What is the point of folding?

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

The main thing, it uses the computer gear you have already, that would otherwise sit idle when you are not using. This is what is the case for say 98% of the users out then... then you have the other 2% like myself for whom the folding bug hits and we do things like run multiple machine, custom folders, etc. :)

You help find cures for certain types of diseases, it uses your computers processing power to help solve equations I think, someone could tell me wrong, if your in a team if gives you points too, Linus Tech Tips has an official team!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

It uses mathematical equations to fold proteins in order to find cures to diseases as spreading the workload across a wide variety of computers will get it done faster.

It uses mathematical equations to fold proteins in order to find cures to diseases as spreading the workload across a wide variety of computers will get it done faster.

Proteins is the word I was looking for! :P

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

You help find cures for certain types of diseases, it uses your computers processing power to help solve equations I think, someone could tell me wrong, if your in a team if gives you points too, Linus Tech Tips has an official team!

Thanks!

Thanks!

No problem!

The main thing, it uses the computer gear you have already, that would otherwise sit idle when you are not using. This is what is the case for say 98% of the users out then... then you have the other 2% like myself for whom the folding bug hits and we do things like run multiple machine, custom folders, etc. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

As the title says, also i was wondering that why someone is spending thousands of dollars to folding?

And should i start folding@home?

Because they want to but you don't have to, I fold on the rig in my signature and she does fine :)

And answering the last question it's up to you make, join the thousands of us that make up a giant supercomputer for the good of mankind :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't personally but it is really cool way to contribute to science and maybe help in finding the cure for some disease. It's much more useful to society than solving useless math in bitcoin mining.  

Thanks.

WHAT IS THE POINT? HOW DARE YOU! lol

:o

Because they want to but you don't have to, I fold on the rig in my signature and she does fine :)

And answering the last question it's up to you make, join the thousands of us that make up a giant supercomputer for the good of mankind :)

:)

I am the 2%

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!