Windows 10 will be "rolling out in waves", not everyone will get it on launch date

Bouzoo

<snip>

This was to be expected. Can anyone actually think that MS would be able to mass update how many thousands- millions of pcs at once? Really this was to be expected. This is why they put out the reservation button, you get your update according to when you pressed the button. First come first served.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I can live. Windows 8.1 is 99% of windows 10 anyway and I can't really take advantage of dx12 yet anyway.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Pretty sure you can't do that, as you don't get a key. You "format" via windows reset.

Yes you can and yes you do. I asked MS directly and was told during the upgrade your key is converted to a Win 10 key. Once you've upgraded you use a third party key retrieval utility to get your 10 key and from there you can clean install as normal.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is probably a very good idea so servers don't overload. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This was to be expected. Can anyone actually think that MS would be able to mass update how many thousands- millions of pcs at once? Really this was to be expected. This is why they put out the reservation button, you get your update according to when you pressed the button. First come first served.

Well I don't know if MS (or who ever has the servers) has the ability to put them for dl all at the same time, but I can see why they would do this. And that first come first serve, not sure about that because people on this forum got it hours and hours before me, and I got it hours before my gf. I'm not complaining, just saying I'm not sure it will only work like that, maybe region per region on something.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well I don't know if MS (or who ever has the servers) has the ability to put them for dl all at the same time, but I can see why they would do this. And that first come first serve, not sure about that because people on this forum got it hours and hours before me, and I got it hours before my gf. I'm not complaining, just saying I'm not sure it will only work like that, maybe region per region on something.

We will see come July 29th.

Hard to say though but that was the theory I came up with based on the logic presented at the time. Oh well.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It just make sense for it to be available in waves. Imagine how much traffic it's gonna be if say x-million pcs download the update at the same time.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

This has probably already posted somewhere but I dunno, I R Z Lazy.

I have a valid (legitimate) Windows 8.1 Enterprise installation at home. I have not yet seen the little icon in my toolbar, is the free upgrade not going to be rolled out to Enterprise automatically or am I doing something wrong or...? (I am logged in with my windows live account by the way) 

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Yes you can and yes you do. I asked MS directly and was told during the upgrade your key is converted to a Win 10 key. Once you've upgraded you use a third party key retrieval utility to get your 10 key and from there you can clean install as normal.

I really hope that's the case. That was not how the Windows 8 to 8.1 update worked. It would make everything so much easier though.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I really hope that's the case. That was not how the Windows 8 to 8.1 update worked. It would make everything so much easier though.

Well its almost confirmed, I'm saying almost as I've been told by a Trusted Advisor on the Windows 10 Official Q&A boards. He's not an MS employee but he's Trusted by MS to answer questions. Gimme a few mins and I'll post the link for you.

Here ya go - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-windows-7-81-users-get-a-win-10-install-key/f4c5fe3c-2291-4db5-a8a2-021f0cf5af34

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well its almost confirmed, I'm saying almost as I've been told by a Trusted Advisor on the Windows 10 Official Q&A boards. He's not an MS employee but he's Trusted by MS to answer questions. Gimme a few mins and I'll post the link for you.

Here ya go - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-windows-7-81-users-get-a-win-10-install-key/f4c5fe3c-2291-4db5-a8a2-021f0cf5af34

Interesting. It's just that Microsoft has said the opposite before. But then again, it's not even out yet, so lots of things can change. I hope it's pre keyed. Reset and refresh are very nice functions though, but sometimes things go crap ohoy, so being able to format and install windows 10 directly, would be very nice. Let's see.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Interesting. It's just that Microsoft has said the opposite before. But then again, it's not even out yet, so lots of things can change. I hope it's pre keyed. Reset and refresh are very nice functions though, but sometimes things go crap ohoy, so being able to format and install windows 10 directly, would be very nice. Let's see.

What should happen when it's time for the upgrade is it will verify your old key by making sure it is a valid license and eligible for the upgrade. After that, Microsoft servers will issue the new key to your computer to later be put into the registry during the upgrade process.

You will most likely not be able to see the key until you are on windows 10 but it will be a new key.

It's sounding to me like they might even incorporate creating install media into the OS so you can go into the refresh settings and create an install DVD or USB install disc to clean install, maybe even with auto slipstream of the key too.

Of course this is just me speculating.

It's sounding to me like they might even incorporate creating install media into the OS so you can go into the refresh settings and create an install DVD or USB install disc to clean install, maybe even with auto slipstream of the key too.

Of course this is just me speculating.

Only thing close to that is a Microsoft page to get ISO files with your key but that does not work all that well.

I fear this is just going to be another Windows 8, poor compatibility with old software included.

I fear this is just going to be another Windows 8, poor compatibility with old software included.

Old software that is never updated is always going to have problems on new stuff. All the ~issues~ with windows 8 were already taken care of months ago.

Old software that is never updated is always going to have problems on new stuff. All the ~issues~ with windows 8 were already taken care of months ago.

Really? even not allowing to run some programs?

Really? even not allowing to run some programs?

It will try to run the old programs in compatibility modes but if the software is just too old and none of those modes work, then you are just out of luck. You should complain to the software maker and not Microsoft.

Some programs that cause issues will get a warning dialogue box saying this causes issues and if you want to continue. If you get that box though most likely than not it will just not run at all.

You should complain to the software maker and not Microsoft.

It's not the software maker's responsability to fix old programs whenever Microsoft breaks them.  It's Microsoft who need to learn how to update their OS' kernel without breaking just about everything that used to work before.

If a program used to work and ceases to do so after a kernel update, it's not the program's fault but the kernel's. 

Yes, it's perfectly possible that an update accidentally breaks one or two programs, but MS breaks hunderds at a time whenever they change their OS version despite the so-called "compatibility mode".

Microsoft has pretty much the best legacy software support of any company out there...

Windows 10 can run Office 95 without issue. That's an OS running software that is literally 20 years old.

post-385-0-85435700-1435963421.jpg

But let's not talk about OS 9 to OS X though, and we definitely won't talk about Macs going from PowerPC to x86.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Cool now I have to put off my reformat even longer since I couldn't reserve the thing since the reservation feature us broken as hell. Thanks ms!

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I'm excited for win10, but I'll probably wait about a month before upgrading just in case there are any major issues.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

-snip-

Interesting. Did it run w/o a problem or did you have to play with compatibility modes/some other stuff?

Just when you think those icons couldn't get uglier...

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

But let's not talk about OS 9 to OS X though, and we definitely won't talk about Macs going from PowerPC to x86.

Rosetta meant that wasn't that ugly. However lazy developers including Adobe left Plc only code in for way too long. In short terms I hold developers at fault for poor compatibility resulting from poor choices.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory