Considering new Macbook, convince me otherwise?

Kyuubixchidori

Windows 10 will run perfectly smoothly on a single channel 2GB of RAM system (tested on my side. Very responsive, and Windows will switch the way it manages memory consuming only ~1GB). While that is great, using Firefox (forget Chrome), or Edge, everything will be fine as long as you limit your tabs, and limit the number of programs on the back to the minimum. Music + Skype + Firefox with 3-4 tabs, is reaching the limit. 2GB is really for light office work environment.

The more RAM you have the more Windows will consume, however, eventually stop. On my Surface Pro 2 I have 8GB of RAM, and Windows 10 with Firefox with 2 tabs open (this forum twice), Outlook, Trillian and Skype, all together consumes ~2.9GB of RAM. So probably ~2.7GB if I close everything.

right. We have ancient school computers running win 8.1 on 1 gig of ram. its horrid but its possible. I ran my Pc on 2 gigs while I waited for my RMA. and I Could do LIGHT gaming on that, Played GTA 4 and it would be fine, then go to swap and the game would freeze up for like 15 seconds. so 4 SHOULD be fine for a note taking device. 

i didnt bother upgrading as the new macs aren't an upgrade if you already own a macbook!

I have an Early 2014 macbook air which was the second gen of its current form with a slightly better haswell processor.

mine is fully maxed out, and even the top end new macbook doesnt really measure up.. was a disappointment 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

right. the big thing for me is the ram. but if its just for note taking and such, wondering if it would be a issue or not. and WIndows is getting more and more geared towards low ram products(tablets ect)

Yup, for simple note taking that laptop will be splendid. Just take the non-upgradability into account ;)

There isn't anything wrong with buying the new macbook. "it doesn't have ports" is not a good argument against it. Apple wants a wireless future, you don't need ports, except for power that is.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit