Holy sh*t how long has this been going on?

theereal

So lets get one thing straight i dont like COD at all, but i looked at the prices at gamestop.com cause there was a twitter post by gamestop about some zombie map with pre order or something, so i looked at the standard edition of the game 60USD and i though ok,ok, but THEN i looked at the season pass, 50 BUCKS? Some DLC packs cost almost as much as the game itself? Wow, people who buy this are gullible fools, then again i dont care what happens to COD, but i hope this standard isnt taken by the whole industry...

It's been happening ever since MW and BO

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

So lets get one thing straight i dont like COD at all, but i looked at the prices at gamestop.com cause there was a twitter post by gamestop about some zombie map with pre order or something, so i looked at the standard edition of the game 60USD and i though ok,ok, but THEN i looked at the season pass, 50 BUCKS? Some DLC packs cost almost as much as the game itself? Wow, people who buy this are gullible fools, then again i dont care what happens to COD, but i hope this standard isnt taken by the whole industry...

They have been doing this since forever and other games are doing it too now :P

By the way, at least with Black Ops 1 and 2 the DLC packs were quite worth it because the zombies is just so very fun and you can put a lot of time into it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's been going on in other games too. FarCry 4 had an expensive season pass I think. 

A lot of games are starting to do it as well. The only one that I think actually offers some value is BF4 Premium, as it gives you access to a hell of a lot of stuff, as well as all the DLCs. 

It's been going on in other games too. FarCry 4 had an expensive season pass I think. 

A lot of games are starting to do it as well. The only one that I think actually offers some value is BF4 Premium, as it gives you access to a hell of a lot of stuff, as well as all the DLCs. 

They have been doing this since forever and other games are doing it too now :P

By the way, at least with Black Ops 1 and 2 the DLC packs were quite worth it because the zombies is just so very fun and you can put a lot of time into it

It's been happening ever since MW and BO

Atleast some of the games that i play dont do this, hopefully they wont, this means they are charging 110USD for the full game.

Why are you surprised by that? That is pretty standard for games. Even Battlefield does that pricing.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Atleast some of the games that i play dont do this, hopefully they wont, this means they are charging 110USD for the full game.

Skyrim Legendary Edition is 30 EUR.

Skyrim base: 15 Eur

Hearthfire: 5 Eur

Dragonborn: 20 EUR

Dawnguard: 20 EUR

This still confuses he hell out of me and pisses me off at the same time. I got the base game as a physical copy hoping the DLCs would be cheaper...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

This still confuses he hell out of me and pisses me off at the same time. I got the base game as a physical copy hoping the DLCs would be cheaper...

The DLC's are not even worth that price.

I got Skyrim on PS3 for 33 euros or something.. 

And later got Legendary on PC for 15 euros.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sells more units.

Most people would buy just the base game but if all the DLC in the legendary edition is only 15 EUR more, why not?

It's all about them making you think what they want you to think with marketing.

Not to mention they wiped their arses on the AW port for pc, glad I bought the game for half the price from a key reseller but it still wasn't worth it.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Not to mention they wiped their arses on the AW port for pc, glad I bought the game for half the price from a key reseller but it still wasn't worth it.

The AW PC port was actually alright, compared to older CoD PC ports (mainly Ghosts, MW3 and BO1 were pretty bad with the ports)

Companies need to make money somehow. Game prices have been fairly stagnant (at least far less than inflation) for 20 years or more, the production and service costs have sky rocketed, it's only offset by greater sales volumes. At some point the increasing sales volumes no longer accommodates the required ROI and companies are forced to either increase prices (which the consumer is fairly resistant over) or develop other ways to make income from their titles. Some of these strategies include in-app purchases and DLC. The reason why you see many re-skinned games as well is to reduce production costs in the same manner.

So basically those gullible fools allow games to remain relatively inexpensive and basically subsidize the purchase you make for the core game. Besides, it's personal preference.

-snip-

Well that doesn't make sense. They would offer a discount for bundling it as a way to generate more revenue. This is pretty much the same in every product market. Basically it offers a perceived "value".

In the UK Batman Arkham Knight was £29.99 while the Seasons Pass was £34.99 at most stores (on Steam the game was £39.99)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Before the internet was fast/common enough they were called expansion packs ;)

EA does the same "scummy" thing with their games Standard Edition ,Digital Deluxe Edition,Ultimate Edition ,Premium Edition etc. These companies know how to exploit their customers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

A lot of developers have been doing this. EA is the main one.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub