R9 280x is showing it's age.

Tupac

I've been doing some 1440p and 4k gaming with this card, and often struggle to maintain a solid 30fps, I've considered a Fury X and a 980 Ti, but if I can spend less for a solid card that won't make my room a toasty 145 degrees that'd be optimal. As far as 4k gaming, what options are out there for those who want to hit 60 fps and medium/high settings?

I am limited by a 750w power supply.

Current Possibilities:

-390X

My build in case compatibility comes into question:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TucoNuco/saved/TPLKHx

Thats a 390x. I would not go 4k its not a necessity. I game a 1080p but I would go to 1440 and stop. It looks better than most and is not too power hungry. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I've been doing some 1440p and 4k gaming with this card, 

It isn't really showing its age, it was designed to be (and still is) a great 1080p card.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

145 degrees? In C, you would be dead. In F, you would still be dead.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thats a 390x. I would not go 4k its not a necessity. I game a 1080p but I would go to 1440 and stop. It looks better than most and is not too power hungry. 

Incorrect. At it's current price, the 390x is never the correct answer. I'm saddened to see so many people who keep suggesting or considering this fucking rip off of a card.

-------

Current Rig

-------

390x is an 8GB 290x

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Do you actually have a native 4k monitor?

If so, get 2 290xs, a 295x2, 2 390xs, 2 980s, a 980ti or a Fury X.

If not, settle down and get something a bit less meaty.

Absolutely would agree with you, but I can't help but notice that it looks "blurred" on my montior on anything short of 4k, is that something that I can solve via catalyst, or just a given when playing on lower resolutions.

Do you actually have a native 4k monitor?

If so, get 2 290xs, a 295x2, 2 390xs, 2 980s, a 980ti or a Fury X.

If not, settle down and get something a bit less meaty.

Yeah, I have a native 4k monitor. Would sli/crossfire cause problems on modern titles?

Incorrect. At it's current price, the 390x is never the correct answer. I'm saddened to see so many people who keep suggesting or considering this fucking rip off of a card.

Thats a 390x . He mentioned 280x and added a 390x to his build to show us. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

390x is a 8GB 290x

In benchmarks it still seems to shag to 290x into the ground though. Might need to test some scenes that are used by other review websites with the latest drivers, see how much closer they come.

Benchmarks seem to show the 390x beating the 980 at 1440p+ though, not bad for an 18 month old chip.

Agreed

Used 290x (4GB or 8GB) or 2nd 280x are your options for AMD IMO... price>performance

290x>390x performance increases are SLIGHTLY from the OC,...but I've OC'd my 290's,........seems to be from a locked out driver enhancing Tesselation

390x gets it, 290x does not, you use the 290x with a hacked 390x driver, performance goes up according to Digital Foundry/Eurogamer.

If this is true, dodgey shit...

Nvidia forums full of "Gimped Kepler drivers" already

AMD forums full of "Gimped Hawaii drivers" no doubt soon...

/The HD7970 (280x) really DID hold out for ages....an epic 1440p card for what it was, and still is a great 1080p card for harder to run titles.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thats a 390x . He mentioned 280x and added a 390x to his build to show us. 

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

I'm not sure what you fixed. "That's" with an apostrophe is "That is." From what I can tell, your "correction" made the post grammatically incorrect.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yeah, I have a native 4k monitor. Would sli/crossfire cause problems on modern titles?

I've been using 2 290xs in Crossfire for about 6 months now, and to be honest, it works great 95% of the time. I think both AMD and Nvidia have gotten multi-GPU tech to a great level :)

While I think AMD should have kept the price the same as the existing 290/290Xs rather than raising it, I still think the 390 and 390X are solid cards for 4K gaming. Performance is quite good at that resolution and the 20% increase to memory clock speed they have over the previous gen makes a very noticeable difference at 4K. The 390 outperforms the 290X, for example.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

In benchmarks it still seems to shag to 290x into the ground though.

Clocks and maybe some slight architectural tweaks.

Please. Think before you get pissed and just say random crap about how YOU dont like the 390x. Maybe OP liked it but just read the text in front of you before hitting reply

I've been using 2 290xs in Crossfire for about 6 months now, and to be honest, it works great 95% of the time. I think both AMD and Nvidia have gotten multi-GPU tech to a great level :)

Okay, definitely something to consider then.

I'm not sure what you fixed. "That's" with an apostrophe is "That is." From what I can tell, your "correction" made the post grammatically incorrect.

image.png

Clocks and maybe some slight architectural tweaks.

It's easily 10-15% better, and however they do it, you cannot deny that it's a better 1440p+ card than the 980. 

Plus better crossfire scaling means that while 2 290xs almost catch 2 980s, 2 390xs easily beat 2 980s.

Okay, definitely something to consider then.

I'll not claim it's perfect, but look at benchmarks, any game that might need 2 GPUs supports 2 GPUs. The 295x2 still tops performance indices, and in my mind offers great value. People just bitch about crossfire/SLI, it's utter nonsense.

MFW I fixed what the post was pointing out, and not the grammar.

I know. This has been the first grammar guy that I have met. And Im very happy about it.