"Kids Who Grow Up Using iPads Have Restricted Vocabularies"

EChondo

http://www.businessinsider.com/kids-who-grow-up-using-ipads-have-restricted-vocabularies-2013-7

The iPad generation will learn fewer words, experts fear, as using text messages, emails and computers to learn could be stunting children’s vocabulary. "These are visual rather than auditory, so it is likely that they will end up with a lower average number of words than previous generations," he said.

In my opinion, it's the child's and parent's fault. 

I have been growing up with video games since I was 2-3 years old. I have always excelled in English at my school and can read better and faster than most of the people I know. Why? Because I played video games that used higher vocabulary than I was used to, ergo I learned the meaning and use of the words, I also always had subtitles on my video games so I can read them(I had bad hearing as a kid).

The funny part, I hate reading books. I have only read 2-3 actual books in my 17 years of living.

I'm calling BS on this.

I learned more english from Pokemon than from actual classes when I was in kindergarden and primary (English is not my fiorst language too, though)

Do you want to learn a lot of accents and words?? Mass Effect did it for me

If it bothers that much just turn subtitles.

Of course, if they are talking about those boys and girls who only plays Call of Duty esque shooters, then I believe we may have a problem

I have worked hard all my 13 years of being alive with the help of my parents to have a strong vocabulary, for three summers all I did was read, all 100 books. And know what? I still have horrible grammar and vocabulary. It isn't ipads 

I learned the word "simultaneous" from the back of an NES game box.  I read it off of, I believe "Jackal" at the rental store.

So one moment technology is in the news for helping us learn, while it is also in the news for causing issues with our learning. I swear people are basing these "studies" off all of cherry picked kids who will help them prove a point.

Dude, don't get me started on the validity of statistics.

What I think is ridiculous is that a generation of kids is being called "The ipad Generation".

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

We have iPads given to each stupid in my highschool and all 3 middle schools |:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

What I think is ridiculous is that a generation of kids is being called "The ipad Generation".

the iGeneration perhaps?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

We have iPads given to each stupid in my highschool and all 3 middle schools |:

Lucky, you have a free iPad.

TBH, the internet is making the dumb dumber (#yolo #toocoolforeverything #ilike#s etc shit) and the smart smarter. (of course those aren't real words, but it's easier to read)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

the iGeneration perhaps?

haha yeah but then apple would sue the iGeneration

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Lucky, you have a free iPad.

TBH, the internet is making the dumb dumber (#yolo #toocoolforeverything #ilike#s etc shit) and the smart smarter. (of course those aren't real words, but it's easier to read)

Right? and they aren't free, we pay 100$ a year for them but we did before the iPads as  textbook fee, so really there just replacing the textbooks with iPads which is failing horibbly.

haha yeah but then apple would sue the iGeneration

I wouldn't doubt it.

the iGeneration perhaps?

I will never let my child play with an ipad instead of me. I know a lot of parents that are more worry about gossip than his own children.

I will never let my child play with an ipad instead of me. I know a lot of parents that are more worry about gossip than his own children.

I think a lot of parents see iPads, consoles, phones ect as cheap babysitters ~_~

This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. If the younger generation ends up with a lower vocabulary when they grow up then devices like the iPad are not to blame. It's the people who are responsible for educating these children that would be responsible, so the parents, teachers, the entire educational system, etc etc.

What? What are the parents doing this whole time? What happened to reading your kids a story at night?

And visual instead of auditory is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Books are visual. 

As an ESL kid, I read tons of books and watched TV, both helped my English. What really drove my English forward was videogames that were storybased, MMORPGs which required social interaction, and internet forums.

Parents should really encourage videogames with a storyline and dialogue instead of games like Angry Birds, as well as giving the kids books and showing them how awesome they can be.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

If they use the tablet just for media like videos I can understand that but it's also capable as a good ebook reader. Because of that I don't place blame on the tech, I place it on the parents. Encouraged your kids to read instead of watch YouTube videos or Netflix all day.

I hate reading. It's too slow and makes me feel like my brain is rotting(when reading novels). I can read the internet just fine though.

I think video games have corrupted me. I'm old enough and am an American so reading books in english isn't as important to me but to kids or people learning a language they need to read, but you cam read digitally.

I read more on my computer than I do looking at billboards and stop signs so I don't see how electronics would be taking away from reading.

I hate reading. It's too slow and makes me feel like my brain is rotting(when reading novels). I can read the internet just fine though.

I think video games have corrupted me. I'm old enough and am an American so reading books in english isn't as important to me but to kids or people learning a language they need to read, but you cam read digitally.

I read more on my computer than I do looking at billboards and stop signs so I don't see how electronics would be taking away from reading.

Kids aren't on tablets to read news articles or ebooks. Generally they are playing games like angry birds and cut the rope or watching videos. Those don't expand your vocabulary nearly as much as being exposed to text based media

No the tablets are not the problem. It is the lazy ass parents that get them a tablet, load it with games and keep it charged just to shut the kids up. Parenting is pathetic now a days and I see it all over the place. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Kids aren't on tablets to read news articles or ebooks. Generally they are playing games like angry birds and cut the rope or watching videos. Those don't expand your vocabulary nearly as much as being exposed to text based media

Which the parents need to make sure they are reading on a tablet, book, or newpaper.

Best way to fix this is to give a kid an RPG like TES, The Witcher, KotOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Mount and Blade, etc. basically they would HAVE to learn to read well if they want to finish the gameXD I mean good luck selecting dialoge options if you can't read...

Thank the Buddha I don't have any Apple products.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard