTR is indeed based off the SeaSonic X series, and not the budget SeaSonic G series (HardOCP.com did a review where I believe they also mistakenly attributed the XTR to the G-Series instead of the X series).  Although I don't doubt that the XFX models below the XTR and Pro series are probably based on the G series, but I haven't looked into this much. Ultimately though, I don't work for either, haven't inspected all the boards personally, and therefore far from 100% certain...so who knows.  

It sounds like we are in agreement though that the XFX Pro Black series are based on the SeaSonic X platform, which leads me to my original point, that they should be in the same Tier (1 or 2, as long as they are consistent).

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

While you are obviously well versed in the matter, so I am hesitant to argue, but after looking into it more I suggest you double check regarding the XTR version at least. For example, the XFX XTR 750w (I have this one) is fully modular, and has the hybrid fan mode.  All the same features as the SeaSonic X series.  The SeaSonic G series is only semi modular and does not have hybrid mode. Also, given the similarities in features and layout, I am pretty sure the 750w XFX Pro Series Black Edition was replaced with the rebranded XFX XTR Series, reserving the Pro Series for power outputs greater than 1000w.  Which explains why the "750w XFX Pro Black" I purchased showed up as a "750w XFX XTR," and why they have the same part number.

Consequently, I am almost certain that the XFX XTR is indeed based off the SeaSonic X series, and not the budget SeaSonic G series (HardOCP.com did a review where I believe they also mistakenly attributed the XTR to the G-Series instead of the X series).  Although I don't doubt that the XFX models below the XTR and Pro series are probably based on the G series, but I haven't looked into this much. Ultimately though, I don't work for either, haven't inspected all the boards personally, and therefore far from 100% certain...so who knows.

Here are images of the layout of each 750w units we are talking about.

XFX ProSeries 750w Black Edition (turn image 90 degree counter-clockwise) : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/xfx-pro-750-w-black-edition-full-modular-power-supply-review/2/

Spoiler

hs_Pro750wModular_051.jpg

Seasonic X 750 KM3 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/X-750/4.html

Spoiler

in_top2.jpg

XFX XTR 750w : http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM5Mjg2NTc3OGFHSVdDYzRHdThfM184X2wuanBn

Spoiler

1392865778aGIWCc4Gu8_3_8_l.jpg

Seasonic G 750w : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/30/seasonic_gseries_g750_power_supply_review/3#.VqwbmVLLu4w

Spoiler

1382304019F44GhxIXPe_3_8_l.jpg

With further verification: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/XTR650/4.html

"Using the same platform as Seasonic's G-series models, The XTR-650 is manufactured by Seasonic, like all other XTR units."

So like I had said, XTR 550-750w is Seasonic G. ProSeries 750/850 is KM3. However, XTR 850w is refreshed KM3, so you are partially right. =)

Anyways, as long as the customer request it (in this case, XFX) and it isn't a major change / custom design, Seasonic can do some modification to the platform such as making it fully modular, differences in fan (like the original G had a 2BB fan and the XTR has a FDB fan), component selection, etc

Isn't the B1 better? 

REALLY BIG SIGNATURE.

WOW

Isn't the B1 better? 

Than?

Also, signature sizes larger than 14 are not allowed on the forum.

"Rawr XD"