Benchmarks of the Skylake i7 6700K have emerged... Only marginally faster than 4790K...

Overl0rd

This doesn't really make sense considering broadwell performs almost as good at stock 3.6 GHz as haswell does at 4.4. If skylake did nothing to improve over broadwell then it should still be nearly 17% better than haswell.

That's in some benchmarks with eDRAM, meaning the program had a fair amount of memory and code path reuse in close timing. Otherwise the cache doesn't help and can even hurt.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

a. gaming esp with 4k is incredibly CPU limited so it's going to be GPU upgrades for the next 2-3 yrs that really count

b. if intel wanted to release more powerful CPUs they would upgrade the mainstream i5 and i7 to 6 cores.  

That's in some benchmarks with eDRAM, meaning the program had a fair amount of memory and code path reuse in close timing. Otherwise the cache doesn't help and can even hurt.

I know, but even with the cache disabled broadwell is actually quite impressive considering it runs at 82% of the frequency the haswell refresh does. It wasn't an improvement on an absolute scale but still a pretty sizable one on a clock to clock setup. (Not that this is directly ipc).

With that in mind I doubt this very much given that even broadwell at 4.2 does better than this at cinebench.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Alright. I lost my faith in Skylake now. I going to get a Haswell CPU, and use a CPU that's 2 years old, because there's no reason for me not to. There hasn't been a significant improvemenet in CPU Performance since Sandy Bridge.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

So this is definately Bullshit. Look at maximum pc's broadwell overclocking results.

I7 5775c @ 4.2 (1.36V)

R15 one thread : 177

R15 Multithread : 887

Are you honestly going to try to tell me that skylake is worse clock for clock than broadwell?

From that same review...

I7 4790k at stock

R15 one thread: 173

R15 multithread: 832.

Hmmmm. Smells of shit all around.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Alright. I lost my faith in Skylake now. I going to get a Haswell CPU, and use a CPU that's 2 years old, because there's no reason for me not to. There hasn't been a significant improvemenet in CPU Performance since Sandy Bridge.

We have just over a month to wait and see how independent reviews come out. These early leaks are usually fake.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But at least the integrated graphics is a ton better by comparison. 

I would like to see graphics comparison between the 6700K and the 5775C.

Because the GPU-Z says it's broadwell, and I'm wondering if Intel improved it or not.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

We have just over a month to wait and see how independent reviews come out. These early leaks are usually fake.

See my comment above. This is basically impossible.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

See my comment above. This is basically impossible.

You a ninja?  :ph34r:

I would like to see graphics comparison between the 6700K and the 5775C.

Because the GPU-Z says it's broadwell, and I'm wondering if Intel improved it or not.

That's because the Skylake graphics engine is the Broadwell graphics engine with teaks, like a gen 8.5. Kaby Lake brings gen 9. Skylake with bring the GT4/.e SKUs too. 

You a ninja? :ph34r:

http://www.maximumpc.com/intel-broadwell-dt-core-i7-5775c-review/

Op should be updated with massive salt intake.

Also this is skylake with somehow ddr3 but so far we don't know anyone that's making a ddr3 z170 board.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So this is definately Bullshit. Look at maximum pc's broadwell overclocking results.

I7 5775c @ 4.2 (1.36V)

R15 one thread : 177

R15 Multithread : 887

Are you honestly going to try to tell me that skylake is worse clock for clock than broadwell?

From that same review...

I7 4790k at stock

R15 one thread: 173

R15 multithread: 832.

Hmmmm. Smells of shit all around.

NVM, I'm an idiot.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Ain't skylake supposed to support ddr3 and 4?? With specific memory type for some cpu? Or MB?

It's up to the motherboard makers, and most seem poised to just go DDR4 and make a clean break for all but the lowest end. In my humble opinion, "HALLELUJAH JESUS!" Intel has always been the first moving to a new system memory standard, but it has always done it with one foot on one end of the line and one foot on the other. The DDR2/3 transition was a nightmare with too many boards of terrible quality. Both MB makers and consumers suffered for that one.

