R9 Fury X 4GB vRAM? Is 4GB good a 4K?

Should I get this card planning on playing in high refresh rate 1440p

With if the Far Cry 4 fps at 4k is correct then you should get this card. What games do you play? I can tell you how much vram they use at 1440p.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I would really like to see what games you are playing because even at 4k nothing exceeds 4gb that I know of. Although I am sure it won't be long before games start to.

GTA 5 4K uses more than 4GB of Vram but that is with MSAA turned on.

Then you have stellar looking games like the Witcher 3 which hardly uses any memory at all

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

I would really like to see what games you are playing because even at 4k nothing exceeds 4gb that I know of. Although I am sure it won't be long before games start to.

I don't know about other games but Shadow of Mordor with HD Texture pack uses 6GBs of VRAM.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Should I get this card planning on playing in high refresh rate 1440p

Yeah, the concerns concerning the 4GB frame buffer doesn't apply to 1440p games, and attempting to render more frames won't eat up more memory. But you should wait for benchmarks before making a decision.

With if the Far Cry 4 fps at 4k is correct then you should get this card. What games do you play? I can tell you how much vram they use at 1440p.

World of Warcraft:Warlords or Draenor
League if Legends
Hearthstone
Overwatch(when it comes out)
Battlefield:Hardline
Witcher 3
Star Wars Battlefront(when it comes out)
Batman Arkam Knight (when it comes out)
Shadow of Mordor
modded Minecraft 
COD:Black Ops 3 (when it comes out)
PvZ GW2 (When it Comes Out)

I don't know about other games but Shadow of Mordor with HD Texture pack uses 6GBs of VRAM.

Source please?

I have spent like 15 minutes looking around for Shadow of Mordor's actual memory usage. With no conclusive evidence, it seems the 6GB VAM requirement is just bad recommendation coupled with a game which falls a bit short in the optimization department.

Wait for benchmarks and reviews before you decide.

Not doing this can set someone up for a very big dissapointment

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Give me your time machine. I need it. for you know personal reasons :P

Its broken I used it last week, and then the carbfuturator went on it and Amzonia.Owrg isn't using drones to deliver in my area yet so I'm still wait for the new piece to arrive Via snail mail. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

With the new furyX launching see that being the only non rebrand card on the market says that it will have 4GB or vRAM. Should I be worried especially against its competition the 980 ti. Acording to benchmarks it already beats a OC 980 ti so the only thing holding this thing back is the vRAM should that matter at 1440p and 4K?

We don't know benchmarks for hbm which is completely different than the other ram so don't speculate really until then

Here's my GTAV result.  1440p.  8xMSAA, Ultra / Very High / max draw distances.  I get about mid-70s FPS.

Untitled.png

It can be the worlds fastest memory, it doesn't matter if it's having to go through the system memory because it's completely full.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

For me, GTA V uses 6GB of VRAM with everything maxed (and I mean everything) at 1440p.  4K I wouldn't be surprised to see way more than that.

Ahhh gta 5 will do it. But I don't know of anything else. Gta uses a stupidly high amount for some reason I can't understand.

No it does not. It says that in the menu but even at 4k with the texture back it uses close to 4gb. I believe it says 6 because at the time there was only the titan that had more than 3gb which wasn't enough for those textures.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

World of Warcraft:Warlords or Draenor
League if Legends
Hearthstone
Overwatch(when it comes out)
Battlefield:Hardline
Witcher 3
Star Wars Battlefront(when it comes out)
Batman Arkam Knight (when it comes out)
Shadow of Mordor
modded Minecraft 
COD:Black Ops 3 (when it comes out)
PvZ GW2 (When it Comes Out)

WoW will  probably not use that, LoL will not use that much, and Shadow of Mordor will use it but you will be fine. I don't know about the games that have not come out.

Source please?

I have spent like 15 minutes looking around for Shadow of Mordor's actual memory usage. With no conclusive evidence, it seems the 6GB VAM requirement is just bad recommendation coupled with a game which falls a bit short in the optimization department.

alright I will get a screen shot for you.

Ahhh gta 5 will do it. But I don't know of anything else. Gta uses a stupidly high amount for some reason I can't understand.

No it does not. It says that in the menu but even at 4k with the texture back it uses close to 4gb. I believe it says 6 because at the time there was only the titan that had more than 3gb which wasn't enough for those textures.

Actually it does use it at 4k. I have Titan X SLI. I'm going to take a screen shot and show you.

My Titan X's

014_zpssounor6p.jpg

Found a quote from Guru3D regarding Shadow of mordor Vram usage.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_review,16.html

''Once I fire off an even higher resolution of 5K Ultra HD at 5210x2880 then that is where we start to see the new limitation, but even then the game is very playable at just over 30 FPS at Very High image quality settings. At that point we use close to 4.5 GB of VRAM.''

Do note that this is at 5k resolution, as opposed to the 4k resolution were are discussing.

Untitled.png

Here's GTAV with BF4 using 200% supersampling and 4xMSAA maxed everything.  Round abouts 4.2GB VRAM usage.  200% supersampling @ 1440p I think is pretty close to 4K.  I get about mid 60s FPS in heavy detail areas.  If I tone BF4 down to 100% sampling it drops to about 2.4GB VRAM.

The point is we're banging up against 4 GB usage pretty easily *now*...a year from now good luck to 4GB people.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

But the 390x has 8Gb of vRAM. 

Cause they want you to believe that HBM reduces the need for as much VRAM capacity as GDDR5. Which is fine for one card, but people who want to do CrossFire Fury/X:

BmNyDeQ.jpg?2

"Rawr XD"

We will have to wait for the new Fiji driver and independent reviews at 4K to definitively answer this question.

