Considering new Macbook, convince me otherwise?

Kyuubixchidori

hello everyone! so I need electronics for school. I gone back and forth between a

1. powerhouse PC, and a ultralight windows tablet

2. a powerhouse gaming laptop

3.ultrathin laptop like a macbook.

With my current mindset, I feel like the macbook might be the best bet. but im sure others with more experience with laptops can offer some other suggestions?

Overall budget of about 1500$.

suggestions can include a PC+laptop combo

Gaming laptop

Ultrabook that destroys macbook?

My situation-CIS student, so just light programing, which anything can handle. I "like" to game, as I like to think of myself as a gamer, yet I hardly touched my steam library. probably 150 hours in the last 4 years. lots of people are pushing more than that in just one game. I also have a xbone for other light gaming with buddies in the dorm. 

that, and I may be out and about all day, so battery life and weight are HUGE for me. 

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX305FA-13-3-Inch-Ultraslim-Aluminum/dp/B00SGS7ZH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434998429&sr=8-1&keywords=ux305&pebp=1434998441343&perid=1BZ9TX3HB0QDFDXYC5C7

+ pc.

800$ is enough for a decent pc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E35 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($188.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($130.50 @ Newegg) 
Total: $813.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 14:44 EDT-0400

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm buying a Macbook 2015 purely because it looks good. And I'm a sucker for good looking devices. 

Could I get a better PC? Of course.

But I have my desktop for that. And Windows trackpads are a joke.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX305FA-13-3-Inch-Ultraslim-Aluminum/dp/B00SGS7ZH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434998429&sr=8-1&keywords=ux305&pebp=1434998441343&perid=1BZ9TX3HB0QDFDXYC5C7

+ pc.

800$ is enough for a decent pc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E35 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($188.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($130.50 @ Newegg) 
Total: $813.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 14:44 EDT-0400

thanks. I need to try to find that in store to try it out, as with a mobile device build quality is everything. 

I'm buying a Macbook 2015 purely because it looks good. And I'm a sucker for good looking devices. 

Could I get a better PC? Of course.

But I have my desktop for that. And Windows trackpads are a joke.

right? I went in apple store to dick around, I saw one, I knew it made zero sense to buy one, but I want it

if you have $1500 budget then I'd recommend you to go with 13 inch MBP (here) as it has better specs, much more powerful, better battery, more I/O and it has force touch trackpad

But then again new Macbook just keeps pulling me back

You'd be better off buying the older Macbook Air over the new Macbook 2015, which other than being slightly thinner, offer nothing better. Even the battery is worse.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/macbook-vs-macbook-air

http://www.macrumors.com/guide/macbook-air-vs-macbook-pro-vs-macbook/

The new macbook is essentially a tablet in a notebook formfactor. Terrible value for your money. Get the Air or go for the Macbook Pro if you really want a mac laptop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

if you have $1500 budget then I'd recommend you to go with 13 inch MBP (here) as it has better specs, much more powerful, looks good, better battery, more I/O and it has force touch trackpad

so basically more power/battery/io or save a little weight and size?

I still prefer the Macbook Pro over the Macbook.  Both are very portable but the MBP gives you a bit better connectivity and more power.    

However I will say that I handled a macbook the other day and fell in love with it.   I almost wish I had picked one up instead of my 2015 Macbook Pro.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

You'd be better off buying the older Macbook Air over the new Macbook 2015, which other than being slightly thinner, offer nothing better. Even the battery is worse.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/macbook-vs-macbook-air

The new macbook is essentially a tablet in a notebook formfactor. Terrible value for your money. Or go for the Macbook Pro.

Well, the screen is quiet a bit sharper than with the one in the Air.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

so basically more power/battery/io or save a little weight and size?

Yup.

Now you'll have to evaluate what all you actually do in your notebook and decide accordingly. Just editing documents, web browsing, programming, occasional media consumption get the MacBook but if you want a little more powerful device with a little headroom for future stuff you possibly might do (photo editing or something like a hobby) then get the pro

Yup.

Now you'll have to evaluate what all you actually do in your notebook and decide accordingly. Just editing documents, web browsing, programming, occasional media consumption get the MacBook but if you want a little more powerful device with a little headroom for future stuff you possibly might do (photo editing or something like a hobby)

yeah thats my issue now I have to sort out. right now im sitting on 1400$ worth of hardware that's basically a web browser. why do that when I can spend just as much and get a much more convenient form factor. 

Get a Macbook Pro or maybe even an Air, since you don't seem to need that much power. Not only are they cheaper, but they are far more usable than the new Macbook.

It's just totally overpriced for what it is.

With this budget you might even look into Asus Zenbooks. (If you have to use Windows, get a Windows notebook!)

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Check out the Lenovo Thinkpad T450s. Couple that with a docking station and you got yourself a freaking sweet productivity laptop for college (17 hours battery life). Since you already have xbone, and you don't game that much, might as well just keep the Xbone for gaming...

By the way, for your budget you could get a higher end 2013 or 2014 model.   Check out the Apple Certified clearance and refurb section.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Check out the Lenovo Thinkpad T450s. Couple that with a docking station and you got yourself a freaking sweet productivity laptop for college (17 hours battery life). Since you already have xbone, and you don't game that much, might as well just keep the Xbone for gaming...

will do. that battery life sounds AMAZING.

and before I freak out, I haven't seen you around in forever. I need to find pictures of it. your k'nex server was inspiration for a 4 PC tall K'nex server rack I built a while ago that now lives in my brothers house. has old pcs acting as game servers, a Nas, and a now off and parted out mining Rig. 

and before I freak out, I haven't seen you around in forever. I need to find pictures of it. your k'nex server was inspiration for a 4 PC tall K'nex server rack I built a while ago that now lives in my brothers house. has old pcs acting as game servers, a Nas, and a now off and parted out mining Rig. 

staaaahp, you're making me blush :rolleyes: :blush:

Srsly though, would like to see that :D

PS, check out http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391678-swapping-out-laptop-display-for-different-model/... It's highly likely I'll be doing that within a week or two. If it's still before you leave for college I'll be able to confirm if it works and it might save you some $$$ ;)

We got one at work and am VERY dissapointed that Apple is so retarded to give you JUST ONE freaking USB C plug that does your power and data. As if having the Macbook Airs with only one USB port was bad enough and needing a damn hub to plug shit into, now they only give you ONE farking port for everything and you'll need a hub no matter what ifyou wanna use anything that isn't wireless.

What a joke...

The Macbook Air specifically is the worst possible choice you can do. At least give the money to a charity if you are going to buy this system. Even Apple themselves are a shame selling it. At the Apple store near me, they only 1 on display, at the corner of the store. And it is a big Apple store. The rest was MacBook Pros and, of course, the new MacBook.

I don't know what program you are in, but as a computer science ex-student, I highly recommend the Surface Pro 3 (I have the Pro 2).

This system is VERY powerful for it's form factor.Any other system from other manufacture are less powerful, drastically, with only Atom based CPU,  or sever throttling and always on fan.

The Surface Pro 3 is ultra quiet operation, feature a Core i5 CPU Haswell U series (not Y series, so it is a "real deal"). You have a tablet and laptop in hand.

It features a high resolution high-PPI display IPS panel, full size USB 3.1 connector, and the most important part: Digitize pen.

With the power of OneNote (which I highly recommend EVEN if you don't buy this system and buy a normal laptop. You can check as much as you want, it is the most powerful note taking software you can get, and it is free) You can do math, diagrams, drawing, and sketching with teh pen with high precision. You can circle, annotate, complete PDFs . Imagine in class, typing your notes, and there is a mathematical formula that you need to write down. You are on a laptop, what do you do? I'll tell you what you'll do, you'll get a peace of paper, write it down, and try and remember to transfer it in your notes, hopefully not lose the paper, or too lazy to do it and forget about it, because putting it on your computer will be very time consuming in class. You don't have time for this.

With the Surface Pro 3, you pull out the pen, and you can write it. You can also convert math, even complex mathematical formulas into text format with OneNote. Like I said, very powerful.

The pen is not any pen. It is the real deal pen. Thin point, pressure sensitivity tracking, and detects the pen floating on the screen, and has palm rejection. This is not the garbage stylus for iPad, which simulates your finger.

Think about such situation, and how you would manage with a laptop.

I had a laptop, a powerful one, it was freaking frustrating. Math class, forget it, pen+paper. So now I had to carry laptop + pen and paper daily.. why have a laptop?

Since I got Surface Pro 2 I digitize everything. This device was god sent. I actually wanted such device since day 1. But at the time (2008), such convertible system were thick, heavy, extremely low powered (had trouble running Windows XP, forget Vista), 2-3h battery life, and loud. And cost 3000$ for a pen technology where you didn't have to fight with. So technology has come a long way, and Microsoft not cheapening out on anything at the inside, shows how such system is possible.

If you are interested in the Surface Pro 3, I would wait for the Pro 4. The Pro 3 is 1 year old, and the Pro 4 should feature Intel Skylake CPU, should help gaming on the device. You can game on the Pro 2  and 3 system, you can find many youtube video showing this. Of course, it will be low/med settings on most games, and forget 60fps gaming, unless the game is simple in graphics. But Skylake should help further on this. Watch youtube videos and you'll see how it all runs. Beside it will come with Windows 10, and probably features to showcase Windows 10, as this is the point of the Surface line devices, showcasing Windows.

I always said this, if you gave me 5000$ and told me to buy any system you want, I would buy the Surface Pro, and told you to keep the change. That is how satisfied I am with the system, despite its minor flaws.

If you have any questions about the system, just ask. I can share you my old class notes even if you want to see how I was working with it.

For note taking, I personally would vouch for a Chromebook and a desktop/AiO and maybe a decent Windows laptop (probably not an ultrabook though just because that's what the Chromebook would fill in, though if you need the extra power and would rather a Mac, the MacBook Air would be better than a MacBook. 

Though I'm not sure what ChromeOS has for programming options. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

^^^ Someone is getting paid under table my M$ me thinks...

And big time Dell, Nvidia, Logitech, Noctua, Corsair, G.Skill, let see... what other company I was told I was being paid...Oh yes, Lenovo! Even thought I never bought anything from them. How wonderful.

^^^ Someone is getting paid under table my M$ me thinks...

Yeah.  A bit rabbid in his anti Apple/Pro MS stance there.  It reads like a Microsoft Marketing release.  

For note taking, I personally would vouch for a Chromebook and a desktop/AiO and maybe a decent Windows laptop (probably not an ultrabook though just because that's what the Chromebook would fill in, though if you need the extra power and would rather a Mac, the MacBook Air would be better than a MacBook. 

Though I'm not sure what ChromeOS has for programming options. 

Why buy all this, when the Surface Pro line has all these features? It is super light, has your digitizer pen, runs Windows, it is an ultrabook, runs a Core U series i5 or i7processor, has a decently fast SSD, and lots of RAM and fast RAM (featest speed that the CPU supports). It is faster and better than the Macbook Air. MacBook Air still uses a crappy TN panel and only 1366x768 resolution, that is Windows 8/10 minimum screen resolution for it to work, and not full featured.

Yeah.  A bit rabbit in his anti Apple/Pro MS stance there.  It reads like a Microsoft Marketing release.  

I am Anti Apple, because I said that the Apple Air is, what it is, crap? Heck even Pro-Apple sites agree with me, and everyone is shocked on how Apple still haven't updated the device. Oh no, Apple has 1 product that I think is crap, and not pushed by Apple themselves, OH MY GOD... I am paid by Microsoft! Apple hater I am! Should be banned! No one dares to insult the god that is Apple!

Please...

My stands on technology has been clearly made on this forum. I don't need to justify anything.

I clearly stated that I think that the Surface Pro line is good for STUDENTS, and I only talk about it on topics where student is involved. Would I buy, now, as I graduated and started my career a Surface Pro? Maybe not. I always said that the pen does the Surface Pro. If you don't care about the pen, then get a laptop/ultarbook. But I think that the pen is critical for students as I find it as such, and so as other students at university that picked the device up. And you can see, how it make even more sense when you go at the univerity library, so you can check yourself, and you see many students with a tablet (Android based or Apple), and a MacBook Pro or PC (laptop), next to it. Why get 2 devices?

I have clearly explained my points, with example, and willing to share our my usage scenario if interested by anyone, as I really enjoyed the product.

So far, I am only one here on this thread that have done this. The rest of you were all "Get this" "Get that". With no constructive point as to WHY.

Since when proving my points is considered advertisement?

Ok....   take a Valium man.   

Your comments are written like a marketing piece from Microsoft.  go back and re-read them.   I used to do marketing.  I know it when I see it.   

It has nothing to do with liking a product or not it is how you choose to phrase it. 

The Macbook Air is the worst possible choice you can do. At least give the money to a charity if you are going to buy this, old, overpriced, pathetic device. Even Apple themselves are a shame selling it. At the Apple store near me, they only 1 on display, at the corner of the store. And it is a big Apple store.

I mean come on man.   How much further outside of reality can you get....   

Also for the record.  I like my Surface Pro (First Gen).   Although it doesn't get enough use to justify keeping it over my other computers.  Especially my Macbook pro.