Chinese technology website TechBang has just released this; benchmarks of the upcoming Skylake 6700K on a Z170 motherboard.

The benchmarks show that at stock speeds, the Skylake 14nm 6700K is only 30cb faster in Cinebench R15... yeah...

attachicon.gifSkylake%20CPU-z.png

attachicon.gifSkylake%20GPU-z.png

attachicon.gifSkylake%20CinebenchR15.jpg

http://www.techbang.com/posts/24629-skylake-intrudes-ecs-z170-claymore-motherboard-measured-experience?page=2

(might want to use Google Translate)

To be fair this increase comes at what appears to be 10MHz jump in clock speed. 

Furthermore, this is a DDR3 board (it remains to be seen if this is perhaps just CPUz not being up to date as it needs to be).  

Finally, this says nothing about how overclockable the chip is. 

Don't worry too much - hardware is likely not even final yet and there are tweaks to be made until the release date.  That being said, I don't recall the last time Intel magically got some extra performance from a software based update.  Unlike GPUs that can gain performance from driver and game updates, CPUs are bound by a more "basic" limit as they are computationally much less complex.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

While this looks fishy, i wonder if its remotely close to what we should expect? Intel promised IPC improvements, like going from prescott to conroe (thats 3x the IPC) but they never specified which skylake chips would have that kind of effect. They could have been comparing mobile broadwell to mobile skylake. Or even server-grade CPU's. If this is what Skylake truly has to offer, it is good news for Zen. Seeing as Zen is expected to catch up to Haswell, if Skylake is not much faster, and Zen offers 8 cores (16 threads) on a consumer chip at a fairly competitive price? Yeah, Zen should do just fine.

However, Those 8 cores (16 threads) wont do much for gamers. If anything, it wont make even the slightest difference. It will be great for content creators though, and that is where it will sell. Time to wait to see what Broadwell-E and Skylake-E has to offer, general consumer chips look boring to me. I really want to see those Skylake Xeons, those should be earth shattering.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The great thing about the current CPU market, is there aren't any good reasons to buy at launch. Performance increases are tiny and prices rarely change except for exchange rates, and later batches tend to overclock better. The current Vietnam "X" batches of Haswell are a great example of that. Even though Skylake is being marketed as the "next thing" by Intel, its clearly another stop gap to maintain market presence. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It's up to the motherboard makers, and most seem poised to just go DDR4 and make a clean break for all but the lowest end. In my humble opinion, "HALLELUJAH JESUS!" Intel has always been the first moving to a new system memory standard, but it has always done it with one foot on one end of the line and one foot on the other. The DDR2/3 transition was a nightmare with too many boards of terrible quality. Both MB makers and consumers suffered for that one.

I agree that we should be cautious (I will never EVER buy a 1st gen product like this).  However, I will play devil's advocate here and mention that the DDR2/3 transition was very different.  Nowadays Intel has taken it upon themselves to integrate the memory controller right into the die of the CPU which means that the motherboard no longer serves that purpose.  This is the same reason why we no longer have a variance in the chipset type.  

I think the transition will still be quite a bit smoother, but we are going to see the usual "budget" dimms from the various memory manufacturers and those are going to just be a total crapshoot until they figure out how to get yields to an acceptable level. Those budget dimms are going to in fact be binned at a much "looser" standard just from an economics standpoint. 

@TechBenchTV

While this looks fishy, i wonder if its remotely close to what we should expect? Intel promised IPC improvements, like going from prescott to conroe (thats 3x the IPC) but they never specified which skylake chips would have that kind of effect. They could have been comparing mobile broadwell to mobile skylake. Or even server-grade CPU's. If this is what Skylake truly has to offer, it is good news for Zen. Seeing as Zen is expected to catch up to Haswell, if Skylake is not much faster, and Zen offers 8 cores (16 threads) on a consumer chip at a fairly competitive price? Yeah, Zen should do just fine.

