U.S. Drops to #9 in World Wide Internet Speeds

EChondo

http://www.xconomy.com/national/2013/07/23/were-number-9-u-s-slips-in-internet-connection-ranking/

The U.S. dropped one place from the previous quarter, to ninth overall, at 8.6 megabits per second. Sweden now takes eighth place with an average connection speed of 8.9 megabits per second (mobile networks were not included).

Screen-shot-2013-07-23-at-9.13.04-AM.png

Canada is at 7.8Mbps, so you mounties aren't that far away :P

OT: I am not surprised we lowered in rank, but I wish I could have seen this before the whole Google Fiber thing came about. Without it, we could have been lower, and I mean way lower.

If you wish to see a map, here you go. Just scroll down and pick a measurement from the drop down menu above the map. Then select "Average Connection Speed"

Fail, US; I feel ashamed in my country.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

We are the best western country, wohoo! :D

I still hate the fact that I could have 150mbit fibre for the EXACT same price (69$/month) I pay for 20mbit if I lived 10m down the road :/

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I still hate the fact that I could have 150mbit fibre for the EXACT same price (69$/month) I pay for 20mbit if I live 10m down the road :/

Well there aren't a lot of countries to compete with. Canada is the only one relatively close.

Not really a fair competition.

I still hate the fact that I could have 150mbit fibre for the EXACT same price (69$/month) I pay for 20mbit if I lived 10m down the road :/

You can contact your ISP and tell them to fix it..

Interested in Business and Technology

You can contact your ISP and tell them to fix it..

This 150mbit is offered by another ISP, but their cables don't reach to our house, so we have to wait until the next time they do some expansion. We have contacted many times, all we can do is wait :(

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Fail, US; I feel ashamed in my country.

You weren't before? I think it's utter crap that not every region, state, city, place has at lest some sort of internet connection even 56k, I think it's even more bull that those places that do have "reasonable" internet may have as low as 350 KB/s (3Mb/s) . ..

This 150mbit is offered by another ISP, but their cables don't reach to our house, so we have to wait until the next time they do some expansion. We have contacted many times, all we can do is wait :(

:(

Interested in Business and Technology

WHY CANADA WHY
Reason why i pay $85 a month for 100 down 5 up ._.
Cant wait to pay $115 for 250 down and 15 up when its available in my area, which they told me the ETA was about 5 months ago.

Well there aren't a lot of countries to compete with. Canada is the only one relatively close.

Not really a fair competition.

<--- I'm talking about Switzerland... Are we not a western country? :D

not suprised UK isnt there, with all the plusnet ads boasting about the extreme 1mbps and there 8mbps optic fibre. thats crazy and yes thats bits not bytes,

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Noo merica! with  noo good isp except for google and a few small ones.

I am a happy wuffy

i dont care where irelandss rankeed i got 100Mb internet for over a year. the crappy 8Mb in the countryside is holing us back

WHY CANADA WHY

Reason why i pay $85 a month for 100 down 5 up ._.

Cant wait to pay $115 for 250 down and 15 up when its available in my area, which they told me the ETA was about 5 months ago.

I wanted to go with Novus fiber but they're pretty much limited to the Downtown area. <_<

http://www.novusnow.ca/internet/

300Mbps / 15Mbps (1TB cap) for $103

<--- I'm talking about Switzerland... Are we not a western country? :D

To me, you're Eastern :P

Depends on the POV I guess!

I'm glad my internet speed is "above average"

30 down 10 up 

Hmm, I thought the US was like 17th or something like that.  The fiber must be helping.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

not suprised UK isnt there, with all the plusnet ads boasting about the extreme 1mbps and there 8mbps optic fibre. thats crazy and yes thats bits not bytes,

2122301957.png

My plusnet fiber runs pretty sweet. 

According to http://www.netindex.com/ HK is first but on this its 3rd. So which one is more accurate? lol

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

2122301957.png

My plusnet fiber runs pretty sweet. 

how much do you per month?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

BT in the UK offers 160 and soon 200Mb internet. My area got fibre optics in september last year. Might upgrade from ADSL soon.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

US needs to get there shit together people are paying way less in other countries for internet WAY faster.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster