Apple antenna band that look like real metal

jos

Two strips of plastic that run across the back of the device. If Apple didn't coat that space with plastic, radio waves wouldn't be able to get through your iPhone's metal exterior to receive and send signals. The company described plans to develop a new composite metal material that looks and feels like anodized metal but is transparent enough for radio frequencies to pass through.

They have applied for patent. I cant even fathom the audacity of apple in applying for patent. Hope they wont be awarded. It is not like they have developed the method for making it and patenting it.. I remember old nokia phones with fake metalic finishes. Can i patent human travel other than moon.. since no one had gone elsewhere.. and ask NASA and other space agencies or royalty when they do so..

Source: http://www.businessinsider.in/Apple-invented-a-way-to-overcome-one-of-the-iPhones-biggest-design-hurdles/articleshow/47748386.cms

That seems valid to patent. They are working to create a martial with the feel and look of metal but the radio transparency of plastic. They are the ones who are going to be investing the money to develop the new material. If they patent it and then never invest in it then thats dumb as now no other company can make it.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

The way it looks like to me is, that they actually developed a new composition of metals that didn't exist before. The thing in your Nokia phone was most likely just plastic, or plastic combined with metal, but not just metal.

I think it's their full right to patent something they developed from ground up.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

The way it looks like to me is, that they actually developed a new composition of metals that didn't exist before. The thing in your Nokia phone was most likely just plastic, or plastic combined with metal, but not just metal.

I think it's their full right to patent something they developed from ground up.

- snip-

They have not developed it.. just planning to..they just mentioned all the posiblities to develop composite material

How dare apple patient something that has not been made before

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

well, this is just the way patents work for big companies, if they have a idea that they might try to work out they patent it, every company would make the same move apple made with this.

hell Canon has a shtload of lens patents they aren't using, but they still have them "just in case of"

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

IMHO, the antenna bands gave the iPhones their unique look. Starting from the iPhone 4, the antenna bands matched the color and thus "connected" the top and bottom glass portions of the iPhone while the rest of the phone was made out of metal, giving the iPhone a two-tone unique finish. I think this is one of the best designs for a phone (look at the white Galaxy S6 with for example) and I wished Apple kept this design philosophy.

However, since Jobs passed away, that characteristic look was ditched and the iPhone 6 came out with antenna bands that had a color that tried (very badly) to match the back of the phone. Now, this proves that they are trying to do away with the antenna bands completely. This saddens me a lot. And while I expect some Andriod phone manufacturer to quietly pick up that design philosophy (where do you think all the exposed antenna bands on the new phones root from? the Nexus 6, Moto X etc.), I don't expect anyone to execute this design philosophy as perfectly as Apple.

Just putting my two cents. Besides, without the antenna bands, the current iPhone would look like a rounded brick with a screen on top. I know I wouldn't want to have a phone like that.

Its a material developed by apple so they have all the rights to patent it. Legendary Nokia just used plastic that looks like metal (similar to what S4 & S5 had around their edges). Don't fanboy around here

I don't like the bands on the back of the current gen iPhones. I hope this new material works out.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Willing to bet that this negatively impacts the rigidity of the device.

Well then let's make it and patent it before them and do nothing with it so they buy us out and we make tons of cash xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Interesting, i wonder how effective this is. Or if it will impact signal quality. But its something that has been an issue in a lot of products for a while, so kudos if it works.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Two strips of plastic that run across the back of the device. If Apple didn't coat that space with plastic, radio waves wouldn't be able to get through your iPhone's metal exterior to receive and send signals. 

You mean like how the HTC M7, M8 and M9 have went with an all-metal body with a plastic strip that looks like metal.....right?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You mean like how the HTC M7, M8 and M9 have went with an all-metal body with a plastic strip that looks like metal.....right?

They are planning to make the band look same as metal. Trying to make it look like one piece of metal

If Apple invested a lot of R&D money in this cool and unique solution, I'd say they deserve the patent. It's not like anybody has done the exact same solution before since the patent doesn't exist.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Apple developed a new method that was wholly their idea and they are fronting the costs associated with R/D for the new material, which isn't cheap. Why shouldn't they patent a new idea? 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

How dare a company patent something they are willing to invest money into!

Now I think the patent process and system do need to be overhauled, but half the reason they are patenting it now is so they can put the R&D into something and receive benefits for doing so.

I am guess the OP is either mistaken regarding the material and purpose of the patent it they are just an Apple hater.

They have not developed it.. just planning to..they just mentioned all the posiblities to develop composite material

Actually that's how a lot of utility patenting happens. You get a great idea, patent it immediately so no one big moves in on you while you proceed to build it, and then sell your patented product/design until the patent expires, or you license.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd