Best keyboard for gaming AND typing?

newjanson
Go to solution Solved by LurzKesh1138,

AFAIK, all Cherry switches and those modeled on Cherry switches all have a few millimeter gap from where they activate to when they bottom out, so I don't think your'e going to be able to avoid that. With that being said though, try out some Red switches, they don't have that bump that the Razer switches have, which I like, and its also pretty good for typing.

Suggestion 1 - Corsair K70 - These have been around for a while and come in solid colors or RGB lighting. (I have one, its excellent).

Suggestion 2 - Logitech G710+ - I've tried one out before, they're fast typers, I don't know how they'd be for gaming though. 

I'm planning on buying my first mechanical keyboard. I tried the blackwidow and first I liked it but after a while I realized how after the switch activates there's still a room and I can press it further and it got real annoying. I like the RGB lights too. Do you guys have any suggestions? Maybe a backlit choice and a non backlit one?

I'm planning on buying my first mechanical keyboard. I tried the blackwidow and first I liked it but after a while I realized how after the switch activates there's still a room and I can press it further and it got real annoying. I like the RGB lights too. Do you guys have any suggestions? Maybe a backlit choice and a non backlit one?

i'd say cherry mx browns are the best for gaming and typing.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

but which keyboard though?

yes this is good so maybe this

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-k70-fully-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-brown

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

AFAIK, all Cherry switches and those modeled on Cherry switches all have a few millimeter gap from where they activate to when they bottom out, so I don't think your'e going to be able to avoid that. With that being said though, try out some Red switches, they don't have that bump that the Razer switches have, which I like, and its also pretty good for typing.

Suggestion 1 - Corsair K70 - These have been around for a while and come in solid colors or RGB lighting. (I have one, its excellent).

Suggestion 2 - Logitech G710+ - I've tried one out before, they're fast typers, I don't know how they'd be for gaming though. 

For rgb corsair is pretty goood, im not very good at typing with red keys so i don't recommend them for typing.

Thank you I'll check out the K70 RGB's at my local store and choose between the Brown or Red switches.

I have a razer blackwidow 2014

but I'd recommend the logitech 710 plus or the corsair k70, you can decide if you want the rgb or not, I can say I used it for the first month and after just left it at the bleakest preset

MX brown

also add o-rings if you dont want it to go much further down after activation

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

but which keyboard though?

LED-

Logitech G710+

Corsair K70 RGB

Non-LED-

Ducky DK2108

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

OK, I wish I got to this thread sooner.

No switch is "made for" gaming or "made for" typing. That is the wrong mentality to have. It's for what you like typing on. Check out the link in my sig for info on switches because having that mentality may get you a switch you don't care for. You may not like browns or reds because you find them too light. Maybe Clears or Greens are for you.

So all in all, before buying the Corsair keyboard because people parroted each other, check with me or @TheFlurryGames as we can both help you out :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

OK, I wish I got to this thread sooner.

No switch is "made for" gaming or "made for" typing. That is the wrong mentality to have. It's for what you like typing on. Check out the link in my sig for info on switches because having that mentality may get you a switch you don't care for. You may not like browns or reds because you find them too light. Maybe Clears or Greens are for you.

So all in all, before buying the Corsair keyboard because people parroted each other, check with me or @TheFlurryGames as we can both help you out :)

Yeah, what he said.  Make sure you take the awesome quiz!  Tell us what you get so we can help you further!  In some cases you can't get a keyboard because of the switch you want such as the K70 RGB as it only comes in MX Browns or MX Reds.

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

O-Rings

Mechanical keyboards produce more noise than standard keyboards. The first sound is at actuation (click) and the second sound is from the keycap bottoming out (clack).

If you pick a 'click' switch (Blue Green White) you can only reduce noise from the clack as the keycap hits bottom.

Picking a linear (Red Black) or tactile (Brown Clear) switch will avoid actuation (click) noise. These switches will still produce noise from the keycap striking the base.

O-Rings provide a decrease in the clack from a mechanical keyboard. Very few mechanical keyboards have them pre-installed.        

These are the o-ring dimensions recommended for most of the mechanical keyboards on the market.        

Outside Diameter: 8mm /0.32"

Inside diameter: 5mm /0.19"

Thickness: 1.5mm/0.06"

If you are willing to wait on shipping, you can get the O-rings for cheap here from ebay, banggood, or aliexpress. Search for "150pcs White Keycap Rubber O-Ring Switch Dampeners For Cherry MX" and confirm the 1.5mm thickness and you're good. You can pick them up in 8 days from Hong Kong for $2 + $2 eparcel upgrade. On some keyboards the clear O-Ring's allow more LED light to reach the keycap.

If you increase the thickness of the O-Ring too much you may block the actuation point.  Most actuation points are at 2mm of 4mm total travel.

Silicone rings work fine. If you have higher demands from your keyboard, EPDM rubber has a better resistance to cracking and tearing than nitrile or silicon rubber.