Is 6 gb ram enough for gaming?

Hey

I need to know if 6 gb ram is enough for gaming. I'd also like to know what performance there is between 6 and 8 in gaming. I can get 6 for much less than 8 gb but is it enough

Setup:

i5 4460

gtx 960

Games:

Gta 5

Battlefield 4

Bioshock Infinite

and more :)

(This is posted for my friend :), im just tech support)

it will be enough, but i would get an 8gb kit

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

8GB is really the sweet spot for new build these days, TBH. 6 is do-able, but general usage will be nicer with 8.

And with 8 you pair it up with either two 4GB, or a single 8GB stick. Where as with 6 you would have to go 4+2, which works, but is not ideal.

i woad suggest getting 8gb of ram since most new games are minimum 8gb and some games take advantage of more ram and you can have more backround stuff running and more browser tabs 

it will be enough, but i would get an 8gb kit

Also if 6 gb would be almost half the price of 8 gb??

8GB is really the sweet spot for new build these days, TBH. 6 is do-able, but general usage will be nicer with 8.

And with 8 you pair it up with either two 4GB, or a single 8GB stick. Where as with 6 you would have to go 4+2, which works, but is not ideal.

The 6 gb is 3*2 gb. But is it still worth getting 8 gb if the price is almost doubled?

Ive seen my ram usage go slightly over 6gb while running GTA, but I probably had like 20 tabs open in chrome as well. It will likely be fine. 8gb would be better, but he can probably close a few programs if it gets close to 6gb...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

The 6 gb is 3*2 gb. But is it still worth getting 8 gb if the price is almost doubled?

What prices are we talking about? I see 8GB going for about £40/€55 in Europe.

What prices are we talking about? I see 8GB going for about £40/€55 in Europe.

Well the prices are different from normal. The 6 gb is used from my friend who upgraded this weekend. The 8 gb kit is brand new at sale (Prices in dkk are: 6 gb: 250 dkk, 8 gb: 420 dkk)

Why not getting 32 or 64 :P? But yeah 6 is good but the way things are going id say 12Gb's is a really good choice if possible.

Groomlake Authority

Why not getting 32 or 64 :P? But yeah 6 is good but the way things are going id say 12Gb's is a really good choice if possible.

Why not quad xeon supporting 1 tb of ram??

Why not quad xeon supporting 1 tb of ram??

O-o are you speaking of 25,000€ in parts!?

Groomlake Authority

Well the prices are different from normal. The 6 gb is used from my friend who upgraded this weekend. The 8 gb kit is brand new at sale (Prices in dkk are: 6 gb: 250 dkk, 8 gb: 420 dkk)

Me liking new parts would probably go with the 8GB kit. But you will honestly be fine with the 3x2GB set.

And I can only guess, but I assume that he previously used the sticks with a 1366 socket. And maybe a tad lower speeds on the memory as well (1333MHz?). But that doesn't make much of any difference in performance.

O-o are you speaking of 25,000€ in parts!?

No its a i5 gtx 960 build.. It was sarcastic

It is but I'd recommend at least 8GB

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

Me liking new parts would probably go with the 8GB kit. But you will honestly be fine with the 3x2GB set.

And I can only guess, but I assume that he previously used the sticks with a 1366 socket. And maybe a tad lower speeds on the memory as well (1333MHz?). But that doesn't make much of any difference in performance.

Yeah it probably is. But wouldnt it be better to pay low price for 6 gb and have it for a year or so, to get money to 16gb upgrade? rather than buying 8 gb and buying another 8 gb kit and running 4 kits instead of dual channel?

it will depend on what games you are planning to run

Dual channel > tri channel for your processor.

I run 8GB atm, but I'd like to go for 16GB in my next build. I'm constantly pushing 7GB of usage and Windows doesn;t like that

I can use more than 6GB in GTA V with nothing else open when playing for a couple of hours, though GTA V is supposed to have a memory leak in it. 6GB will mostly be fine, but I'd eventually upgrade that to 8GB or more.

Probably enough but you can't multitask that much. I think there's better deals all the time on a 8gb kit than 6 though.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Yeah it probably is. But wouldnt it be better to pay low price for 6 gb and have it for a year or so, to get money to 16gb upgrade? rather than buying 8 gb and buying another 8 gb kit and running 4 kits instead of dual channel?

Will be dual channel either way. I assume that your friend will be using a 1150 system, which can only do single/dual channel.

I would chose either 2x4GB sticks, or a single 8GB stick to give myself headroom to add more. With three 2GB sticks you would be limited in terms of upgradeability.

Will be dual channel either way. I assume that your friend will be using a 1150 system, which can only do single/dual channel.

I would chose either 2x4GB sticks, or a single 8GB stick to give myself headroom to add more. With three 2GB sticks you would be limited in terms of upgradeability.

Yes but the point was that because the 6 gb used is so cheap (Seller is close friend) it doesnt make sense to buy a 8 kit. I suggested that he bought the 6 gb and waited a year or so for his bday to get 16 gb