Razerblade or Macbook Pro?

slifer

So given the choice of a Razerblade (probably the 2014 model) and the new Macbook Pro 13 Retina (base model) which one would you do?

I kinda want the macbook because of its looks and everything, but I'm a gamer (play CSGO, GTA5, etc) I'll occasionally be playing this on the laptop chosen, since I have a gaming desktop at home. So the laptop will strictly be for when I'm too lazy to get out of bed, or traveling.

Do you guys think the macbook will be able to run GTA5 on low settings? Or should i save up an extra ~500-1000 to get a razerblade (2014 or 2015)?

???

you think the lame gray macbook looks better?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The blade.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

the razer blade will game better. Both are  great laptops. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If you plan on playing games it only makes sense to get the gaming notebook. 

The blade.

get the razer blade if you want to game, it will be a way better experiance,

I wont be gaming on it too much keep in mind, since I have my gaming pc.. would that still justify spending almost double the cost for a razer blade?

I wont be gaming on it too much keep in mind, since I have my gaming pc.. would that still justify spending almost double the cost for a razer blade?

not at all. If you get a macbook pro with thunderbolt 2 and NO dedicated gpu, you can take advantage of optimums and put an nvidia gpu in a dock that outputs on the laptop's screen with little performance loss. 

So that's an option if you want to get an older cheap gpu for the laptop. But your laptop is a laptop, and the macbook works great as that. Laptop gaming is expensive, especially with laptops like these that are not upgradable. 

So I wouldn't think it's worth it to spend twice as much if you already desktop game. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Then no.

If you mentioned you had a gaming PC, the blade would be better. But since you have a PC, MBP.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

You ask about gaming performance on the macbook then say you won't be gaming. If you want to play games at all, get the razer. If you don't want to play games, get the macbook. 

blade will game wayy better but there is other brands that game just as good with lower price tag. Ofc if you are considering about the looks also blade is the king of looks+ performace, kindly have a look at auros gaming laptop.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Unless you want to Water cooled the macbook like Linus did ... Get the Blade .... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Unless you want to Water cooled the macbook like Linus did ... Get the Blade .... 

you know that macbook is one of three lines of macbooks, right?

Lol that retarded one port thing doesn't compare to the pro witch is a great laptop for most uses. 

muh specs 

All parts black

not at all. If you get a macbook pro with thunderbolt 2 and NO dedicated gpu, you can take advantage of optimums and put an nvidia gpu in a dock that outputs on the laptop's screen with little performance loss. 

So that's an option if you want to get an older cheap gpu for the laptop. But your laptop is a laptop, and the macbook works great as that. Laptop gaming is expensive, especially with laptops like these that are not upgradable. 

So I wouldn't think it's worth it to spend twice as much if you already desktop game. 

Then no.

If you mentioned you had a gaming PC, the blade would be better. But since you have a PC, MBP.

You ask about gaming performance on the macbook then say you won't be gaming. If you want to play games at all, get the razer. If you don't want to play games, get the macbook. 

blade will game wayy better but there is other brands that game just as good with lower price tag. Ofc if you are considering about the looks also blade is the king of looks+ performace, kindly have a look at auros gaming laptop.

Sorry guys I guess I worded it wrong.. what I meant was

I would like a laptop for occasional gaming (like when on trips or when I'm not home) cause when I'm home I can use my desktop, I was just wondering if a MBP would be sufficient for something like CSGO or GTA5 on low. Microsoft store has the Razerblade with the gtx970m for 2160$ with education discounts. Or I can get a macbook pro retina 13 for around 500-600$ less. All canadian prices.

Sorry guys I guess I worded it wrong.. what I meant was

I would like a laptop for occasional gaming (like when on trips or when I'm not home) cause when I'm home I can use my desktop, I was just wondering if a MBP would be sufficient for something like CSGO or GTA5 on low. Microsoft store has the Razerblade with the gtx970m for 2160$ with education discounts. Or I can get a macbook pro retina 13 for around 500-600$ less. All canadian prices.

I think you'll be happier with the macbook. Come on haters. But laptops are my specialty, and while performance wise it doesn't match, it's a great fucking laptop.

The razer blade is a macbook knockoff in a good way, so between the two they are really similar on disadvantages and benefits, but the macbook is simply great. 

Plus that option for adding a gpu dock at a later point if you wanna spend money later on, you can have a great machine to take with you and game. 

You'll be happy with either, so make the decision based on what you think will be worth your money

muh specs 

All parts black

I think you'll be happier with the macbook. Come on haters. But laptops are my specialty, and while performance wise it doesn't match, it's a great fucking laptop.

Plus that option for adding a gpu dock at a later point if you wanna spend money later on, you can have a great machine to take with you and game. 

So where did you hear about this GPU dock? sounds great! maybe with the extra 500$ I save I can purchase a GTX970 .. stupid canadian pricing :/

I agree with syntax.

Is it the Macbook with the Gt 720?

I agree with syntax.

Is it the Macbook with the Gt 720?

Nope I believe it doesn't have that. it has the intel iris 6100..

wot are this question

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

So where did you hear about this GPU dock? sounds great! maybe with the extra 500$ I save I can purchase a GTX970 .. stupid canadian pricing :/

I wouldn't recommend that, just save whatever gpu you upgrade from in your desktop. And when you are on trips, take you 970 out of your desktop and take it with you

If you want help with that, there's a thread here,

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/277270-macbook-pro-with-a-gtx-980-setup-guide-benchmarks-egpu-setup-windows-81/

and there's people on a forum called thenotebookreview that have done this themselves and can help you with the fine details more than people here can, including which macbooks can do it and how to set it up 

It's known as an eGPU, and it's really taken off after thunderbolt 2 and alienware and MSI's things. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I wouldn't recommend that, just save whatever gpu you upgrade from in your desktop. And when you are on trips, take you 970 out of your desktop and take it with you

If you want help with that, there's a thread here,

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/277270-macbook-pro-with-a-gtx-980-setup-guide-benchmarks-egpu-setup-windows-81/

and there's people on a forum called thenotebookreview that have done this themselves and can help you with the fine details more than people here can, including which macbooks can do it and how to set it up 

It's known as an eGPU, and it's really taken off after thunderbolt 2 and alienware and MSI's things. 

Looks good, how much is that dock typically?

Razer Blade

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

you know that macbook is one of three lines of macbooks, right?

Lol that retarded one port thing doesn't compare to the pro witch is a great laptop for most uses. 

Sorta ... I just remember the Macbook Pro and the Air so ... yeah ... Also I couldn't help but making that reference ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Looks good, how much is that dock typically?

not cheap. BUT at least the capability is there for in the future. 

muh specs 

All parts black