Windows 10 will be "rolling out in waves", not everyone will get it on launch date

Bouzoo

Oh lol I thought it was June 29 all this time. Why must these months with nearly the same name be stuck together?

Because reasons. I though you saw the pic and thought "Oh wait, I'm an insider and I don't have that, why do they have it?" sort of stuff. You know, common sense.  :lol:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I still get the "your report is not available right now" (or whatever it would be called in English). So idk what is incompatible, or how to fix it. Very annoying.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Who cares man we get it eventually. They are at fault, they want to do things their own way, ofcourse they cant deliver to all planet at once.

What i would have done is make everyone upgrade their key trough website and trade for windows 10 key, then i would release multiple sources of windows 10 iso and torrent link.

Then everything was settled those who wanted to keep current windows would install 10 from desktop setup with the new key and others could do a fresh install from usb.

Easy, flexible, no stress, cheaper for them too, i cant imagine the bandwidth cost to deliver win10 by update to everyone, since 7/8 doesnt have peer to peer distribution yet like w10 will.

My biggest concern is that they wont trade me a key for my current 8.1 key, i want fresh install from USB no matter what, ill get the .iso somehow.

Why do people like to make simple things complicated ? thats something i always wonder,if its not stupid or stubbornnes idk what it is.

75% of the desktops use windows 7 - 8.1. so if that is a 4 GB download for 1 billion PCs, that makes it 4000 Peta Bytes of data that needs to be sent from microsofts servers to users, IF everyone upgrades.

3 Letters:

CDN

MS uploads the file to their CDN, which distributes it over their servers. That's where your download comes from, not directly from MS. 4000 petabytes is nothing for CDN's.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

you might want to check that stat. the most widely used OS is windows xp. The most widely reported OS is in the range of windows 7-8.1.

Windows xp didn't have modern anti piracy measures (actually I think I've got an install cd lying around somewhere still) and was pirated like crazy when the internet era hit. It only stopped being supported at the start of last year.

XP hasn't been on top for years. Windows 7 overtook it ages ago, and now it's not even close.

Even though you're the one who should have provided a source, I'll do it anyway: http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/01/windows-8s-market-share-maxes-out-at-16-as-windows-10-looms/ 

XP hasn't been on top for years. Windows 7 overtook it ages ago, and now it's not even close.

No win 7 took over years ago as the most legitimately used OS. and it's the only way they can get official stats. I swear 3/4 of china still uses xp. That stat was gathered from torrent downloads. something microsoft doesn't want to admit.

No win 7 took over years ago as the most legitimately used OS. and it's the only way they can get official stats. I swear 3/4 of china still uses xp. That stat was gathered from torrent downloads. something microsoft doesn't want to admit.

Care to provide a source?

Who cares man we get it eventually. They are at fault, they want to do things their own way, ofcourse they cant deliver to all planet at once.

What i would have done is make everyone upgrade their key trough website and trade for windows 10 key, then i would release multiple sources of windows 10 iso and torrent link.

Then everything was settled those who wanted to keep current windows would install 10 from desktop setup with the new key and others could do a fresh install from usb.

Easy, flexible, no stress, cheaper for them too, i cant imagine the bandwidth cost to deliver win10 by update to everyone, since 7/8 doesnt have peer to peer distribution yet like w10 will.

My biggest concern is that they wont trade me a key for my current 8.1 key, i want fresh install from USB no matter what, ill get the .iso somehow.

Why do people like to make simple things complicated ? thats something i always wonder,if its not stupid or stubbornnes idk what it is.

The reason they couldn't do that is because you need a third-party tool to get your OEM key from most OEM Windows 8.1 machines.

Care to provide a source?

Actually every official source I can find agrees with you. My source was this guy

https://au.linkedin.com/in/brettporter

You can see why I figure he'd be in a position to know.

I will agree that the market share has downgraded since xp is no longer supported. I don't agree that is has downgraded anywhere close to what the official figures suggest.

That that's completely irrelevant to this conversation. I swear, some of you are addicted to proving other people wrong... You also still need a source, but I don't doubt that you're correct

Actually every official source I can find agrees with you. My source was this guy

You can see why I figure he'd be in a position to know.

Oh I haven't said anything in this debate, you mistook me for someone :D

That that's completely irrelevant to this conversation. I swear, some of you are addicted to proving other people wrong... You also still need a source, but I don't doubt that you're correct

Sorry replied to the wrong person

"Actually every official source I can find agrees with you. My source was this guy

You can see why I figure he'd be in a position to know."

This is fine. I don't plan on getting Windows 10 the day it comes out because there's guaranteed to be bugs that need to be worked out. Considering that we have up to a year from release to upgrade, I'll probably wait about 6 months before even attempting it. By then I'd hope even the most obscure of drivers would have been patched for compatibility. Generally, you never want to be the first to do anything.

I totally agree. But there are people who wants to touch and play with newest software and hardware, no matter bugs, compatibility issues etc. :)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I wasn't planning on doing the upgrade until the end of August anyway.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It's going out in waves so in case the first wave starts having a bunch of issues they can stop the next wave and fix all the bugs. Hopefully everything goes well, if not then I feel bad for the people in the first wave.

I intend to upgrade, get my key, create install media and clean install so I would be perfect for a first wave key.

You listening Microsoft??

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Anyone else going to be waiting until the very last second before upgrading for free, or is it just me?

I'm not even upgrading at all.  From what I've seen so far, there's a high probability than Win10 is even more of a datamining tool than 8.1 is.  I'll stick to my stripped-down W7 for as long as I have any use for a Microsoft OS at all. 

Remind me to take a break from the forum between July 28th and whatever date the final upgrades roll out.  The forum is going to be flooded with people wanting to know why their PC hasn't upgraded to Win10 yet. 

What? That's so lame! It figures there was a catch. :lol:

They're giving it away for free, they want to reduce the cost of rolling it out as much as possible...otherwise they're literally just throwing money away.

Nothing strange. Server bandwidth and early security on OS it's good they're not rushing with such a thing.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Insider Program FTW

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Yay,  glad I haven't got rid of my insider install.   I'll keep this drive and get win 10, then switch drives when is available for everybody so I can install it in the disc that came originally with my laptop and get another license for that one.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong. This happens with new Android updates, new iOS updates, etc. They allow everyone to download it at once, their servers get bogged down and it might cause issues.

Pushing it out a little at a time for a few days seems like the right step, to me.

Plus, there will likely be an uploaded .msi or .iso something for people to grab.

I'm not even upgrading at all.  From what I've seen so far, there's a high probability than Win10 is even more of a datamining tool than 8.1 is.  I'll stick to my stripped-down W7 for as long as I have any use for a Microsoft OS at all. 

Remind me to take a break from the forum between July 28th and whatever date the final upgrades roll out.  The forum is going to be flooded with people wanting to know why their PC hasn't upgraded to Win10 yet. 

I'm predicting a bunch of issues with the W10 rollout "turns out a vulnerability got through, no one could choose to not update, so everyone got a virus" etc.

I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade. If I have to, I will for DX12. Hopefully by then we'll have the option of turning auto update off

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I intend to upgrade, get my key, create install media and clean install so I would be perfect for a first wave key.

You listening Microsoft??

Pretty sure you can't do that, as you don't get a key. You "format" via windows reset.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm predicting a bunch of issues with the W10 rollout "turns out a vulnerability got through, no one could choose to not update, so everyone got a virus" etc.

I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade. If I have to, I will for DX12. Hopefully by then we'll have the option of turning auto update off

And that's why I have the Pro version! I don't think that MS is going to backtrack this time tbh. There won't be enough backlash unless something goes horribly wrong.

I want my more numbers thing NOW

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.