Reddit CEO apologizes after petition for her to step down reaches 200,000

qcOUo6C.jpg?1

Ellen Pao, Reddit CEO apologized for not being in touch with the community and other things in a Reddit post yesterday, after a petition for her to step down as CEO reached 200,000 supporters.

The main thing people are giving her a lot of s**t about is last week when Victoria Taylor, the AMA "main facilitator" got fired which ended up with major sub-reddits like /r/art, /r/gaming and many more shutting down in protest. Users are even calling her "a cunt with a punchable face" and associating her with the Nazi flag.

We screwed up. Not just on July 2 (When they fired Victoria), but also over the past several years. We haven’t communicated well, and we have surprised moderators and the community with big changes. We have apologized and made promises to you, the moderators and the community, over many years, but time and again, we haven’t delivered on them. 

[...]

I know these are just words, and it may be hard for you to believe us. I don't have all the answers, and it will take time for us to deliver concrete results. I mean it when I say we screwed up, and we want to have a meaningful ongoing discussion. I know we've drifted out of touch with the community as we've grown and added more people, and we want to connect more. I and the team are committed to talking more often with the community, starting now.

Sources:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ellen-pao-apologizes-to-reddit-2015-7

http://gawker.com/reddit-in-chaos-after-allegedly-firing-ama-coordinator-1715556970

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/6/8900707/reddit-blackout-news-algorithm-victoria-taylor-ellen-pao

Edit: Got ninja posted, original post: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/402768-reddit-ceo-admits-we-screwed-up/

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

I don't get why people are so mad over the firing. Even if the fired person doesn't deserve it, it happens all the time. Even if it disrupts goings on with their subreddit, bummer. But this level of outrage, I don't get.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

-SNIP-

She is one ugly bitch duckling. Just sayn.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

I don't get why people are so mad over the firing. Even if the fired person doesn't deserve it, it happens all the time. Even if it disrupts goings on with their subreddit, bummer. But this level of outrage, I don't get.

Its not just about Victoria being fired. There are more issues than that.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Like what? The removal of the fat shaming subreddit? Because when I first heard about the outrage over that I was surprised as well.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Well I mean, she does have a quite punchable face....

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Like what?

Quote from the Petition Page:

Ellen K. Pao is a lawyer and the Chief Executive Officer of the Internet company Reddit Inc. She was appointed interim CEO of Reddit Inc in November 2014 and Reddit entered into a new age of censorship. Pao lost her gender discrimination case against venture capital firm, Kleiner Perkins, on March 27, 2015. A vast majority of the Reddit community believes that Pao, "a manipulative individual who will sue her way to the top", has overstepped her boundaries and fears that she will run Reddit into the ground. Alternative sites to Reddit.com have sprung up and have received vast amounts of traffic within the recent months.

The communication between the Reddit administration team to its subreddit moderators is very lacking and rather unsettling after years of empty promises to the moderators to improve and provide tools to help run subreddits, and ultimately Reddit as a whole, smoothly.

Advance Publications needs to fix this ordeal or risk irreversible harm to their international brand, Reddit Inc.

Action must be taken to prevent Reddit from being further run into the ground.

Some more insight and info here in her apology and also some of the top comments bring light to issues too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3cbo4m/we_apologize/

Essentially Reddit has been progressively becoming worse since she became the CEO, the Victoria situation basically tipped the community past the point of "we arent going to let you ruin this site anymore"

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Some more insight and info here in her apology and also some of the top comments bring light to issues too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3cbo4m/we_apologize/

Essentially Reddit has been progressively becoming worse since she became the CEO, the Victoria situation basically tipped the community past the point of "we arent going to let you ruin this site anymore"

Oh, ok. I thought she was Reddit's CEO from day one. I see.

This.

She is one ugly bitch duckling. Just sayn.

She's Chinese, what do you expect? Generally speaking - Asian girls aren't known to be curvy/good looking. Plus, I've never met a Chinese person with an amazing personality. Most of them are driven by greed!

It's ingrained in her commie DNA. For Pao, it's clearly about power and control. Reddit has a dictator, not a ceo.

So yeah, for those of you that think the Chinese are nice people. Maybe you should watch vices episode called Love & Rockets (Ep4:season1) and you'll realize all they care about is money.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

This.

She's Chinese, what do you expect? Generally speaking - Asian girls aren't known to be curvy/good looking. Plus, I've never met a Chinese person with an amazing personality. Most of them are driven by greed!

It's ingrained in her commie DNA. For Pao, it's clearly about power and control. Reddit has a dictator, not a ceo.

So yeah, for those of you that think the Chinese are nice people. Maybe you should watch vices episode called Love & Rockets (Ep4:season1) and you'll realize all they care about is money.

-Snip-

Stereotype much? If she wanted to be rich, I'm not sure being Reddit CEO is that lucrative...

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

This.

I can agree with you about Chinese woman being driven by greed.....I see it myself since I am somehow always surrounded by Chinese and I am Chinese myself....

Most of them don't exactly have the best personality....most of the time they tend to use people to their own benefits. 

Stereotype much? If she wanted to be rich, I'm not sure being Reddit CEO is that lucrative...

Hah, Elucid is on my blocked list over his BS on the audio subsection. Nice to see he's discriminating against Chinese people as well.

My parents are part Chinese - so you can imagine how I feel about his stupid generalization. For something crazy like this - I guess my only answer would be to say "No" and walk away. That's what I'm gonna do.

God, I hate LTT sometimes.

Yes, I did come off a bit harsh. However, I do have a couple Chinese friends who agree/share my opinions.

Watch the video and prove me wrong.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8