However, Those 8 cores (16 threads) wont do much for gamers. If anything, it wont make even the slightest difference. It will be great for content creators though, and that is where it will sell. Time to wait to see what Broadwell-E and Skylake-E has to offer, general consumer chips look boring to me. I really want to see those Skylake Xeons, those should be earth shattering.

No its complete and total Bullshit that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. See my posts on page 2 for details.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

no competition leads to what you see

skylake is a rip off i wouldnt even think about it unless iwas building a new PC

To be fair this increase comes at what appears to be 10MHz jump in clock speed. 

Furthermore, this is a DDR3 board (it remains to be seen if this is perhaps just CPUz not being up to date as it needs to be).  

Finally, this says nothing about how overclockable the chip is. 

Don't worry too much - hardware is likely not even final yet and there are tweaks to be made until the release date.  That being said, I don't recall the last time Intel magically got some extra performance from a software based update.  Unlike GPUs that can gain performance from driver and game updates, CPUs are bound by a more "basic" limit as they are computationally much less complex.

Um, if a software update was based on using a newer version of a compiler, CPU performance would be expected to improve even if the same instruction limits were in place to force legacy support. Furthermore, if a new code path arrived which used the better instructions of your newer generation CPU, then a performance improvement would also be expected. Software's more complicated than you think.

If the code ran on Java, C#, or another virtual language, an upgraded virtual machine with a better optimization engine could also make the software run faster. There's plenty of examples of how to improve CPU performance with software updates.

The great thing about the current CPU market, is there aren't any good reasons to buy at launch. Performance increases are tiny and prices rarely change except for exchange rates, and later batches tend to overclock better. The current Vietnam "X" batches of Haswell are a great example of that. Even though Skylake is being marketed as the "next thing" by Intel, its clearly another stop gap to maintain market presence. 

I agree with your general sentiment here, however I should say that I don't think it's a "stopgap" solution.  There will always be this transition simply because the dimm makers need the time to make the transition.  Even if Intel decided to go full stop into a new memory platform (as they did with the X99 chipset), they would need to transition and support the memory makers in some fashion.  

Intel will be looking forward after this as yields improve for ddr4 and the market is able to create better binned memory.  It's going to be bumpy kind of ride for early adopters, however I will say that Intel's strategy of integrating the memory controller on the die makes a ton of sense and will reduce the number of bogus boards out there.

@TechBenchTV

no competition leads to what you see

skylake is a rip off i wouldnt even think about it unless iwas building a new PC

This article is totally Bullshit all around. See page two with broadwell numbers.

Unless you actually believe skylake could be worse clock for clock than broadwell.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I suggest you just wait a couple weeks. You have to remember that Skylake is advancing the general platform. Its going to the be first mainstream CPU series (Thats affordable for regular consumers) to support DDR4.

Im actually kind of interested now in the 1151 mobos. 

EDIT: Offtop, but it also looks like DDR4 is dropping in price rapidly since May: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231829&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+Memory-_-N82E16820231829&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1hlTrmDXrd4ObcVitm_OnkUwgTranEbdFlV86bEkGaDAaAjwl8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

Um, if a software update was based on using a newer version of a compiler, CPU performance would be expected to improve even if the same instruction limits were in place to force legacy support. Furthermore, if a new code path arrived which used the better instructions of your newer generation CPU, then a performance improvement would also be expected. Software's more complicated than you think.

If the code ran on Java, C#, or another virtual language, an upgraded virtual machine with a better optimization engine could also make the software run faster. There's plenty of examples of how to improve CPU performance with software updates.

You are correct at the most basic level, however you're forgetting that software development is not this agile.  There are very few times where a piece of software in it's normal state would change compilers or languages.  Such monumental changes would require a rewrite in most cases and at which point it would be a new version completely. 

What I'm comparing is the GPU vs CPU ecosystem.  GPU's get both game updates and driver updates that fundamentally give you better performance with the same basic experience.  CPUs on the other hand rarely are given the same treatment and instead of performance increases from a low level functionality, they are given patches, or codebase changes that change the way the code performs rather than the way the code interacts with the hardware. 

@TechBenchTV