Confused with watts

PrimeExE

So this is gonna be my first build and right now im running a benq monitor, razer ouroborus, a usb hub with about 2 connections and a razer deathstalker ultimate on an asus k55n but i was thinking of starting to use the laptop for school and just building a desktop for gaming only since my laptop isnt really a gaming one. So i started to save up and ive been watching linus's youtube videos for a while since i always wanted to make a pc build so since i reached around $1k USD now and i knew about linus's video for the 4k build he did for about $1k. So that was my base and i just researched a bit and found out whats better and what i could use for gaming it doesnt really have to be 4k and what i ended up with was the Msi Atx 970 gaming motherboard, the amd FX-6350 6-core Black edition, kingston hyperX fury 8gb (2x4gb), nzxt kraken x61 280mm, 1tb wd blue, 240gb of kingston digital, the msi r9 380 gaming 4g graphics and the nzxt noctis 450 mid tower case and i think i could just buy a corsair cx 430 watt 80+ certified power supply but im not sure because pc part picker confused me and i only got around 200 something out of it but i dont think thats right because i didnt put in the graphics card or any of that so if anyone could help me out that would be great and if possible if you could give me a good one not too expensive and atleast semi modular. Thank you ahead of time.

NO... NO CX PSUs. EVER.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 23:54 EDT-0400

Do yourself a favor and go i5 and not 6350 (much better single core performance, which is more important for horribly optimized games)...

You can cheap out a bit on the mobo and get a Z97 PC Mate...

as for the PSU nothing below 450W 80+ Bronze...

I'll let the others make a PCPP list for you...

Do yourself a favor and go i5 and not 6350 (much better single core performance, which is more important for horribly optimized games)...

You can cheap out a bit on the mobo and get a Z97 PC Mate...

as for the PSU nothing below 450W 80+ Bronze...

I'll let the others make a PCPP list for you...

The thing is I want not just the features but this is gonna be a build i might not change for a while so I also want it to look good and since most is red I want a motherboard that is good and has the red accents to it.

NO... NO CX PSUs. EVER.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $69.99

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 23:54 EDT-0400

As I've stated in another thread, this is noticeably better, for quite a bit cheaper. If you know enough that CX PSUs are crap, you should know that Seasonic rebrands are cheaper and get you a better product. In this case you get a Seasonic G instead of an M12II, 30W more, hybrid fan mode, and epic EVGA warranty... for $15 less.

Also good lord the screen tearing in your profile pic

"Rawr XD"

The thing is I want not just the features but this is gonna be a build i might not change for a while so I also want it to look good and since most is red I want a motherboard that is good and has the red accents to it.

Just so you know, if you go for an AMD CPU then it is definitely a build that you won't be changing period.  Any upgrades from what you have will be limited to accessories and the GPU.

I know you want a particular look, but if you are not careful you'll end up spending a $1000 on looks while only getting $400 worth of performance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So this is gonna be my first build and right now im running a benq monitor, razer ouroborus, a usb hub with about 2 connections and a razer deathstalker ultimate on an asus k55n but i was thinking of starting to use the laptop for school and just building a desktop for gaming only since my laptop isnt really a gaming one. So i started to save up and ive been watching linus's youtube videos for a while since i always wanted to make a pc build so since i reached around $1k USD now and i knew about linus's video for the 4k build he did for about $1k. So that was my base and i just researched a bit and found out whats better and what i could use for gaming it doesnt really have to be 4k and what i ended up with was the Msi Atx 970 gaming motherboard, the amd FX-6350 6-core Black edition, kingston hyperX fury 8gb (2x4gb), nzxt kraken x61 280mm, 1tb wd blue, 240gb of kingston digital, the msi r9 380 gaming 4g graphics and the nzxt noctis 450 mid tower case and i think i could just buy a corsair cx 430 watt 80+ certified power supply but im not sure because pc part picker confused me and i only got around 200 something out of it but i dont think thats right because i didnt put in the graphics card or any of that so if anyone could help me out that would be great and if possible if you could give me a good one not too expensive and atleast semi modular. Thank you ahead of time.

you will be limited with your fx 6300 as it has no upgrade path, also the r9 380 is a rebrand of the 285 so if ther budget allows i would go for a 280x or something similar and you wil get more performance, also why da hell are you going with a 380 and a fx 6300 then a kraken x61 ? that is the most overkill thing i have ever seen on a budget build, save on the cpu cooler and get a cheaper aio of air cooler and put that extra money into a better cpu and gpu, there no point in having a cpu cooler that is almost more money then your cpu.  https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ heres a build that is the same price but way more performance 

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Would the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer Atx Motherboard be overkill or something or should i just go for a cheaper one, because i decided to just use intel for the cpu instead now so what i have so far is, intel core i5-460k, 2 kingston hyperX fury red (2x4), 1tb of cavier blue hdd, 240g of kingston ssd, the same nzxt case, msi radeon r9 280x and then im wondering about the motherboard above and the power supply ill just pick at the end.

Would the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer Atx Motherboard be overkill or something or should i just go for a cheaper one, because i decided to just use intel for the cpu instead now so what i have so far is, intel core i5-460k, 2 kingston hyperX fury red (2x4), 1tb of cavier blue hdd, 240g of kingston ssd, the same nzxt case, msi radeon r9 280x and then im wondering about the motherboard above and the power supply ill just pick at the end.

If you go the AMD route, the CPU will hold you back, and I can 90%+ guarantee you will have to upgrade the CPU + motherboard within a year or two after your system is built.

The CPU is a i5-4690K.

If you go with the unlocked "K" CPU we are assuming that you WILL overclock the CPU later on, hence; the suggestion of a Z97 motherboard.

If the ASUS Z97 is out of your price range, here are a few great alternatives (considering your red and black colour scheme):

• Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
  • MSi Z97-G46 Gaming
  • MSi Z97-Gaming 3

As for the graphics card, the R9-280X / GTX 960 level will get your near-max settings in many of the latest AAA games. I would suggest that you go up a level, if money allows, and get one of the following:

• GTX 970
  • R9-290(X) / R9-390(X)
  • R9-Nano (available soon)

It is recommended to purchase a quality power supply in the 500W ~ 550W range for a single-GPU configuration. Even though your system will realistically draw anywhere from 200W ~ 350W, if it suggested to use a slightly higher than needed power supply to provide some overhead.

• The PSU will run more efficient when operating in the 40%-80% range; it is best not to have run at 100% at all times
  • The PSU will not need to operate at higher RPM's to keep itself cool, creating more noise
  • The PSU's internal electrical components will degrade overtime, as a result, it eventually will not be capable of outputting the advertised rate power as the unit ages
  • Extra power available for future expansions (i.e. additional HDD, case fans, etc), and overclocking

If you have no intentions to overclock, you could save some money, by using a H97-based motherboard, and a "non-K" equivalent CPU.

Motherboard:

• AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance (there is quite a bit of red on this board)
  • AsRock Fatal1ty H97 KIller
  • ASUS H97-PRO Gamer
  • Gigabyte G1.Sniper H6
  • MSi H97 Gaming 3

Processor:

• i5-4460
  • i5-4590
  • i5-4690 (non-K)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>