Why Is Specs Of Games Increasing like a money plant.

Ashish231
Go to solution Solved by wrath,

Maybe you are right but I think that a little of specs can be lowered while manufacturing.

If Tech can improve,why can't it find a way to improve this.

This is what I thought when I started.

true :P

Hi everyone,

My question today is

Are video games having an increase in specs at a very high rate?

Well I found that specs are growing more faster than me

In 2014 it is all a gtx 760 and now it is gtx 770 4gb.

Why do developers do this?

They say it is next gen and next gen rules are you spend 400$ on gpu 230$ on cpu and go for a motherboard upgrade.

My neighbour bought a gtx 680 some years ago.His pc was around 1800$ and now he is running unity st dumb settings.

The level of increase should be

750 ti for 2015

760 for 2016

Gtx 970 for 2018

This will be great but why specs are high?

Do developers want their games Lagg full and not good sellers?

well, why not use the power thats currently available 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

I'd be more than happy if developers kept pushing the limits of performance.

AAA titles in particular. They should be the pinnacle of performance, not targeted to the lowest common denominator.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you have the ability to push hardware, why not utilize that?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Devs want to make great games, with great games comes innovation in graphics, AI, animation, physics all of which can somewhat affect the performance of that said title requiring more GPU/CPU horsepower. To be honest the graphics haven't really been getting that much better. I mean I still can play all the latest games with a 660ti at 1080p, for as long as the consoles are around my GPU will be strong. Games like star citizen however not so much. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

People want the best looking games possible and there are and this forum is a perfect example of people who are willing to pay for that ability. And that is what the most of the PC gaming industry caters to, the people with the money. Then there are the people who won't pay for that and that is why medium and High settings exist. Witcher 3 minimum is a 660 or 7870 - these are old cards and not very expensive. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Yes this is nothing new everything in games is increasing except game play.

I don't have problem if specs didn't increase than we would still be using 128mb ram 50gig hdd Pentium 4.

It is not my question

My question is increase in gpu specs is very high.

Don't you look at bf4 and hardline

It is simple you game than spend every year.

Video games are a time pass.

1200$ for them is enough for 4 years.

Video games are not a car which needs servicing

A i5-4690k and GTX 970 will run games at 1080p for years to come. My opinion a $1000 PC Which is a reasonable price to allow future proofing and get enough power for 1080p, You can easily fit a 970 and 4690k in a budget like that. It's when you get into the $600s when it starts becoming you gotta upgrade every few years. Consoles barely get graphic boosts and ect, because simply they can't handle BIG boost.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Some video games need servicing though - aka game updates. That being said, I'm not really sure how that has to do with the topic.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Some video games need servicing though - aka game updates. That being said, I'm not really sure how that has to do with the topic.

Aka AC Unity which is fairly,optimized now.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Everyone spends.

Will this spending be 500$ every year for a game

We just kinda did a leap with vram where in a short time 4gb is going to be reccomended. That will last 2-3 years them more will problem be needed. Also yakes years to make a gpu so we are getting new stuff thats already old hat to a the computer engineer working on 2018 stuff.

Yes this is nothing new everything in games is increasing except game play.

I don't have problem if specs didn't increase than we would still be using 128mb ram 50gig hdd Pentium 4.

It is not my question

My question is increase in gpu specs is very high.

Don't you look at bf4 and hardline

It is simple you game than spend every year.

Video games are a time pass.

1200$ for them is enough for 4 years.

The problem is that someone doesn't need to upgrade every year because it is not like the 660 that was recommended for BF4 is not fast enough to Hardline. Sure a 760 will get better FPS but that is yearly evolution. I would understand if the 660 that was recommended for BF4 became the minimum for Hardline, but that isnt the case. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

It is all good 1000$ is not much for me.

I want to clarify myself why specs are increasing look at unity and last light.

If you want to game buy a new pc every 2 years.

If a gpu 270-320$ can't push ultra only for 3 years,why the heck is specs.

Why you purchased a 670,for ultra settings and you reply it will work well at medium settings.

When I Google my topic I found nothing

It's partially down to the fact people like good graphics, i mean when people first play a game and see excellent graphics they instantly start to like the game, but if a one comes out with poor graphics its all 'boo not optimising for PC's, boo bad graphics, boo this, boo that.' 

Also good graphics give games a quality feel to them, and AAA games need that quality feel to be AAA. 

As to why it jumps cards so much, half of that is down to poor optimisation as developers rush to get the games out, the other half is down to the fact game engines are allowing more and more by the day, meaning that GPU of yours needs more umph to push those frames. 

If a gpu 270-320$ can't push ultra only for 3 years,why the heck is specs.

Why you purchased a 670,for ultra settings and you reply it will work well at medium settings.

When I Google my topic I found nothing

No offense, but some of your responses are not making sense. Technology continually advances, sometimes in leaps and bounds. Doesn't matter if you don't like it - it's going to happen.

It is all good 1000$ is not much for me.

I want to clarify myself why specs are increasing look at unity and last light.

If you want to game buy a new pc every 2 years.

Which to avoid this is why if people were smart they would have bought an i5 K series and have sold their video cards and bought new ones. In the course of now 3 years with my 3570k I have gone from a HD7770 to a 7950 then a 680 then a 780 ti and now I'm back to my trusty old HD7770 while I await a new video card for the summer. I loose money but not as much as having to rebuild my rig every year. Although I will be due for a cpu upgrade eventually. 

Spoiler

Than their should be an option bring your 670 and we give you a new 970 for 20$

Yes why sell yor old card tell nvidia to replace it.

Evga has their 90 day step program, where you can trade in a card you bought 90 days before and then you pay the difference for the newer one. 

But otherwise they would loose too much money as they won't sell that 670 for much. 

Spoiler

No, that's suicide. The company needs to make money - you can't just demand that a 670 be equal to what it was when you bought it. Is a Honda Civic from 1997 worth the same amount today as it was before? No.

lol youre a bit late to this bud, your expectations are too high.

developers will use the most powerful and costly graphics solutions out to date to make their games look as pretty as possible on the highest settings with the highest end graphics card config... thats how it always has been and always will be.

so if your 760 or whatever mid end card you have cant max out AAA titles, thats why, theyre meant to be played on the highest end card, anything below that calls for graphic tweaks

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)