AMD had made a bold claim that current gen GPUs and games are unintelligent and wasteful in terms of what they store in VRAM and they claim that this will be alleviated with a more intelligent driver for the Fury. Once again the proof will be in the independent reviews...

expressed confidence in AMD's ability to work around this capacity constraint. In fact, he said that current GPUs aren't terribly efficient with their memory capacity simply because GDDR5's architecture required ever-larger memory capacities in order to extract more bandwidth. As a result, AMD "never bothered to put a single engineer on using frame buffer memory better," because memory capacities kept growing. Essentially, that capacity was free, while engineers were not. Macri classified the utilization of memory capacity in current Radeon operation as "exceedingly poor" and said the "amount of data that gets touched sitting in there is embarrassing."

With HBM, he said, "we threw a couple of engineers at that problem," which will be addressed solely via the operating system and Radeon driver software. "We're not asking anybody to change their games."

http://techreport.co...ory-explained/2

If Fury hits a VRAM bottleneck and stutters in modern games at 4K then bad news for AMD. If not they're good...

Yeah but why would a lower end card have more vRAM

Ask AMD? I really don't know why, its just what it is as far as I know. 

1st gen HBM AMD was limited to 4gb there was talk of being able to do 8 through an interposer something or another(forgive me im tired) but the 390x is basically the same card as the 290x 8gb that sapphire released

Fractal Design Define S | Asus X570 TUF Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600mhz ram | Nvidia RTX 3080 FE |

Corsair RMx 1000w PSU | Corsair H115 Elite Cappellix | Micron M600 M.2 256Gb SSDs | WD SN850X 4TB NVME | 2TB Samsung 860evo | 1440p 240hz LG UltraGear 27GR95QE OLED | 1440p 155hz Dell S2719DGF | LG 29WP60G-B 1080p 75hz Ultrawide | GMMK TKL | Glorious Model O-

aiming for 60FPS at 4k for a single card with 4gb of vram - you are not usually limited by the 4gb of ram.

add two high-end cards together though and the limiting factor on how pretty you can make the game look is the vram. in some instances when adding a second card it will be likely you cant even increase the settings you played at with a single card as the VRAM available just isn't enough.

If AMD had the option to use more than 4gb of HBM on the Fury I assure you that they would have.

Bring on Pascal.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

We will have to wait for the new Fiji driver and independent reviews at 4K to definitively answer this question.

AMD had made a bold claim that current gen GPUs and games are unintelligent and wasteful in terms of what they store in VRAM and they claim that this will be alleviated with a more intelligent driver for the Fury. Once again the proof will be in the independent reviews...

If Fury hits a VRAM bottleneck and stutters in modern games at 4K then bad news for AMD. If not they're good...

I feel like memory handling is going to have to be optimized for hbm to take advantage of the improved bandwidth otherwise the game is going to just see it as if you had 4gb of gddr5

Fractal Design Define S | Asus X570 TUF Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600mhz ram | Nvidia RTX 3080 FE |

Corsair RMx 1000w PSU | Corsair H115 Elite Cappellix | Micron M600 M.2 256Gb SSDs | WD SN850X 4TB NVME | 2TB Samsung 860evo | 1440p 240hz LG UltraGear 27GR95QE OLED | 1440p 155hz Dell S2719DGF | LG 29WP60G-B 1080p 75hz Ultrawide | GMMK TKL | Glorious Model O-

This is the same AMD that took 6+ months to fix their frame metering issues with Crossfire last year.  Wouldn't expect much from them in the not-shitty driver department.

In anything above 1440p yeah under that 970 is better... If you OC it.

If you oc the 290x?

The FuryX is faster than the Titan X, watch the FC4 and 3dmark benchamrks

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

This is the same AMD that took 6+ months to fix their frame metering issues with Crossfire last year. Wouldn't expect much from them in the not-shitty driver department.

I absolutely would expect much considering how good their current drivers are on windows. Been using a 290 for a year; great experience, even on windows 10. This is a new GPU and they said they already had engineers on it. AMD when they do divert resources to a problem does get the job done. The area where I am critical of AMD drivers is Linux gaming performance; again they are not interested enough in fixing it because they view the target market as tiny. For Fiji on windows they will do what it takes.

The FuryX is faster than the Titan X, watch the FC4 and 3dmark benchamrks

290x can barely OC you'll be lucky to get one with the aftermarket coolers. I know the FuryX is supposedly better but like all the 970 and 290x which card is better. Its going to go down like that.

Guy one:Oh 980 ti is better because 6gb of vRAM will set you and soon the 4gb of vRAM will not be enough. Guy two: That doesn't matter HBM dude.

Shadow%20of%20Mordor_zpsp7qqft2w.png

Hmmm 6GB's of VRAM on Shadow of Mordor with HD Texture Pack

Shadow%20of%20Mordor%202_zpsacloonjg.png

Looks like it even reached 7000MBs of VRAM at 4k but went down for 1440p.

I have way too many games. Is 489 too much?

Shadow%20of%20Mordor%203_zpstbecsrqq.png

290x can barely OC you'll be lucky to get one with the aftermarket coolers. I know the FuryX is supposedly better but like all the 970 and 290x which card is better. Its going to go down like that.

Guy one:Oh 980 ti is better because 6gb of vRAM will set you and soon the 4gb of vRAM will not be enough. Guy two: That doesn't matter HBM dude.

290x barely?

Brah, my card is under average for an ocer, and I can easily get +250 on core and +400 on mem

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni