Why Linus is using 128GB RAM in his "New INSANE Rendering Machine" while RAM usage is less than 20GB?

Go to solution Solved by Bsmith,

if im not mistaken the idea behind the rendering machine is to ahve it output multiple files all day through, the ram usage we saw was from only a single user, imagine how it looks like when 3 or more people are working on projects at the same time.

Why Linus is using 128GB RAM in his "New INSANE Rendering Machine" while RAM usage is less than 20GB?

Because hes an egoistic bastard and not giving me 8gb more  :(  :(  :(

/ironie off

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Because it was a money is no object kind of build.

Also, would be pretty amazing to store files on the ram, rather than a ssd. 

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

This is true :)

You will also need 64gb for Chrome.

Ive pushed 24 gb in chrome once... I closed nearly 90 tabs after I found that out.....

Also he was given the 128gb set by Corsair (or am I thinking of a different rig). Why the hell not?

Ive pushed 24 gb in chrome once... I closed nearly 90 tabs after I found that out.....

Also he was given the 128gb set by Corsair (or am I thinking of a different rig). Why the hell not?

He was given 128gb of DDR4 by corsair but it was a different set of ram used in the render machine.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

It's Linus. We are talking about the guy who owns 15 lambos but doesn't drive them just to prove social media wrong.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Corsair offered him a free sample of the 128gb kit, I mean if they were to give any of the forum members one who had compatible hardware to function with the memory then why not?