Why did people hate Vista?

I'm 18, so I remember when Vista launched, and I remember everyone hating it.  I wasn't old enough to know why though.  Every time I had used it it seemed just like XP but looked nicer and had some cool features (like aero snap).  Why was it seemingly universally hated?

• It didn't perform very well.
  • It was very buggy.
  • It didn't act nicely to software from Windows XP. (Depending on the software.)
  • It tried to do a lot, but ended up doing very little.
  • Its design wasn't very appealing. Although Aero was neat, it was like it tried to morph out of Windows XP, but then was cut short. (Subjective.)
  • It wasn't intuitive. 
  • Often-times you'd get prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) when doing even mundane things. Like opening up Disk Defragmenter. 

The list goes on.

Buggy, slow, resource-hogging, crashing. I'm 15 currently and had a vista laptop for almost half my life. It's terrible.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

to wrap it nicely it was half of windows 7. (with a billion bugs an crappy features)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Buggy, slow, resource-hogging, crashing. I'm 15 currently and had a vista laptop for almost half my life. It's terrible.

I feel like those complaints could be lodged against Windows in general though.

I never hated it. In fact, i loved it so much. I think it was the best OS out there

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I never hated it. In fact, i loved it so much. I think it was the best OS out there

What did you like about it?

I feel like those complaints could be lodged against Windows in general though.

Xp or 7 never had those problems [well mabye a little bit]. Vista was 3x worse than any other microsoft os.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Well it wasn't that bad but somebody wrote once on this forum why people hated it, 1 or 2 years ago.

The computers of that time were made for XP, hardware wise.

Vista was just too taxing sometimes. Plus driver problems.

If you talk to microsoft fanboy's, it was the fault of hardware companies for not providing proper driver support, even though Longhorn Beta was in circulation for years before it launched as Vista. Aside from that, Vista was incredibly bloated. When they updated the OS from 6.0 (Vista) to 6.1 (Windows 7), they cut out a lot of the bloat and streamlined the entire Backend of Windows. Microsoft also took on the task of making generic drivers to cover most - if not all - common hardware, so that by the time Windows 7 rolled out, Microsoft were not reliant on external driver support. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I installed Vista on a 4 year old laptop because a friend wanted it.

Opening IE took around 1 minute

Installed Win7

Opening IE took around 5 seconds.

wtf..

Xp or 7 never had those problems [well mabye a little bit]. Vista was 3x worse than any other microsoft os.

No it wasn't. XP was the worst.

What did you like about it?

Speed, the looks, the gadgets, and how it overall gamed.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well the only PC I ever had with Vista had a Core 2 Quad and a 7200RPM Caviar Blue so it was pretty snappy on Vista and only took around 30 seconds to boot. No problems from me. However, no Pentium 4 should ever be expected to suffocate through Vista xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My dad had a Vista laptop and he downgraded it to XP. He's wasn't too tech savvy back then and he was desperate enough to do it.

Well the only PC I ever had with Vista had a Core 2 Quad and a 7200RPM Caviar Blue so it was pretty snappy on Vista and only took around 30 seconds to boot. No problems from me. However, no Pentium 4 should ever be expected to suffocate through Vista xD

Booting time isn't a great metric and it also depends on MB and other things.

I remember using it and it was like resource intensive, had some bugs, UAC was good but it got up every fucking time on every fucking thing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

XP beat vista in everyway....

how can you possibly say that. xp was so unoptimized. it took me 15 minutes to open chrome on my laptop on xp, and another 15 to load a webpage.

It had more problems than good features OP

beware, i'm probably the hardest vista fanboy out there

At that time, Acer + Vista = BSOD Galore...

As a pc technician at that time, Vista gave me hell load of issue that at times i cant even begin to fathom how/what causes it.

Vista is the lesser evil incarnation of ME.

Only difference was Vista didn't die every 5 min or needed reinstalled every 3 months.

Vista was slightly (slightly) more stable. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm 18, so I remember when Vista launched, and I remember everyone hating it.  I wasn't old enough to know why though.  Every time I had used it it seemed just like XP but looked nicer and had some cool features (like aero snap).  Why was it seemingly universally hated?

It was apparently pretty bad off of launch, none of the drivers from xp worked for it and everyone was slow releasing their drivers for it, buggy ect ect.  After a year or so once the drivers and patches came out it wasn't to bad, I used it on a Asus laptop that I had for like 5-6 years with no problems.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Booting time isn't a great metric and it also depends on MB and other things.

I remember using it and it was like resource intensive, had some bugs, UAC was good but it got up every fucking time on every fucking thing.

Should point out it was a slow booting BIOS, like 20 seconds just for it alone, so it wasn't exactly a slow boot time. That said, I really never did have issue with Vista.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

XP was Terrible when it first came out. Read up on that.

Should point out it was a slow booting BIOS, like 20 seconds just for it alone, so it wasn't exactly a slow boot time. That said, I really never did have issue with Vista.

My lenovo G580 boots in 2 seconds not more or less into windows and jayztwocents X99 takes like 15-30 seconds depending on if it's a cold boot of not, I think the biggest factor is the MB then hard drive.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Seriously, i feel like i'm the only one who used Vista and had no issues whatsoever. I mean my gateway computer of 9 years still has vista and with no issues. i mean i loved it so much i downgraded my laptop preloaded with 7 down to vista.