Help Me My New Build Will Not Boot

zolo30

Ok I built a new computer today for a buddy and when I turn on the rig it just powers up and turns off. All the cables seem to be plugged in. I have a large enough PSU. I am not sure what is going on. Anyone have ideas where to start loooking?

Ok I built a new computer today for a buddy and when I turn on the rig it just powers up and turns off. All the cables seem to be plugged in. I have a large enough PSU. I am not sure what is going on. Anyone have ideas where to start loooking?

Both the 8 pin power and the 20 pin are plugged in, right? That happened to me. I didn't plug in the 8 pin power connector so it would start up for a second and then shut down so I would suggest looking there.

Both the 8 pin power and the 20 pin are plugged in, right? That happened to me. I didn't plug in the 8 pin power connector so it would start up for a second and then shut down so I would suggest looking there.

When you say 8 pin do you mean the CPU power? because on the matx board it is only a 4 pin. Or am I mistaken?

look for the 8 and 20 pin connectors and verify

When you say 8 pin do you mean the CPU power? because on the matx board it is only a 4 pin. Or am I mistaken?

Yes, thats ok, verify that it is plugged in, then, check that the CPU doesn't have any bent pins

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

No. It's a 8 pin. There's an 8 pin connector on the top left of the board where you should be able to plug it in. Make sure you have something plugged into that socket.

Edit: I was wrong. It's a 4 pin. I checked your motherboard.

No. It's a 8 pin. There's an 8 pin connector on the top left of the board where you should be able to plug it in. Make sure you have something plugged into that socket.

this board only has 4 pins though 

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

It is actually a 4 pin on this board

this board only has 4 pins though 

You guys saw the part where I edited right? The post you both quoted have me correcting myself lol

Your PSU is modular so make sure the cables are plugged into your PSU correctly.

Is the heatsink properly attached? I've noticed when heatsinks disconnect the computer will turn on then shut off after a few seconds due to overheating. I'll try to think of other problems that could be causing it after I post this.

Check for bent pins in your cpu

im going to go cry now

Ikr the H100i and 16GB of RAM my god just get 8GB and a 212 EVO so that you can get an i5 for god's sake.

That motherboard is going to turn into a silicon smoothie.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Check for bent pins in your cpu

looks good no bent pins

Ikr the H100i and 16GB of RAM my god just get 8GB and a 212 EVO so that you can get an i5 for god's sake.

im going to go cry now

I am sure both of you are experts on building computers but since you didn't know most of these parts were sitting around my house new I sold them to my friend at a discount. And honestly a pop tart passes for a CPU for what this guy is doing which is gaming..... 16GB of RAM is nice to have when you need it and yeah thanks for your opinions

That motherboard is going to turn into a silicon smoothie.

Probably not but damn now I want a milkshake

I am sure both of you are experts on building computers but since you didn't know most of these parts were sitting around my house new I sold them to my friend at a discount. And honestly a pop tart passes for a CPU for what this guy is doing which is gaming..... 16GB of RAM is nice to have when you need it and yeah thanks for your opinions

God No, you so wrong.

Having a FX cpu in your house is a sin in of itself, and you paired one of the worst FX cpus in history with a 970, oh gawd have mercy on that bottleneck.

God No

Having a FX cpu in your house is a sin in of itself, and you paired one of the worst FX cpus in history with a 970, oh gawd have mercy on that bottleneck.

Man so right expert so right

Is the heatsink properly attached? I've noticed when heatsinks disconnect the computer will turn on then shut off after a few seconds due to overheating. I'll try to think of other problems that could be causing it after I post this.

The CPU will not immediately overheat. My FX-8320 (which I got for a bargain out of a gaming computer I bought for $100) will not automatically shut itself off. I measured the temperature of the heatspreader as I turned the PC on and it takes at leas 15 seconds for it to get to 160 degrees. Unlike Intel, AMD CPU's will not really turn themselves off due to overheating. I have heard of those chips getting anywhere up to 220 degrees before it just finally starts destroying itself. 

Man so right expert so right

Please ignore him, he's as dense as a damp steak, and as we all know you can't educate beef. :P

Okay I have a theory.

The PC gods looked down at the abomination of a gaming rig you built and said "aw hell no" and destroyed your CPU before it had a chance to live.

If you're not going to help then for the love of all that is holy will you stfu and go find something else better to do.

Back on topic.

@zolo30

Can you check to see if the GPU power cables are correctly plugged in? And while you're at it could you check to see if all the other power cables are correctly seated please? If they are, then can you try booting the system outside of the case on a cardboard box to see if it's shorting against the case, if it boots normally then you should check the layout of the motherboard standoffs.

Check also to make sure that there isn't any thermal paste on the CPU pins or that the CPU is inserted the correct way round, and also check for bent or broken pins too, they're fragile and can break easily, and with it being a CPU you already had then I would guess that it is damaged in some way.

That system is fine btw, it's a little bit slow, but hell, if all your friend does is game then it'll be fine.

Also, where the hell did all these morons pop up from all of a sudden? This is the 3rd thread in as many days that I've seen where every reply is from some idiot being deliberately unhelpful and obtuse, I sincerely apologise for the amount of guff crawling out of the woodwork recently, it's usually better than this. :(

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Please ignore him, he's as dense as a damp steak, and as we all know you can't educate beef. :P

If you're not going to help then for the love of all that is holy will you stfu and go find something else better to do.

Back on topic.

@zolo30

Can you check to see if the GPU power cables are correctly plugged in? And while you're at it could you check to see if all the other power cables are correctly seated please? If they are, then can you try booting the system outside of the case on a cardboard box to see if it's shorting against the case, if it boots normally then you should check the layout of the motherboard standoffs.

Check also to make sure that there isn't any thermal paste on the CPU pins or that the CPU is inserted the correct way round, and also check for bent or broken pins too, they're fragile and can break easily, and with it being a CPU you already had then I would guess that it is damaged in some way.

That system is fine btw, it's a little bit slow, but hell, if all your friend does is game then it'll be fine.

Also, where the hell did all these morons pop up from all of a sudden? This is the 3rd thread in as many days that I've seen where every reply is from some idiot being deliberately unhelpful and obtuse, I sincerely apologise for the amount of guff crawling out of the woodwork recently, it's usually better than this. :(

First off thank you for being like me.....sensible, smart, and educated. I have built several computers and I know my customers needs these turdburglers are just trolls who are inexperienced with multiple pieces of hardware. 

I checked all the cables and it works now. But in the process of just being straight pissed I convinced my friend that he should buy my 4670k(and of course I got him a better MOBO at a discount.) and I went and bought a 4790k at microcenter. woot woot! 

The computer runs great all games at 1080p at 60FPS+ like I knew they would be and there is no complications

Thank you for all the people that gave helpful advice I look to this forum for such guidance....and for those who are trolls well trolls keep on trolling and I will keep making fun of you. :-)