True story about my SSD

Enderman

So my PSU, motherboard, and 3 hard drives died together.

None of the hard drives spin up or show in the BIOS or disk management

But my SSD survived!

Pretty sure the cause for the power surge was the PSU, but for some reason my SSD was not affected.

All devices were plugged in at the time the PSU blew.

Now you know...use SSDs if you want to keep your data safer! Seems like they are more resistant to power surges :)

Are there any hard drives that have some sort of surge protection to prevent this from happening to the future? Because I lost a lot of money in hard drives...

I just lost 1.5TB of minecraft videos, but at least almost everything is on my channel, so thats good...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1.5tb of mc videos....

He's called enderman for a reason.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Now what shitty psu caused that?

AX860i

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

AX860i

Will you be able to rma your board and hdd because of that power surge caused by the psu? If not then I feel sorry for you man

Will you be able to rma your board and hdd because of that power surge caused by the psu? If not then I feel sorry for you man

It was a modded PSU so Im afraid not :(

The mod didn't cause this, but you know, warranty rules n stuff...

Spoiler

How did you even manage that...

no idea

I never expected such a high end PSU to die like that, it was only a year old

it could possibly have been the motherboard, which was 5 years old, but I dont see how that would have made the PSU die instantly

supposedly the AX PSUs have short circuit protection

Spoiler

It was a modded PSU so Im afraid not :(

The mod didn't cause this, but you know, warranty rules n stuff...

Well tough luck then. Should have bought a prebuilt with extended warranty. /jk

I recommend backing your data up in the future.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

I recommend backing your data up in the future.

it was backed up

on a hard drive

which died...

but from now on im going to back up to something NOT always connected to the PC :)

Spoiler

People love Corsair but there is a reason I keep going with other brands.  Sorry Enderman for your loss.  :S

I feel the same...

Seasonic PSU now :)

Spoiler

no idea

I never expected such a high end PSU to die like that, it was only a year old

it could possibly have been the motherboard, which was 5 years old, but I dont see how that would have made the PSU die instantly

supposedly the AX PSUs have short circuit protection

It has 7 years of warranty, you can tell them it killed 3 hard drives and a motherboard too!

You might get more than just the PSU back...

It has 7 years of warranty, you can tell them it killed 3 hard drives and a motherboard too!

You might get more than just the PSU back...

Except the "warranty void if removed" sticker which I removed a while ago

Spoiler

Except the "warranty void if removed" sticker which I removed a while ago

Yes that's not going to help you much then ;)

why?

Yes that's not going to help you much then ;)

why?

I changed the horrible stock fan to something much quieter

I thought since this was a high quality PSU I would not have any issues for a long time, so voiding the warranty would make no difference

I've never had a PC component fail like this ever, definitely was not expecting it after $300 for a top-of-the-line PSU

Oh well, I know better now

Got all my important files back from my SSD, and some newer parts as an upgrade

That reminds me I need to update my profile and signature now :P

Spoiler

I changed the horrible stock fan to something much quieter

I thought since this was a high quality PSU I would not have any issues for a long time, so voiding the warranty would make no difference

I've never had a PC component fail like this ever, definitely was not expecting it after $300 for a top-of-the-line PSU

Oh well, I know better now

Got all my important files back from my SSD, and some newer parts as an upgrade

That reminds me I need to update my profile and signature now :P

Just unlucky.

(The data is still on your harddrives, it's probably only the HDD chip that got killed, meaning you could technically buy a new HDD (of the same brand/type) and replace the chip to get your data back just theories)

it was backed up

on a hard drive

which died...

but from now on im going to back up to something NOT always connected to the PC :)

Sounds good. Was your backup drive an internal drive?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Sounds good. Was your backup drive an internal drive?

yeah

not gonna do that any more...

the thing is that my backup drive was only for my SSD

I didnt have anything backing up my video HDD

so even if my backup drive survived I would have lost my videos anyway

not gonna pay $100+ for data recovery, but now Ive learnt my lesson :D

Spoiler

Wow, sorry to hear that!

Fancy and expensive motherboard, looks really nice!

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

Wow, sorry to hear that!

Fancy and expensive motherboard, looks really nice!

Thanks  ^_^

Spoiler

Thanks  ^_^

No problem.

I'm getting a backup server for file storage so that will help.

Are there other preventative measure that can be taken?

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

No problem.

I'm getting a backup server for file storage so that will help.

Are there other preventative measure that can be taken?

UPS for power loss protection?

There's nothing really you can do to prevent a PSU failure other than buying a good quality one...and even then look what happened to mine

server PSUs I think have a longer lifetime though, theyre made for 24/7 use at 100% so they should be safer than normal consumer PSUs

Spoiler